🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Message To NY City Cops

If you joined the force to carry a gun and hang with your buddies, crack nasty jokes and bully kids who hang out at the convenience store until they feel like they have no other recourse than to fight back because these things inexplicably make you feel more manly or powerful, if you band together to turn your back on someone speaking at a funeral, then you are an embarrassment.

Simple as that — you are an embarrassment.
The author is an embarrassment. He talks a LOT of shit based on his own small minded prejudices. A grand jury heard considered the evidence and came to a different conclusion. A conclusion based on fact, not the emotional bleatings of a dysfunctional mind, unable or unwilling to embrace reality. He didn't like the fact that the cops turned their backs on the pussy that turned his back on them, too bad. Time to put the big girl panties on a deal with it.

35 years ago the police had standards of height and weight. A cop would be big and burly enough to do that.
Thirty five years ago street cops would retire after twenty or thirty years of patrol service and brag about never having to pull their guns in the line of duty; obviously, you can't prohibit half of humanity from police work if you expect to find enough qualified recruits; however, elimination size and gender requirements forced a rethinking of how street cops enforce command presence. Maybe another generation or two will solve the problem?
You're a clueless idiot. Cops are much more accountable these days. The good old days included cracking skulls with hardwood and not a goddamn thing done about it. Not that it was all bad. But to imply it's worse now is silly. The waving of emotional red flags in front of emotional audiences is what's out of control. Maybe in a few generations we will go back to reporting instead of each journalist trying to outdo each other in sensationalism in order to be a hero.

Link sent to Dante by the FAMILY of a NYPD Officer: Message To NY City Cops

I used to live on E. 3rd St. in Manhattan, across from the Men’s Shelter. It could get pretty stinky but I was fond of a lot of these guys.

Tommy the Jacket Head, who wore a jacket over his head and walked in circles mumbling to himself and then blurting out things that could have come from Stephen Hawking or Søren Kierkegaard. There was an enormously fat guy who would blurt out "Armageddon! Armageddon! Hoom!” every 10 minutes or so, but otherwise...​

One night at about 3 a.m., I heard something going on outside and stood up on my window ledge to see what was happening. There was a cop, by himself, in a precarious situation.

A guy with a metal pipe over his head was standing in front of the cop. Two other guys were behind the cop and seemed ready to attack. An old bum was lying on the pavement and appeared to have been knocked unconscious by the other three.

The cop was white and everyone else was black. I am not sure that that matters but there you are.

Now if I had been the cop and had a gun, I cannot imagine that I would not have shot the guy with the pipe.

But he didn’t.

The cop managed to disarm the guy with the pipe by rushing him and pulling his arm over his shoulder, then handcuffing him almost all in one motion. Then he took out his gun and told the other two to get lost.

It was so insanely brave, that when I got down off of the window sill, I was on the verge of tears.

One cannot expect anyone to act as heroically as this man had — alone, in the middle of the night, with no one to see, no cameras, on a block most officers didn’t dare to go on — risking his life to not take another’s.

If you joined the force to carry a gun and hang with your buddies, crack nasty jokes and bully kids who hang out at the convenience store until they feel like they have no other recourse than to fight back because these things inexplicably make you feel more manly or powerful, if you band together to turn your back on someone speaking at a funeral, then you are an embarrassment.

But if you, in any small way, aspire to be this cop on 3rd St., 35 years ago — then, I’ve got your back. In any way in my power, I’ve got your back.

If you show this kind of integrity and courage, I dare say the whole city will have your back.

Lurie is an American musician, painter, actor, director and producer.
John Lurie A New Yorker s message to the cops - NY Daily News

I think I saw that show. Not sure if any of it is true but it makes for good bait.

Do all you snobs flock together so you can all be an ass? you got atta boys for being one too. amazing. people like you are a dime a dozen on this board
You attempt to condescend to others while revealing your own ignorance. Such lack of self-awareness is remarkable.

Well it looks the gangs, the thugs and the criminals have gotten MORE violent over 35 years. You don't like them don't ever call for their service. simple
"Looks like" based upon what? Crime data shows that violent crime is at its lowest levels since the 1970s.

Your posts seem to operate out of presumptions of conditions that don't actually exist.

Well it looks the gangs, the thugs and the criminals have gotten MORE violent over 35 years. You don't like them don't ever call for their service. simple
"Looks like" based upon what? Crime data shows that violent crime is at its lowest levels since the 1970s.

Your posts seem to operate out of presumptions of conditions that don't actually exist.
Presumptions? Overall crime rate is down but the gang killings, school shooting, rape of 90 yo, drive bys, etc. are something not seen much in the past. It's almost routine now, how can you dismiss it as a presumption?

The author is an embarrassment. He talks a LOT of shit based on his own small minded prejudices. A grand jury heard considered the evidence and came to a different conclusion. A conclusion based on fact, not the emotional bleatings of a dysfunctional mind, unable or unwilling to embrace reality. He didn't like the fact that the cops turned their backs on the pussy that turned his back on them, too bad. Time to put the big girl panties on a deal with it.

what in the whacky world of Icey-warm-weasels are you yapping about? There is no mention of this.

get a chain and wrap it around your neck

I used to live on E. 3rd St. in Manhattan, across from the Men’s Shelter. It could get pretty stinky but I was fond of a lot of these guys.

Tommy the Jacket Head, who wore a jacket over his head and walked in circles mumbling to himself and then blurting out things that could have come from Stephen Hawking or Søren Kierkegaard. There was an enormously fat guy who would blurt out "Armageddon! Armageddon! Hoom!” every 10 minutes or so, but otherwise...​

One night at about 3 a.m., I heard something going on outside and stood up on my window ledge to see what was happening. There was a cop, by himself, in a precarious situation.

A guy with a metal pipe over his head was standing in front of the cop. Two other guys were behind the cop and seemed ready to attack. An old bum was lying on the pavement and appeared to have been knocked unconscious by the other three.

The cop was white and everyone else was black. I am not sure that that matters but there you are.

Now if I had been the cop and had a gun, I cannot imagine that I would not have shot the guy with the pipe.

But he didn’t.

The cop managed to disarm the guy with the pipe by rushing him and pulling his arm over his shoulder, then handcuffing him almost all in one motion. Then he took out his gun and told the other two to get lost.

It was so insanely brave, that when I got down off of the window sill, I was on the verge of tears.

One cannot expect anyone to act as heroically as this man had — alone, in the middle of the night, with no one to see, no cameras, on a block most officers didn’t dare to go on — risking his life to not take another’s.

But if you, in any small way, aspire to be this cop on 3rd St., 35 years ago — then, I’ve got your back. In any way in my power, I’ve got your back.

If you show this kind of integrity and courage, I dare say the whole city will have your back.

I think I saw that show. Not sure if any of it is true but it makes for good bait.

as usual, you add little that is constructive or relevant

thank you. in times like this we all need to be reminded that some things stay ridiculously the same
:clap2:

But he didn’t.

thank you. in times like this we all need to be reminded that some things stay ridiculously the same

So you want us to believe the story because you want us to?

No room for any other opinions?

Must be your tolerance coming out.

I don't believe a word of it, sorry, it is to contrived, it is to silly.

I'm glad you believe in fairytales.

But he didn’t.

the sentiment is what counts.

go troll some other thread. maybe one populated with other mental misfits like yourself :rofl:

plenty of them round these here parts

You're a clueless idiot. Cops are much more accountable these days. The good old days included cracking skulls with hardwood and not a goddamn thing done about it. Not that it was all bad. But to imply it's worse now is silly
I never implied there was less accountability today; I pointed out how doing away with size and gender restrictions has meant more officers are more likely to draw their weapons as part of regular patrol routine than their predecessors, who were often violent and abusive toward suspects they encountered. In LA of 50 years ago, for example, any black man caught north of Wilshire Blvd after dark got his skull cracked but wasn't as likely to be shot as young black men are today.

But he didn’t.

the sentiment is what counts.

go troll some other thread. maybe one populated with other mental misfits like yourself :rofl:

plenty of them round these here parts

The sentiment is unrealistic, the thread is a fail. You set up a troll thread, live with it.

But he didn’t.

bump

But he didn’t.

Unbelievable...Your point?
BTW, back then to be qualified as a NYC PO, there height, weight, strength and endurance requirement which were significantly lowered by LIBERAL politicians and others who believed certain people were being shut out of the NYPD. So to satisfy the PC crowd, the standards were lowered. BTW fart old guys who were up for dismissal from the force, were permitted to remain NYPD officers.
Those minimum requirements were. Min Height 5 ft 9 inches. Body weight 175 lbs. MUST be a high school graduate. MUST be able to run a mile in 6 minutes. MUST be able to carry a 150 lb dummy up and down three flights of stairs.. That last requirement was also part of the NYC firefighter academy. And of course recruits had to pass a rigorous exam.

At least the author was able to properly use apostrophes. And, having read the article, the author was drawing a line between cops who function in unsung and heroic ways, and cops who join a force because they have issues with needing to be in control.

It's a legit point, but you have to be semi-literate to grasp it.
What the hell would you know about it?

Well, unlike Stephanie, I can read an article written at the high school level. Can you? It doesn't appear that you did, or you'd realize that height/weight requirements weren't discussed.

35 years ago the police had standards of height and weight. A cop would be big and burly enough to do that.
irrelevant to the points made
Is that so? Back then the NYPD officers were capable of doing the job.
I used to work in lower Manhattan. My security was retired NYPD. He told me to look around and see the new PO's that were working the area. 1st Precinct/ Financial District This was a low activity low crime area. THIS was where the smaller guys and female PO"s were working. They were assigned there because if they were in the 41st( Bronx Hunt's Point) or 75th( East New York), They'd be screaming for a transfer because in those areas, they had ZERO chance of being able to handle the job

Well, unlike Stephanie, I can read an article written at the high school level. Can you? It doesn't appear that you did, or you'd realize that height/weight requirements weren't discussed.
Nice dodge. The point is today's NYPD recruiting and hiring standards would make such a story extremely rare....
I can see what you're getting at here and quite frankly you should just stand down

Nice dodge. The point is today's NYPD recruiting and hiring standards would make such a story extremely rare....
I can see what you're getting at here and quite frankly you should just stand down

So, your claim is that a female officer would not have intervened? Interesting. You've got nothing behind your claims, so it's particularly interesting that you're suggesting that I should stand down.

Do women with opinions make you uncomfortable?

Eric Garner wasn't shot, he was choked to death. Perhaps big and burly is part of the problem.
No Garner was NOT choked to death.
The ME's conclusion as to the cause of death was incorrect.
Further examination of the body indicated Garner was not only morbidly obese, but had long term and extensive heart damage. He also suffered from high blood pressure.
This guy could have dropped dead from having to climb two flights of stairs. Or having to jog across the street to avoid being run over by a bus

Forum List

Back