Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves

I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning the history of slavery to kids studying the Emancipation proclamation.

I'd just like to see equal attention given to other aspects of American history, such as the religious objectives of the Pilgrims, the reasons for the Revolution, and the philosophical basis of The Constitution.

You mean equal attention like what. One month a year?

You're not allowed to talk about slavery that's racist...Not saying slavery was racist I mean people who bring it up are!!!

Deerrrp!

Remember the Alamo!

Slavery has had nothing to do with race. Ever.

Slavery has always been about labor thru the centuries.

Slavery in the USA most certainly did. Their entire race had to be demonized in order for the white establishment to be able to justify the existance of such an opressive system of labor. We're not talking about indentured servants either, were talking about an entire race that was enslaved. The children they had were born and sold as slaves. The Supreme Court upheld the notion that they were nothing more than property. Even Abe Linclon considered the entire race inferior. Why? Because that was what he was taught, hell its's what all white folks were taught.

Yes, slavery was 150 years ago. It should not be mentioned

But we should allow founding fathers opinions from 235 years ago determine our agenda

Don't be silly. It's okay to talk about slavery if you are a Republican beating your chest about Abraham Lincoln freeing the slaves.

May 23, 2013, By Susan Jones @ Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves | CNS News
First Lady Michelle Obama joins children learning about the Emancipation Proclamation at historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on May 22, 2013. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - In remarks at the historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, first lady Michelle Obama remembered the 20 slaves who toiled at the mansion around the corner from the White House, where "some of our nation's foremost leaders" lived and hosted parties.

The stories of those slaves "too often get lost," Mrs. Obama said.

Oh come on! Gimme a break Moochelle. It's been over a hundred years and nobody alive is responsible for it. You and your husband simply cannot stop playing the race card, can you?

:evil:

When is the Democrat Party going to apologize for their role in slavery and the injustices perpetrated against black since the civil war?

White feudal serfs in Europe were far worse off than black slaves in America for much, much longer and in much, much greater numbers.

There are far more descendants of white serfs than black slaves.

Do you ever hear about reparations due to descendants of white feudal serfs?

May 23, 2013, By Susan Jones @ Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves | CNS News
First Lady Michelle Obama joins children learning about the Emancipation Proclamation at historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on May 22, 2013. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - In remarks at the historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, first lady Michelle Obama remembered the 20 slaves who toiled at the mansion around the corner from the White House, where "some of our nation's foremost leaders" lived and hosted parties.

The stories of those slaves "too often get lost," Mrs. Obama said.

Oh come on! Gimme a break Moochelle. It's been over a hundred years and nobody alive is responsible for it. You and your husband simply cannot stop playing the race card, can you?

When is the Democrat Party going to apologize for their role in slavery and the injustices perpetrated against black since the civil war?
Good point. Now that all those former Democrats became Republicans, when ARE they going to apologize???

What in the world is controversial about her statement?? I disagree vehemently with the direction her husband is taking our country, but slavery is a perfect example of how laws can be unjust. We shouldn't forget it, and we shouldn't forget its victims.

two things wrong:

1. Shes black
2. She mentioned slavery while black

just couldn't help the race baiting...that's about all you petty people have to throw in people's faces...a person's SKIN COLOR

White feudal serfs in Europe were far worse off than black slaves in America for much, much longer and in much, much greater numbers.

There are far more descendants of white serfs than black slaves.

Do you ever hear about reparations due to descendants of white feudal serfs?

Who was talking about reparations? Hey, you know what else? God drowned almost the entire population of the earth at one time so those damn blackies should just STFU already since they had it so easy. They should be grateful we made them slaves.

What in the world is controversial about her statement?? I disagree vehemently with the direction her husband is taking our country, but slavery is a perfect example of how laws can be unjust. We shouldn't forget it, and we shouldn't forget its victims.

two things wrong:

1. Shes black
2. She mentioned slavery while black

just couldn't help the race baiting...that's about all you petty people have to throw in people's faces...a person's SKIN COLOR
Look at Stuphie, condoning the race-baiting OP. :lol:

Nope...all slavery is the same. Derp! Keep repeating that so you don't have to consider the differences.

being held against your will and forced to work for those holding you for no pay is just as bad if you are a White Jew in Egypt or a black man in America.

Should I continue to look at Egyptians as "former" slave owners?

Yes, I already said all slavery is the same. Or else it wouldn't be called Slavery. Now go play somewhere. Heres a ball...Doesn't matter if its a ball or some guys testicles because they're all balls right? Just like slavery.

Why find a way to differentiate between different types of slavery?

Your analogy uses semantics.....slavery of different groups of people does not relate to your analogy.

Now, if you said..."heres a ball, go out and play....." doesnt matter if it is a football or a basketball.....that is a better analogy to the topic at hand. And the truth is...both balls offer a good time....just as all forms of slavery are equally as bad.

Sorry...I will not differentiate between the slavery my anceswtors endured and the slavery ancestors of Black Americans endured.

I did not suffer the slavery of my ancestors and I did not participate in the slavery of black Americans.

To me, both are tragedies of world history and both have been eliminated.

The great depression happened so ppl shouldn't mention hunger because...uh...

being held against your will and forced to work for those holding you for no pay is just as bad if you are a White Jew in Egypt or a black man in America.

Yes, I already said all slavery is the same. Or else it wouldn't be called Slavery. Now go play somewhere. Heres a ball...Doesn't matter if its a ball or some guys testicles because they're all balls right? Just like slavery.

Why find a way to differentiate between different types of slavery?

I said you don't have too, I don't want you to hurt yourself with thinking and shit

But we should allow founding fathers opinions from 235 years ago determine our agenda

With all due respect, what a bullshit point. Slavery can and should be talked about in a true historical context. But the American Black slave experience is not unique; I'm not dismissing it, but it is not unique.

I'd prefer to see slavery discussed in the here and now and discuss how we can eradicate it from the face of the planet. But that won't happen in America because slavery in America = racism. That's what is taught in school and it's a fallacy.

Yet race never had anything to do with slavery. Slavery was based on labor needs.

Slavery goes back thousands of years. Slavery exists today. And sadly slavery will exist for centuries to come.

Should the existence of slavery from the past, present and future prevent us from utilizing and embracing the great teachings of men of history from centuries past?

Should we ignore the teachings of great philosophers such as Plato or Aristotle because slavery existed in their day?

Should we dismiss the Magna Carta?

I think not. I could list a thousand more examples but I'm only on my second coffee.

:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
The community organizers wife is of little or no consequence..........she has nothing of worth to be imparted to the kiddies....

Slavery has had nothing to do with race. Ever.

Slavery has always been about labor thru the centuries.

Nope...all slavery is the same. Derp! Keep repeating that so you don't have to consider the differences.

Arabs not only are not only responsible for enslaving countless millions of blacks many of whom were sold and brought to America they also took a million or so White women as sex slaves while they were at it. Even today children are used for forced labor and daughters sold as sex slaves in Egypt, so not former, it is still an on going practice.

Sorry folks....see nothing wrong with it. The children were learning about the Emancipation Proclamation. Should she have mentioned something else.....like the removal of badmitton from the Olympics?

Give it a rest. She is doing a dam good job despite her husband being completely out of his league.

She's doing a good job? Can you cite some examples?

Of course it can be mentioned, just not used as a weapon to beat over the head of people that had noting to do with it in order to get ones way.

Forum List

Back