Might buy this.

The owner of this house wants it back in October of 2014. We have no place to go. Well, we could rent a place, but...I haven't found one person who will rent to two old fogies with 3 old dogs and 1 old cat. And I am NOT getting rid of my fur KIDS. So....I stress. And I worry. And I make myself sick wondering what is to become of us. This might be the solution. House...on wheels. Pay space rent somewhere. Or find someone with land and hookups and need extra eyes on the back 40 of their property.
I have a smidge saved up. I can afford this IF there are no leaks in the roof and the engine is sound. MPG is going to be atrocious though. Until we find a spot to park it for awhile.

That is, if we buy it at all. 3 grand is mighty inexpensive for such an RV.

$3000 is a decent price if it needs work. RVs are terribly expensive to maintain and older ones break frequently, that's why they don't hold value. However, you'll spend FAR less on an RV than you will on rent.

This is also correct. If you are handy, most anything can be fixed, but finding parts or replacements can be tough and more expensive then you might think. Then again, it can be far less expensive then rent.

41,000 original miles on it, asking price is 3000.00. Over heats, so hubby is going to check it out first to see if it's the thermostat or something more dire. Belongs to a real estate agent and he and his wife no longer use it and want it to go to a new home where someone will appreciate it. That would be me.:)

I worry about the future and being homeless. This might be our home...IF the engine is good.

If hubby isn't mechanically inclined, I would take it to your trusty mechanic and have him check it out.
And perhaps a DMV check to make sure it is road worthy.

Hubby and I are still discussing it...and I am having second thoughts. What I really want is a mini van for myself. He will have his truck..I will have a minivan that will hold the animals. Do not dig into my piddly savings and just wait it out to see what the landlord here says. If we buy this thing..it will sit for a year and a half. Then if we do decide to go to the inlaws...we would have to pay to store it because we cannot park at their house.

So...major second thoughts on this. I just don't have the spare cash for anything that may go wrong. If it breaks down and needs something expensive....it will sit wherever it is towed and we are all stuffed in the truck. And no money to spare to rent a small trailer in a park or even a studio apartment or something.

It scares me to use the savings. I'm getting all paranoid now. And...I'm pretty sure I am going to talk myself out of it.

I've been trying to convince the hubs to buy a camper, but with the amount of time he spends sleeping in tents for work, he hasn't been up for camping in a long time.

I have a 28 foot trailer that sleeps 6 and has a ramp on the side and parking for 2 motorcycles. I tow it with my pickup and when I get to where I'm going, I park and unhitch and I have something I can park and doesn't get hideous gas mileage. I'd worry about fuel costs, especially if it has a gasoline engine. Diesel would be a lot easier on the pocket book.

It's a moot point now anyway. We have done the pros and cons list...and the cons outweigh the pros. So..we are not going to purchase it. It scares me, and I can't take the chance of buying it and then being flat out broke. Totally. No can do. My savings are for gas, food, dogs, dental, meds...for emergencies. Spending it on something that will sit in the driveway and cost an arm and leg to drive it...just is not feasible for me. Wish I was younger. I'd buy it, fix whatever needed fixing, then resell it for 8 grand.

House sitters...without going in their house. Feed the dogs, the cat, water the plants on the porch, keep trespassers from breaking in. Then head on out to the next place. And on. And on. And on. Long as we can drive and can hold a hose, lol.

You be interested in a Henry lever action .45 cal long colt?

Nah. I have two guns and don't need any more. You still interested in the RV? We are passing on it. Where you at? This thing is on the central california coast. I can give you the guys info..or give yours to him if you wanna talk to him about it.

If you are retired, and you're just looking for cheap places to live with your animals, you should look further afield. Wheeler County, Oregon..or in Idaho, for example. You can live cheaply, it's beautiful, and the rent is cheap. And everybody has animals.

Actually, I am looking at Reno/Redding area. Rents look doable there as well. I LOVE oregon, so I have been checking out Klamath Falls area as well. Idaho...there I have not looked. Any suggestions of small towns near larger ones for medical needs?

Oregon doesn't have a plethora of large towns...the places I'm thinking of are quite remote. Wheeler county is REALLY remote...but there is a clinic in the county seat. There's a hospital in The Dalles, and probably one in Prineville (certainly in Bend).
It rather depends on the degree of care you need, and how often.

And the weather can be very brutal in the eastern/central side. Summers are hot, hot, hot, and winters are cold, cold, cold.

I'm not terribly familiar with southern Oregon. I'm coastal, central and eastern Oregon...I have spent very little time in the southern reaches.

I'd prefer to stay in california since I am on Medi-Cal. BIG help on medical issues I have. Actually, I would like to stay right where I am in this town...all my docs are here. I've lived here almost 30 years. Perfect weather. But DAMN the rent is horrendous! Which is why I have oodles of roomies. They help with the rent.
However....Alturas looks kinda good too. And Susanville. Both in calif but Alturas is close to oregon border. And reno isn't too bad...if I can find something in Truckee. Still in california but near nevada border.

I guess I will worry about it when the time comes. Hubby says I worry too much and I am making him bugshit with my stressing out. So....if I can train myself to STOP WORRYING, I will be fine. We are good here until october 2014. I will start worrying after october.

Yeah, if you are not eligible for medicare you don't want to come to Oregon because you will lose your medical, and unless you are disabled (and below a certain income), pregnant, or have young kids in the house, there is no open available medical program through the state.

Though most of the Catholic hospitals do have charity programs.

Forum List

Back