Men jailed for missing alimony payments

Totally ridiculous and outrageous law...and high time it was abolished/amended.

How can a man pay $78,000 a year for life if he's unemployed?
Answer; he can't.

Another perfect example of why a man should not to get married and have kids, or have kids out of wedlock these days.
He pays for the rest of his life, including being tossed in jail...no chance of ever being employed again then.
'Jailbirds' are at the bottom end of the employers' 'desire' ladder.

The average marriage only lasts 12 years or so, then the misery starts.
Men are better off saving their money and investing it in real estate...as this man surely would've been.

I always thought debtors prissions were outlawed? but people tell me they get away with it because it is not criminal but civil.suit? its messed up.

Would they throw a woman or mother in jail over this in the rare circumstance the woman was the bread earner? Given women are out earning men and women Marry up, marriage will die out

I always thought debtors prissions were outlawed? but people tell me they get away with it because it is not criminal but civil.suit? its messed up.

the jailing is not for debt

it is for contempt of court

he needs a good lawyer to get the terms renegotiated or ended altogether

sounds easy enough but he is probably so broke he can not retain one

Then he'll get a public defender.

possible but many states do not allow that

because contempt is not considered a "crime"

Wonder if women got arrested for this too it would better serve women's equality day

In South Carolina they dont provide one at least in my county they dont for child support, they throw you in jail for 6 months. (and no work release) a few years a go a lawsuit was making its way to the Supreme court about this dont know what happened to it.

thanks for the correction
To the poster about women, yea they throw them too in jail around here for non payment.

This is New York that does not have a mechanism for modification of support payments. It would never happen in California where he could have easily modified the support order.

The law does need to be changed.

Not sure about a single mother, just once in awhile read the local police blotter in the paper and women a few times getting busted for non payment of child support. What always kills me is how are you supposed to pay if you are stuck in jail for 6 months?

Alimony should have both a payment cap and longevity cap.

It shouldn't be used to keep someone in life of luxury, it should be enough to help assure a roof over their head and three square. None of this lifetime stuff, a max term would motivate the recipients to start learning some life and job skills. Maybe go work with Noomi at the fast food place.

Last edited:
In Australia, at divorce there is a settlement of assets, and the awarding of 'child support' payments responsibility, and custody of children responsibility.

The 'child support' award is only for support of the children, not the wife.
The wife is expected to get a job or go on the 'supporting parent pension' until the children are basically of school age. It used to be until the youngest child turned 16 but that was changed a while ago.

In most cases fathers seem to pay the child support, which is not set at a prohibitive figure.
...wanting to see their children happy and thriving.

If they have no job, and are living on welfare unemployment 'food stamps'/cash benefits, then they pay a reduced amount until they find employment again.
I've never heard of one person being jailed for non-payment of child support.

If someone just simply refuses to pay, the Family Court would likely garnishee their wages, take the child support payments out before they got their wages.

Forum List

Back