Men jailed for missing alimony payments

I've never heard of lifetime alimony support - if that's on the books in some states then it really is antiquated. I've only been aware of alimony being paid until a wife remarries. When I divorced my kids' dad, there was a $1.00/month clause that immediate alimony could be waived, but would give a spouse the option to ask for alimony at a later date if they were not remarried. I never wanted wanted the alimony so never asked for it, but I did get the child support.

Women's Lib has done a whole lot toward diluting what a woman can get from an ex. I'm just surprised that any "lifetime alimony" is on the books in any state. Orders regarding child support/alimony/custody can always be changed on motion for reviews.

I always thought debtors prissions were outlawed? but people tell me they get away with it because it is not criminal but civil.suit? its messed up.

the jailing is not for debt

it is for contempt of court

he needs a good lawyer to get the terms renegotiated or ended altogether

sounds easy enough but he is probably so broke he can not retain one

thanks for the correction
To the poster about women, yea they throw them too in jail around here for non payment.

Not usually. My nephew's mother was way (like, $10,000+) behind. They went to court, and the judge read her the riot act...forgave all the outstanding money, and reduced the payments! Wait, WHAT?!

Alimony is a crock of shit in the first place. If you get divorced then divide up the assets and that should be it. You shouldn't be paying an ex-spouse to live, as the contract of the marriage is over.

This is the garbage we have to deal with now that we allowed the government to get involved in our family lives. Alimony laws should be completely repealed.

Alimony should have both a payment cap and longevity cap.

It shouldn't be used to keep someone in life of luxury, it should be enough to help assure a roof over their head and three square. None of this lifetime stuff, a max term would motivate the recipients to start learning some life and job skills. Maybe go work with Noomi at the fast food place.

for alimony it depends on what the stipulations are in the divorce order

for child support it is until a child reaches a certain age or continues on to college

generally speaking

Alimony is a crock of shit in the first place. If you get divorced then divide up the assets and that should be it. You shouldn't be paying an ex-spouse to live, as the contract of the marriage is over.

This is the garbage we have to deal with now that we allowed the government to get involved in our family lives. Alimony laws should be completely repealed.

sometimes the assets can not be easily broken up

like in a profitable business they both lived off of for example

Forum List

Back