Men and women, and discussions thereof

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
I believe that most of these discussions tend to run afoul and be more or less useless, since in most cases when one is referring to a "man" or a "woman", they're simply approximating their idea on the basis of some simplistic, iconographic images rife with various clichés and generalizations of a "man", or "woman", not what a "man" or a "woman" actually is, or what even makes one such to begin with in any depth of knowledge or reverence to men and women historically (the same could likewise be said of "girls and boys", in the childish and immature discussions in which those terms are so often used to begin with).

And I doubt anyone has anything close to a perfect answer on this, which is why I find learning from historical examples of men and women of some lasting merit to be the best answer to such a perennial question.

Well. Have you ever noticed how eloquent the Founders were in their writings? They were very intelligent. Very elegant. Their stature was relayed through their expression. As were their principles or foundation, for lack of a better term. Today our leaders tweet with what appears to be the mental capacity of a 6 year old. It's the darnest thing. Odd as it sounds, today's society seems to lend the latter more merit than the former. The likely reason for that is the gradual erosion of virtue in society as a collective.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Well. Have you ever noticed how eloquent the Founders were in their writings? They were very intelligent. Very elegant. Their stature was relayed through their expression. As were their principles or foundation, for lack of a better term. Today our leaders tweet with what appears to be the mental capacity of a 6 year old. It's the darnest thing. Odd as it sounds, today's society seems to lend the latter more merit than the former. The likely reason or that is the gradual erosion of virtue in society as a collective.
I've read their writings, though I believe some tend to over-romanticize the past and assume "everyone was as eloquent as a founder", when they were considered very well bred, well fed, and well read for their day and age, the "average" person wouldn't have seemed nearly as remarkable.

I've read their writings, though I believe some tend to over-romanticize the past and assume "everyone was as eloquent as a founder", when they were considered very well bred, well fed, and well read for their day and age, the "average" person wouldn't have seemed nearly as remarkable.

Yeah, agreed, I was just using them as historical examples of men and women of some lasting merit. That was the premise of your question I believe. Seemed so anyway.

Forum List

Back