Meryl Streep Was Dead Wrong About MMA

I have no idea why Meryl Streep would want to pick a fight (pun intended) with the MMA crowd last night.

Clearly, Streep has never watched a UFC fight or set foot in an MMA gym. It's probably the most ethnically diverse place I've ever been. We have white guys, black guys, Asian guys, middle eastern guys, and women who train at my gym. Some were actually born in Brazil, Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe.

Streep's remarks further illustrate the isolated Hollywood bubble these people live in and precisely why their elitist disdain for middle America cost them the election.
I was pissed when i saw her mention MMA. Why do i have to feel bad for enjoying MMA? Why is she up there whining about bullys, while shes bullying people herself?

Fucking hypocrites.

Do you feel bad for watching two people fight?
Only if someone gets really hurt, which is extremely rare. Boxing has several deaths every year. So does football. There has never been a death in a professionally sanctioned MMA event, with a couple exceptions, but they were shit shows that didnt have medical personnel on site, and stuff like that. In total, there have been 4 deaths EVER in MMA.

Mohammed Ali wasn’t seriously hurt in any match either as I recall. He turned out okay; except for the last 30 years of his life where he ate dinner through a straw. I’m sure these guys in human cockfighting have no lingering health issues while satisfying the crowd’s bloodlust.
Boxing is more dangerous than MMA. Thats why they have multiple people die every year. The problem with boxing is you can get KOed, but if you recover within 10 seconds, theyll let you continue fighting, so boxers get a mini concussion, then another, then another, but they can still continue. In MMA, if you get rocked one time, the ref stops the fight immediately, therefore people arent suffering life altering damage to their brains, or at least not yet.

I hope they’re all able to live long, happy lives. Common sense should tell us that it’s not likely.

I was pissed when i saw her mention MMA. Why do i have to feel bad for enjoying MMA? Why is she up there whining about bullys, while shes bullying people herself?

Fucking hypocrites.

Only if someone gets really hurt, which is extremely rare. Boxing has several deaths every year. So does football. There has never been a death in a professionally sanctioned MMA event, with a couple exceptions, but they were shit shows that didnt have medical personnel on site, and stuff like that. In total, there have been 4 deaths EVER in MMA.

Mohammed Ali wasn’t seriously hurt in any match either as I recall. He turned out okay; except for the last 30 years of his life where he ate dinner through a straw. I’m sure these guys in human cockfighting have no lingering health issues while satisfying the crowd’s bloodlust.
Boxing is more dangerous than MMA. Thats why they have multiple people die every year. The problem with boxing is you can get KOed, but if you recover within 10 seconds, theyll let you continue fighting, so boxers get a mini concussion, then another, then another, but they can still continue. In MMA, if you get rocked one time, the ref stops the fight immediately, therefore people arent suffering life altering damage to their brains, or at least not yet.

I hope they’re all able to live long, happy lives. Common sense should tell us that it’s not likely.
Well its safer than playing soccer, and if we arent going to worry about soccer, then we shouldnt worry about MMA.

Seriously?

Mixed Martial Arts

pogo is a special kind of stupid.

Hey, if you're gonna drop jargon in a thread you owe it to the reader to essplain wtf you're talking about.

The average person KNOWS what MMA means. If you don't it's because you are living under a rock, or are deficient in some way.

Oh I doubt that. The OP never explained wtf he was referring to (until I asked). And I wasn't the only one who asked. No I never heard of it.
Sorry Pogo I don't even watch it and I know what it is...

You have to live under a rock not to at least have heard of Holly Holmes and Rhonda Rousey.

Uh ---- who? :dunno:

It's sport, not art. Just like baseball is sport, not art.

True, it's a sport but there can be art found in sports. Traditional art, such as the plastic arts, doesn''t own the definition of art and not all painting or acting would necessarily qualify as 'art'. Here's one definition of art - there are many that point outside the traditional understanding of what art is.

Definition of art
: skill acquired by experience, study, or observation

Even war can be an art.

The-Art-of-War.jpg

pogo is a special kind of stupid.

Hey, if you're gonna drop jargon in a thread you owe it to the reader to essplain wtf you're talking about.

The average person KNOWS what MMA means. If you don't it's because you are living under a rock, or are deficient in some way.

Oh I doubt that. The OP never explained wtf he was referring to (until I asked). And I wasn't the only one who asked. No I never heard of it.

You have to live under a rock not to at least have heard of Holly Holmes and Rhonda Rousey.

Exactly what I say about all the asshats Meryl claims I will miss if they leave the country.

Exactly what I say about all the asshats Meryl claims I will miss if they leave the country.

Again ---- who?

Well its safer than playing soccer, and if we arent going to worry about soccer, then we shouldnt worry about MMA.

Data is inconclusive.

Data is inconclusive.
No, its very well established and a fact. Take a look for yourself. The numbers arent even close.

List of association footballers who died while playing - Wikipedia

Fatalities in mixed martial arts contests - Wikipedia

Data is inconclusive.
No, its very well established and a fact. Take a look for yourself.

People have been playing organized soccer since before they began writing history down on this continent.
Sanctioned human cockfighting is a fairly new phenomenon to salve the bloodlust of the unwashed.

I dont know why she decided to pick MMA to attack, but I agree with her in that it's not an "art".

It's a sport.
Its Mixed Martial ARTS. If dancing is an art, than so is this...

MMA is competition, not art.

True. The only reason Ms. Streep brought it up was that the word "art" is being used to describe it and she, correctly in my view, takes issue with it.
Watching 2 practitioners of Taekwondo or judo try to take one another out like in the Olympics is a thing of beauty. This is a cage cockfighting takes place.
Big difference.

I have no idea why Meryl Streep would want to pick a fight (pun intended) with the MMA crowd last night.

“And if we kick ’em all out,” she said of all of the international stars, “You’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” The idea is, without all of the diversity present in Hollywood and at the Globes, we’d all be left with Trump and his supporters watching football and mixed martial arts, apparently the hobbies of the modern-day neanderthal.

Meryl Streep Was Dead Wrong About MMA In Her Golden Globes Speech

Clearly, Streep has never watched a UFC fight or set foot in an MMA gym. It's probably the most ethnically diverse place I've ever been. We have white guys, black guys, Asian guys, middle eastern guys, and women who train at my gym. Some were actually born in Brazil, Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe.

Streep's remarks further illustrate the isolated Hollywood bubble these people live in and precisely why their elitist disdain for middle America cost them the election.

Fucking hypocrites.

Hey I'm going to drop a few million dollars in a ring and if you want it you can train for months and years and see if you can beat the other guy up and take it. Why would I feel bad about that?

Sometimes questions just answer themselves….
So why couldn't you answer it yourself then? It's an obvious answer.

Data is inconclusive.

People have been playing organized soccer since before they began writing history down on this continent.
Sanctioned human cockfighting is a fairly new phenomenon to salve the bloodlust of the unwashed.
You can't possibly be this dense. You do realize the Roman games were going on full force during the time Jesus was alive right? And they had been a staple of entertainment for years before then. How is that fairly new?

Fucking hypocrites.

Hey I'm going to drop a few million dollars in a ring and if you want it you can train for months and years and see if you can beat the other guy up and take it. Why would I feel bad about that?

Its one of those things that fall into the category of "if you need it explained to you, you are not going to understand the explanation".

Data is inconclusive.

You can't possibly be this dense. You do realize the Roman games were going on full force during the time Jesus was alive right? And they had been a staple of entertainment for years before then. How is that fairly new?

Yeah, when we emerged from the dark ages, most of us realized that having battles to the death was not a good idea. Some have evolved more than others

Fucking hypocrites.

Its one of those things that fall into the category of "if you need it explained to you, you are not going to understand the explanation".
I agree, you seem unable to grasp the why.

Data is inconclusive.

Yeah, when we emerged from the dark ages, most of us realized that having battles to the death was not a good idea. Some have evolved more than others
What sport is there where the goal is to kill someone? Other than soccer when those fucking european twats lay on the ground after being touched by someone like they're gonna fucking die and need ICU treatment.

What sport is there where the goal is to kill someone?

Give it a few years...when the bloodlust is no longer salved by pulling a guy's arm out of it's socket. Promoters will make the rings smaller to force more action between the chickens.

Its hard to describe why it is wrong to someone who thinks paying two humans to fight one another in a cage is just fine and dandy. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Let me ask you this. If both guys "want it and can train for months and years and see if you can beat the other guy up"....and both agree to wear brass knuckles; would you still be okay with it?

Its hard to describe why it is wrong to someone who thinks paying two humans to fight one another in a cage is just fine and dandy. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Let me ask you this. If both guys "want it and can train for months and years and see if you can beat the other guy up"....and both agree to wear brass knuckles; would you still be okay with it?
Yeah, why not? They both agreed.

Forum List

Back