Mercedes Benz gains level 3 autopilot computer driving in Nevada. A first.

The problem with your idea is that ten different brands of automobiles will have ten different brands of computers which are designed to effect the operation of the vehicles in ten different ways.

In theory, that's no different than what's happening now, and no one has to waste money on an autonomous car.

And, again, who's liable in the case of a malfunction or accident?

Yeah there's no way we could possibly get different computers or even operating systems to communicate.........

Oh wait....

It`s unfortunate that we`ve turned our backs on rail travel and surrendered to the concrete and oil interests. Cars really suck IMO. There was a time when I really loved to drive but I was a teenager then.

Being able to hop in your own car anytime you want is liberty. A chicken in every pot and a car in every driveway was a goal of ours many years ago that we accomplished. It's cold up north and not many buses running today. Thank goodness I don't have to depend on that to get my shopping done today. I'm going to hit my remote start, when the inside of the car is nice and toasty, I'm going to my beverage store for my beer, cigarettes and lottery ticket. Then I'll go across the street to my drug store to buy some orange juice. Then when I'm ready to leave, hop back in my warm car and drive home.

Because of what driving entails, I would rather we people have the power that we still have over the car compared to a computer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. When a computer has to be restarted, it normally takes several minutes. Another question that I have is what will a car be doing during that time frame if it was ran completely by a computer? I don't know about everyone else, but I am not willing to finding.

Which is precisely why a computer would do a better job at it. If everyone drove the speed limit, stayed 100 ft from the person in front of them, didnt drive next to anyone, obeyed all the traffic laws and stayed inside the lines, how many accidents do you figure there would be? Now add in that no driver would be fatigued, distracted, fucking with their phone or radio, talking to the other passengers in the car, looking at the scenery, and that all the drivers would know exactly where in space all the other drivers around them were and what they were doing at all times, as well as had access to what was happening miles ahead of them on their route and was able to adjust what they were doing to accomdate that data and how many accidents do you think we would have then? Now add in none of the drivers would ever get angry at the other drivers or drive aggressively because of it. No one would drive too fast for conditions.
How many accidents then?

Humans are the problem on the road.

It`s unfortunate that we`ve turned our backs on rail travel and surrendered to the concrete and oil interests. Cars really suck IMO. There was a time when I really loved to drive but I was a teenager then.

It is a shame we do not have an actual working rail system in our country.
Being able to hop in your own car anytime you want is liberty.

One does not have to give up their car in order to have a functioning rail system in a county. It does not have to be one or the other. This is just American stupidity in play.

It is a shame we do not have an actual working rail system in our country.

One does not have to give up their car in order to have a functioning rail system in a county. It does not have to be one or the other. This is just American stupidity in play.

We dont have a functioning rail system in our country because people wont use it. Not nearly enough people want to get on a train and travel any significant distance that way.

We dont have a functioning rail system in our country because people wont use it. Not nearly enough people want to get on a train and travel any significant distance that way.

Because there is no good way to get from Point A to Point B in most cases.

Yeah there's no way we could possibly get different computers or even operating systems to communicate.........

Oh wait....

Well, explain.

Because I don't see it happening. Not even a little bit. We're not taking about simple communication between devices.

In 2020, there were 275,913,237 registered vehicles in the United States.

I have a hard time imagining an industry in which getting 276 million of anything to communicate, not to mention things which routinely travel all over the country. Hell, I lose cell service halfway between St. Augustine and Ocala. How in the Hell do you think we'd accomplish getting 276 million cars to communicate not only with each other, but with GPS towers when we can't even keep the phones working?

Well, explain.

Because I don't see it happening. Not even a little bit. We're not taking about simple communication between devices.

I have a hard time imagining an industry in which getting 276 million of anything to communicate, not to mention things which routinely travel all over the country. Hell, I lose cell service halfway between St. Augustine and Ocala. How in the Hell do you think we'd accomplish getting 276 million cars to communicate not only with each other, but with GPS towers when we can't even keep the phones working?

There are 380,577,528 cell phones in use in the US and they all communicate pretty darn well with each other.

Because there is no good way to get from Point A to Point B in most cases.

Is that the reason? The problem is (and I just looked this up to confirm) it would cost me more to travel from Boston to Charlottte on a train than it would on a plane. The train would cost me 200 and take 17 hours. The plane is 120 and takes 2.5. Why on earth would someone ride the fucking train?

Well, explain.

Really? Do you own a cell phone? You're currently talking to any number of people all over the world on the internet, which operates using a myriad of different computers, software, and operating systems.

There are 380,577,528 cell phones in use in the US and they all communicate pretty darn well with each other.

In 2021 I did a road trip from Florida to Boston to Seattle to Boston and back to Florida.

I lost count of all the times I lost cell service. Driving through Nebraska was pretty sketchy.

My iPhone communicating with your Android isn't nearly the issue...

Is that the reason? The problem is (and I just looked this up to confirm) it would cost me more to travel from Boston to Charlottte on a train than it would on a plane. The train would cost me 200 and take 17 hours. The plane is 120 and takes 2.5. Why on earth would someone ride the fucking train?

If you've got the time, it's a great way to travel...

In 2021 I did a road trip from Florida to Boston to Seattle to Boston and back to Florida.

I lost count of all the times I lost cell service. Driving through Nebraska was pretty sketchy.

My iPhone communicating with your Android isn't nearly the issue...
That has to do with tower availability not the ability of your phone to connect to them.

Really? Do you own a cell phone? You're currently talking to any number of people all over the world on the internet, which operates using a myriad of different computers, software, and operating systems.

Again, what about when "service" drops out for someone traveling cross country? Your phone loses cell service. Do you think a GPS computer in your car can't also drop service?

If more people used them they would cost less. But for most destinations there is not even the option of taking a train.

That has to do with tower availability not the ability of your phone to connect to them.

And that's EXACTLY my point.

We currently don't have enough towers to guarantee cell service when we're driving. Why would you simply believe that a similarly required service would always be available and never suffer outages?

Again, what about when "service" drops out for someone traveling cross country? Your phone loses cell service. Do you think a GPS computer in your car can't also drop service?
Yeah we couldnt possibly set up a network to alleviate that problem.... The signal you're car uses could use to communicate would be a much stronger signal as well. You arent going to win this argument as you clearly dont understand the technology well enough.

And obviously given the failure of a workable rail system not enough people agree with you.

Um, oh.

I don't care.

We travel by train on occasion. We enjoy it, and we'll continue to do it. Whether anyone else likes it or not isn't really a concern...

Forum List

Back