Mercedes Benz gains level 3 autopilot computer driving in Nevada. A first.

I have a Tundra as my personal vehicle and drive my F250 when I’m on company business

Why did you buy a Tundra?

Surely there are far less expensive and well-appointed pickups you could've bought to get you from point A to point B, right?

The fact of the matter is that no one actually believes that a car is as mundane as you described it. Cars are, whether we admit ot or not, a bit of a reflection of ourselves...

Why did you buy a Tundra?

Surely there are far less expensive and well-appointed pickups you could've bought to get you from point A to point B, right?

The fact of the matter is that no one actually believes that a car is as mundane as you described it. Cars are, whether we admit ot or not, a bit of a reflection of ourselves...

It's a 2005 Tundra. It's very dependable had 4 wheel drive and was purchased with cash.

Just because you ascribe some sort or meaning to what kind of car you drive doesnt mean I do.

Considering the amount of vehicles with software glitches and safety recalls, I would never trust a self driving vehicle.

Add to that, the winter climate I drive in already shuts down the sensors on my Jeep when covered in snow, nor could anyone program a vehicle to feel the road on black ice or drive in a blinding snowstorm.
I appreciate anti lock brakes, basic cruise control, and sensors to warn of cars in a blind spot, but actually enjoy the very act of driving.

Don't want to drive?
Take a bus.

The commercial showing a guy with his hands off the wheel while towing a 7,000 lb camper is just insanity IMO.

It's a 2005 Tundra. It's very dependable had 4 wheel drive and was purchased with cash.

Just because you ascribe some sort or meaning to what kind of car you drive doesnt mean I do.

Well, the fact remains is that there were probably less "fancy" available vehicles which would've gotten you from point A to point B.

Just because you deny that doesn't mean I do...

So it's harder to drive a car than fly a plane? That's odd since all it takes to get a license to drive is being 16 and passing a 20 min road test. I can assume you can get a pilot's license out of a gumball machine?
I am only trying to point out that computers are not perfect either. They too can have their issues just like a human being. What you need to remember is that computers can't fix themselves when they run into problems. We human beings have to do that which leads me to this question. Why have a computer do for us, what we can do for ourselves, especially something as life threatening as driving?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Nearly 43,000 Americans died in car accidents in 2021, and that's up 10% from 2020. Can computer driven cars be any worse?
Sadly, we won't know for sure until they are out there, but considering the fact that a computer can't fix itself when it runs into a problem, why take such a chance in finding out?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The first of it's kind to be solid enough to gain approval.
Level 3 is a car that drives itself, but will automatically alert a human sitting in the drivers seat to takeover if certain road conditions etc. are not met.
Designed for real world use, where a driver can go on trips and the car will do most of the highway driving itself without your attention.

When we get to the point of all cars being self driving, then it'll make things a lot easier

Sadly, we won't know for sure until they are out there, but considering the fact that a computer can't fix itself when it runs into a problem, why take such a chance in finding out?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

They don't fix themselves but they are programmed to shutdown when something doesn't go right. I know this because trucks have several computers in them and since this push to make trucks run cleaner, they're in the shop all the time now for these computer glitches.

I am only trying to point out that computers are not perfect either. They too can have their issues just like a human being. What you need to remember is that computers can't fix themselves when they run into problems. We human beings have to do that which leads me to this question. Why have a computer do for us, what we can do for ourselves, especially something as life threatening as driving?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It depends on your situation. Believe it or not, it takes talent to drive very well; talent a lot of people don't have. They hate driving and only do it as a necessity. When you do something you're not gifted for and hate doing it on top of things, you don't do it very well. That means accidents, traffic violations and so on.

For those people, those that used to drive but cannot any longer, those who never drove a vehicle, those who do not have the discipline to limit their alcohol intake when being served in public places, autonomous vehicles can prove to be very valuable and improve our road environment and safety in general.

Well, the fact remains is that there were probably less "fancy" available vehicles which would've gotten you from point A to point B.

Just because you deny that doesn't mean I do...
LOL. Maybe. I didnt set out to find the least fancy vehicle I could because it's not that big a concern of mine. I didnt put that much though into it because I dont care.

It depends on your situation. Believe it or not, it takes talent to drive very well; talent a lot of people don't have. They hate driving and only do it as a necessity. When you do something you're not gifted for and hate doing it on top of things, you don't do it very well. That means accidents, traffic violations and so on.

For those people, those that used to drive but cannot any longer, those who never drove a vehicle, those who do not have the discipline to limit their alcohol intake when being served in public places, autonomous vehicles can prove to be very valuable and improve our road environment and safety in general.

I never said there werent good and bad drivers. The simple fact is that if the all the driving were done by computers there is no way you could compete with them. A NASCAR or Indy driver couldnt. You just arent able to process or even have access to the amount of information a computer can in the time frame a computer can.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

No one said they were. Why do you all want to hold the computer to the standard that it has to be perfect but it's ok that humans are wrecking cars at the cyclic rate all over the world every day and that's fine?

LOL. Maybe. I didnt set out to find the least fancy vehicle I could because it's not that big a concern of mine. I didnt put that much though into it because I dont care.

So, ultimately, you wasted money. That's fine; God knows I've done it when buying cars. The reason you don't set out for the least fancy vehicle is because you don't want to be seen in a Yugo. That reason might not be something you recognize, but it's there. If your concern was simply to get from point A to point B, then a Tundra is far more an expensive option than you actually require...

I never said there werent good and bad drivers. The simple fact is that if the all the driving were done by computers there is no way you could compete with them. A NASCAR or Indy driver couldnt. You just arent able to process or even have access to the amount of information a computer can in the time frame a computer can.

The problem with your idea is that ten different brands of automobiles will have ten different brands of computers which are designed to effect the operation of the vehicles in ten different ways.

In theory, that's no different than what's happening now, and no one has to waste money on an autonomous car.

And, again, who's liable in the case of a malfunction or accident?

The first of it's kind to be solid enough to gain approval.
Level 3 is a car that drives itself, but will automatically alert a human sitting in the drivers seat to takeover if certain road conditions etc. are not met.
Designed for real world use, where a driver can go on trips and the car will do most of the highway driving itself without your attention.

I would be first in line if these came to market while I was still alive.

Just did a two day trip where I drove for 17 hours round trip and spent 16 hours at our destination. The drive back home was tough and there is no way I was as alert and awake as I should have been.

I trust computers more than I trust most drivers.

That's exactly correct !
When that occurs it's because some imbecile with a gun is out in the woods violating the law for his/her fun.
Do your homework and find out WHEN nearly all deer collisions occur.
You will find it's hunting season. Hard to believe anyone in their right mind would even question this fact.
Unless they just enjoy murdering so much.
That`s also rutting season when the males are on the prowl looking for deer hotties.

Deer-car collisions increase this time of year | Wildlife Crossing Structures | ARC Solutions - Animal Road Crossings.

No one said they were. Why do you all want to hold the computer to the standard that it has to be perfect but it's ok that humans are wrecking cars at the cyclic rate all over the world every day and that's fine?
Because of what driving entails, I would rather we people have the power that we still have over the car compared to a computer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. When a computer has to be restarted, it normally takes several minutes. Another question that I have is what will a car be doing during that time frame if it was ran completely by a computer? I don't know about everyone else, but I am not willing to finding.

Just did a two day trip where I drove for 17 hours round trip and spent 16 hours at our destination. The drive back home was tough and there is no way I was as alert and awake as I should have been.

Aye... we make a couple trips a year to Bonzi's mother.
10 hours on road, so really about an 11 hour trip. And that is with flying low on parts of West Virginia on lonely interstates. 85-90 mph.
It gets to the point of torturous. At 58 and 59 years old, we just can't do it anymore. So we split it and usually stay in either Charleston WV (shitty town) or Huntington, WV... (even shittier)
Anyway... it would be easy to make the trip if you didn't have to pay so much attention of driving about 5 hours of the trip in curvy mountains.

It`s unfortunate that we`ve turned our backs on rail travel and surrendered to the concrete and oil interests. Cars really suck IMO. There was a time when I really loved to drive but I was a teenager then.

Forum List

Back