Militarization of Police- DHS

They don't need it anymore because the war is over. You never heard of military surplus?

Yeah....thats the stuff they use to sell to other countries when we made new and improved equipment and sold the old obsolete stuff.
Now we want to use it on American citizens.
How nice..........

How exactly does one use an MRAP "on American citizens"?

So then why do they need them if they have no use? I find it hard to believe you cant see a scenario where they might come in handy. I bet you if you asked that very question of our troops they could give you plenty of reasons they would be useful ....in a war zone.

The military is dumping MRAPs and they are either cheap or free to local law enforcement. I don't think every local law enforcement agency needs one but it would be nice to have access to one
I just don't see the need for any local police agency to have such redundant military-type equipment. But beyond that I am puzzled as to why such potentially useful equipment is not retained in storage by the Defense Department. It absolutely is not beyond the range of possibility that we, or one of our important allies, could have need for them in the future. Especially considering our potentially volatile Middle East relations.

As it is those MRAPs which have been transferred to civilian PDs have been altered in at least one very important way (machine-gun turrets removed). So they are crippled for military use and redundant for civilian use.

Very, very wasteful and entirely inappropriate.

Yeah....thats the stuff they use to sell to other countries when we made new and improved equipment and sold the old obsolete stuff.
How nice..........

So then why do they need them if they have no use? I find it hard to believe you cant see a scenario where they might come in handy. I bet you if you asked that very question of our troops they could give you plenty of reasons they would be useful ....in a war zone.

I don't think the average police department has any need of an MRAP.

But you can't use an MRAP "on" someone. It's a fucking vehicle, not a weapon.

They don't need it anymore because the war is over. You never heard of military surplus?

How nice..........

I'll give you one of the main uses of an MRAP. Why local police think they would need this type of ability makes one say hmmmmmmm.

They are used to get troops into position and or through a hostile environment. Now why would they ever need that capability in your neighborhood? Do they plan on taking on hundreds of combatants? What exactly do they think is going to happen to make that necessary?

DHS are not police.

See, it's happening already.

And why are we beefing up dhs...and yet not using them to actually increase homeland security?

Because they aren't for "homeland security" in the sense we think they are. They're for "homeland security" in the sense that the SS were for "fatherland security".

Last edited:
How nice..........

I'll give you one of the main uses of an MRAP. Why local police think they would need this type of ability makes one say hmmmmmmm.

They are used to get troops into position and or through a hostile environment. Now why would they ever need that capability in your neighborhood? Do they plan on taking on hundreds of combatants? What exactly do they think is going to happen to make that necessary?

Chicago?

How nice..........

In a situation where a suspect is barricaded and firing at police, a normal police car is unable to get close without jeopardizing the officers. An armored vehicle can drive right up to the front door and offer cover for officers

Now you're catching on. It's not for "someone" it's for many someones. As in a war zone.
It seems to me the gov plans on doing something that is going to piss off a lot of people....hence the need to move troops safely over a wide spread area.

I don't mind police having access to an MRAP or other armored vehicle

Some situations under which police come under fire require an armored vehicle to protect the police and innocent civilians
MRAP's are made for War Zones. In what situation would a Civilian P.D. need one?

I wouldn't say that they "need" them.

But they have them.

How does the police having MRAPs hurt you, or anyone else?
It doesn't directly hurt anyone. But it does impart an unnecessary and extraneously militaristic character to civilian police agencies. It is one more step in the same wrong direction as the concept of SWAT has taken in recent years. The recent tossing of a flash/bang grenade into a baby's crib is one example of what I'm talking about.

Chicago?

Since when has that been a problem? Those gangland shootings are over long before the police show up.

Now you're catching on. It's not for "someone" it's for many someones. As in a war zone.
It seems to me the gov plans on doing something that is going to piss off a lot of people....hence the need to move troops safely over a wide spread area.

The "gov"?

Who are you talking about, exactly?

In a situation where a suspect is barricaded and firing at police, a normal police car is unable to get close without jeopardizing the officers. An armored vehicle can drive right up to the front door and offer cover for officers

Again I will ask. How often is that ability needed?

Do you know what the government is, doc? It looks like that's who he's talking about. The government.

MRAP's are made for War Zones. In what situation would a Civilian P.D. need one?

I wouldn't say that they "need" them.

But they have them.

How does the police having MRAPs hurt you, or anyone else?
It doesn't directly hurt anyone. But it does impart an unnecessary and extraneously militaristic character to civilian police agencies. It is one more step in the same wrong direction as the concept of SWAT has taken in recent years. The recent tossing of a flash/bang grenade into a baby's crib is one example of what I'm talking about.

So basically you're saying that they're scary, and that's why they're bad.

SWAT teams throwing flash bangs at babies has nothing at all to do with MRAPs.

The "gov"?

Who are you talking about, exactly?

You dont think the city police are part of and directed by DHS in certain situations?

Again I will ask. How often is that ability needed?

Once is enough if it saves an officers life

Forum List

Back