Zone1 Is Atheism Depressing?

Don't think I am attacking your character. I am not. Suggesting you reconsider a stance on indifference is no attack. In other words, I doubt very much God was/is indifferent to your situation. Have you ever considered that you had all you needed to deal with the situation you were in? Reflect on your own definition of indifference. When you don't get what you want, is that indifference, no matter what being you believe should have provided what you want to you?
I learned to provide for myself. Not God. It took years of therapy, to realize that my situation wasn't normal and to learn to be more indifferent towards other people because that was the only life I knew. And if there was a God and he didn't stop it, yes he was indifferent.

Inspired by God. At what time? And why does the interpretation changes over time?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what you think the bible means would have probably gotten you burned at the stake by the people who were reading that same bible in the middle-ages. And they in turn had different views than their ancestors. The bible didn't change, so why the inspiration?
What is essential in understanding the Bible is to delve deep into the intent of the original author to his original audience. The King James English (and the way English speakers interpret an ever evolving language) has led to the misinterpretations you mention.

What is essential in understanding the Bible is to delve deep into the intent of the original author to his original audience. The King James English (and the way English speakers interpret an ever evolving language) has led to the misinterpretations you mention.
So, the original Aramaic one was correct? That one didn't condone slavery? That sounds like a very benevolent God.

Oh, you mean like being a 12-year-old asked by your mother to protect her because my dad just offered her out to have sex with?

I did that for her, "reasonable needs and directives indeed."
Was there another adult you could depend on for help in those situations? I'm guessing not if your mother didn't have an adult to step in.

Was there another adult you could depend on for help in those situations? I'm guessing not if your mother didn't have an adult to step in.
I'm guessing she was ashamed, understandable probably. So instead, she leaned on me. Traditional families don't divorce, and they don't admit that there's trouble in paradise.

I learned to provide for myself. Not God. It took years of therapy, to realize that my situation wasn't normal and to learn to be more indifferent towards other people because that was the only life I knew. And if there was a God and he didn't stop it, yes he was indifferent.
You wanted someone to stop what was happening. And you chose God to stop it. Now that you are older, who--in this world--could you have called upon to put a stop to it?

forkup that doesn't answer the question I am asking. Define God. Define what you are looking for.
The truth is what I'm looking for. Be it God or something else. I don't start from the conclusion God and try to backfill.

As for defining what I would accept as God. Some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power.

I'm guessing she was ashamed, understandable probably. So instead, she leaned on me. Traditional families don't divorce, and they don't admit that there's trouble in paradise.
What you described is beyond "trouble in paradise". Today (at least in my state) teachers undergo yearly training on what to do if what you describe is brought to their attention.

You wanted someone to stop what was happening. And you chose God to stop it. Now that you are older, who--in this world--could you have called upon to put a stop to it?
No, I didn't choose anybody to stop it, because I was the one doing the stopping. I'm simply telling you why I reject the notion that there's some benevolent God watching over me, and I sure as hell reject the notion that the 10 commandments by definition are helpful for a better life, and I'm using my personal experience to emphasize the point.

Last edited:
No, I didn't choose anybody to stop it, because I was the one doing the stopping. I'm simply telling you why I reject the notion that there's some benevolent God watching over me, and I sure as hell reject the notion that the 10 commandments by definition are helpful for a better life, and I'm using my personal experience to emphasize the point.
What would your Ten Commandments be? Is this one: Be totally indifferent to your parents?

What would your Ten Commandments be? Is this one: Be totally indifferent to your parents?
Sure. I don't believe being obligated to respect your parents is a good thing. Parents that deserve respect should get respect, those that don't, shouldn't. Same goes for everybody. I bolded the operative word.

As for what I believe the ten commandments should be.

I don't think I need 10. Maybe one.

Understand that your actions have consequences on other people, be it positive or negative, and act accordingly. Because in the end this life is the only assured life you get, so try to make it a good one.

Not as concise as the 10 commandments, but much more helpful in my book. And one I think everyone could get behind without reservation.

Last edited:
The truth is what I'm looking for. Be it God or something else. I don't start from the conclusion God and try to backfill.

As for defining what I would accept as God. Some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power.
Ok, so some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power. So what evidence would you expect to find for the existence of some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power? Would this some form of being be anything like what we would know?

Ok, so some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power. So what evidence would you expect to find for the existence of some form of Supreme being with de facto unlimited power? Would this some form of being be anything like what we would know?
I don't know. Anything would do. In the simple context of a Christian God, he could just reveal himself instead of leaving room for doubt. Maybe show in a double-blind study that prayer to this God actually works. Mind you I don't think that would be necessarily conclusive.

In my more expansive view, I don't have the foggiest idea. Laws of nature being violated repeatedly on order? Something else that couldn't possibly have a natural explanation.

I do know that there's a price of a million dollars for anyone who can prove anything supernatural. The only condition being that the people who give the price set up the conditions of the experiment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back