Messed up quotes

I've accidentally done stuff like that too.but that's not what this is. In the first one, where I quoted Esmeralda being an idiot, the names of the multi quotes were actually switched....so saigon's quote said "esmeralda" and her's said "saigon".

Well just looking over it I didnt see a broken tag but doesnt mean one isnt there.

Of course people try to manipulate quotes all the time but I just dont see what someone would have gained there by doing so

Of course I also concede that people do shit all the time when there seems to be no reason for it. So who knows

yeah, who knows.

Why are you here again? Funny I just heard something about you and trojans somewhere...

I've accidentally done stuff like that too.but that's not what this is. In the first one, where I quoted Esmeralda being an idiot, the names of the multi quotes were actually switched....so saigon's quote said "esmeralda" and her's said "saigon". And I was only responding to the last post....so I didn't go into the body of the multi-quote at all.

And why would sallow neg me in this thread?

I think socks are at work.

oh for fuck's sake. Why do you always think that you're the smartest person in the room? :eusa_eh:

No, but I'm curious about why you're interested in this, when you didn't even appear in the thread until it happened....and I find it really bizarro that my firewall blocked a trojan in a thread that you suddenly appeared in, 24 hours after I heard that you have been known to attach them...

I don't know, it's just really weird. The whole thing is weird.

No, but I'm curious about why you're interested in this, when you didn't even appear in the thread until it happened....and I find it really bizarro that my firewall blocked a trojan in a thread that you suddenly appeared in, 24 hours after I heard that you have been known to attach them...

I don't know, it's just really weird. The whole thing is weird.

You heard wrong. And I had nothing to do with anything.

Sorry for posting in a thread that interested me ill bow out .

Hey, when I'm quoting people, the quotes are wrong. For example, here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/278855-illiteracy-and-posting-2.html#post6830228 I quoted esmeralda, but it looks like I'm quoting myself. Earlier, I quoted her, but it showed as a quote of saigon..it's like the quotes themselves are put into the wrong box...I quoted esmeralda, but it shows as a quote of myself, and her name goes with my statement....

:confused:

So far have only noticed it when I quote her posts, in that thread.

this happens every once in a while, i noticed it too and it happened to others.
sometimes i can fix it manually.
other times it keeps messing up, don't know why.
even computer systems aren't perfect!

When it becomes compound damage, effecting pages of quoted Posts, I many times edit out the damaged Quote portions and leave the response, salvaging the post. Where that can't be done, posts get deleted or trashed. The integrity of the quote is the priority, if it can be restored, in a timely fashion. What we do not want, is an end result that attributes quotes to the wrong poster.
When you see screwed up Quote Posts, it's best to report them ASAP, so it can be more easily repaired.

Hey, when I'm quoting people, the quotes are wrong. For example, here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/278855-illiteracy-and-posting-2.html#post6830228 I quoted esmeralda, but it looks like I'm quoting myself. Earlier, I quoted her, but it showed as a quote of saigon..it's like the quotes themselves are put into the wrong box...I quoted esmeralda, but it shows as a quote of myself, and her name goes with my statement....

no problem here. must be you

Exactly, it looks like it was intentional misquotes

Most often, sloppiness.

Yes, it does look like intentional misquotes, which is why I reported it.

It isn't sloppiness, either....I didn't touch the body of the quotes.....

jesus stop the paranoid rantings.

It happens with me and I know exactly what I'm doing. browser settings and a few other things interfere with posting sometimes. If one is using laptop or device with a touch pad other issues pop up.

Insertion of other element tags can sometimes get messed up because of an issue with pointer/mouse settings.

anything else I can straighten out before the paranoia runs too deep?

It has something to do with the way the board software is handling nested quotes, especially in quotes where a poster took apart the original quote to reply to specifics. You can usually fix it by editing your post and adding
Code:
[/quote]
and then previewing the quote until it displays properly. VBulletin is working on the problem the last I checked, but they haven't been able to consistently replicate it yet, which makes a fix difficult.

The quotes were messed with manually. Looking at the VB code, there is one "[./quote]" missing and one in lower case(like this: "[./quote]"
The quote function inserts upper case.

Exactly, it looks like it was intentional misquotes

Most often, sloppiness.

But not always. I have had it happen to me when I did not even edit the quote. There is a bug in the underlying software that they have not traced.

Most often, sloppiness.

It happens with me and I know exactly what I'm doing. browser settings and a few other things interfere with posting sometimes. If one is using laptop or device with a touch pad other issues pop up.

Insertion of other element tags can sometimes get messed up because of an issue with pointer/mouse settings.

You must have missed the other posters and the admin who said it's a problem.

You must have missed the other posters and the admin who said it's a problem.

Dante misses everything that is not Dante.

One of the key fixes, is to flag the Post. Another is to not Quote from a damaged String, if you can't fix it.

It's because you're all illiterate.

Forum List

Back