Miami Beach Bowl Ends With Massive Brawl

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
The first Miami Beach Bowl was a notable one. Memphis beat BYU 55-48 in overtimel. The celebration, almost instantaneously, devolved into a brawl with full-on punches thrown. Multiple people at fault here. It appears Memphis players threw the first punches, though its not clear what those were in response to. BYU DB Kai Nacua had a notable low light with this sucker punch.​

VIDEO BYU vs. Memphis Fight Mars Ending of Miami Beach Bowl The Big Lead

I saw some thuggery going on with respect to both sides, but from what I understand ... there was plenty of trash-talking going on during the game. I'm hoping players get some sort of punishment. That kind of stuff goes on during games. But when a player on the winning team starts swinging his helmet at opposing players ... he needs to be kicked off the team.

Last edited:
MIAMI — Fans expecting to see a postseason game between BYU and Memphis not only witnessed two extra periods of football in a tightly contested aerial shootout, but an outright brawl as well.

Just moments after Memphis intercepted BYU quarterback Christian Stewart to beat the Cougars 55-48 in double overtime, several fights broke out between players scattered across the field.

As Memphis players celebrated their win, tempers flared, and eventually pushing and shoving turned into outright punches thrown - some unexpected blows to the back of players' heads.

The brawl continued for several minutes as players, coaches and administrations from both teams tried to restore order.

Videos shot on the field show Memphis offensive lineman Chase Johnson using his helmet as a weapon against a BYU player, while another shows a BYU defensive back Kai Nacua throwing a punch to the back of the head of a defenseless Memphis Tiger.

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe took to Twitter afterwards.

"We expect better of our athletes, even in the face of a difficult loss," Holmoe wrote.

"We intend to fully review this matter. I apologize to Cougar Nation."

The game itself, the inaugural Miami Beach Bowl, was a back-and-forth contest in which both teams traded punches, racking up over 900 combined yards of total offense.

After sixty minutes of play, both teams were tied at 45.

And even after the first overtime, the game was still tied, this time at 48.

However, instead of remembering this great, entertaining college football game for what it was - an instant, down to the wire classic - it is instead overshadowed by an unfortunate brawl between the teams.

Fight breaks out after Miami Beach Bowl between BYU Memphis KSL.com

I watched this game last night. It was a thrilling match that got tainted by brawling fools. I suspect some harsh punishment are in the mail for the players involved. What a mess!

BYU is a dirty team with a "dirty" fan base, particularly the fans more than the players.

Last edited:
BYU is a dirty team with a "dirty" fan base, particularly the fans.

What makes you say that Jake? I don't follow either team so I am interested in hearing your perspective on the matter.

I watched this game last night. It was a thrilling match that got tainted by brawling fools. I suspect some harsh punishment are in the mail for the players involved. What a mess!

I only got home in time to see the last OT and the fight. I won't comment what I think the real cause was.

I only got home in time to see the last OT and the fight. I won't comment what I think the real cause was.

It was very scrappy between the teams during the whole game. It was riddled with lots of after-whistle jawing and shoving.

It was very scrappy between the teams during the whole game. It was riddled with lots of after-whistle jawing and shoving.

I remember seeing one Memphis player talking smack about how the BYU player was on his back being beaten by a Memphis player ... even demonstrated it after the fight broke up. Totally classless.

I remember seeing one Memphis player talking smack about how the BYU player was on his back being beaten by a Memphis player ... even demonstrated it after the fight broke up. Totally classless.

I noticed that as well. Will see how the NCAA responds. Those players could face some serious sanctions from their universities and maybe even criminal charges.

ahh man i wish i could have seen it.that was far better than the rams/giants brawl that took place.THAT one i did get to watch and see the whole thing of,thats thr thing fun about college games though is thye REALLY get into it far more than the pros do.

Forum List

Back