MH17 and a Guide to the SA-11

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere
With all the chatter and evolving news about the MH17 shoot down, I thought some of you might be interested in how the weapon system works that allegedly brought the airliner down. I placed it in current events instead of military because I think the nonmilitary folks might have a different perspective and raise discussion points from a different angle than we ex military types.

The following is an interview
"with Ivan Oelrich, a former vice president of the Strategic Security Program at the Federation of American Scientists, and presently an adjunct professor of international affairs at George Washington University concerning the SA-11 Gadfly."

I found this question especially timely given the debate about who was operating the system, the Russians or separatists. The answer is detailed and informative.

"In your own estimate, how long would it take for a crew to become proficient to use the SA-11 or SA-17? Could someone with say just a week or a months training be able to use such a system?"

Please share any questions or comments this interview sparks in your imagination. I for one would find them interesting.

The Ultimate Guide to the SA-11 Gadfly

The Ultimate Guide to the SA-11 Gadfly | The National Interest Blog

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
  • Banned
1024px-SA-11_Gadfly.jpg

With all the chatter and evolving news about the MH17 shoot down, I thought some of you might be interested in how the weapon system works that allegedly brought the airliner down. I placed it in current events instead of military because I think the nonmilitary folks might have a different perspective and raise discussion points from a different angle than we ex military types.

The following is an interview
"with Ivan Oelrich, a former vice president of the Strategic Security Program at the Federation of American Scientists, and presently an adjunct professor of international affairs at George Washington University concerning the SA-11 Gadfly."

I found this question especially timely given the debate about who was operating the system, the Russians or separatists. The answer is detailed and informative.

"In your own estimate, how long would it take for a crew to become proficient to use the SA-11 or SA-17? Could someone with say just a week or a months training be able to use such a system?"

Please share any questions or comments this interview sparks in your imagination. I for one would find them interesting.

The Ultimate Guide to the SA-11 Gadfly

The Ultimate Guide to the SA-11 Gadfly | The National Interest Blog

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

• Banned
It does appear the launcher may have been operating in its independent mode which is a double whammy.
1. Less supervision, command and control.
2. Lower capability. The tracking radar provides less target characteristic information than a search and acquisition radar.

It does appear the launcher may have been operating in its independent mode which is a double whammy.
1. Less supervision, command and control.
2. Lower capability. The tracking radar provides less target characteristic information than a search and acquisition radar.

Very useful, this explains the US conclusion "they didn't know".

Forum List

Back