Militarization of Police- DHS

It still happens

Not just snipers, but armed robbers, hostage takers, guy wanting to commit suicide by cop and taking a cop with him. Bomb squads can use an MRAP. There are times when a local police force needs access to an armored vehicle

If it saves one cops life, I am OK with it
So you want to wrap cops in SWAT gear and MRAPs to offset the occasional killing of a civilian police officer?

Occasionally a cop will be killed. Occasionally a construction worker will be killed. Occasionally a deep-sea fisherman will be killed, and on and on. The civilian police occupation is not the most dangerous job of all but it does present some level of danger. Anyone who wants to be a cop must understand and accept that relative level of risk. Otherwise there are much safer jobs.

Civilian cops are not soldiers and it's time we stopped trying to transform them. Because we don't want soldiers patrolling our streets.

Most of these MRAPS were excessed by the military because they were no longer needed and offered to state and local law enforcement

The pentagon should honestly be audited for that. "They don't need it anymore" is their way of saying they're selling them so they can buy new ones through their friends corporations to profit and divvy up the doe.

•Pinky•

They don't need it anymore because the war is over. You never heard of military surplus?

What exactly is over? Obamas sending our troops back to Iraq to to fight "ISIS/Al-Qaeda". He started by saying he was only sending 100 but every week he adds a hundred. And let's be honest once things get going, he's going to send more.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/30/obama-sending-300-more-u-s-troops-to-iraq/

•Pinky•

Here's the thing. If the police had just got MRAPS and stopped there it would be one thing.
You have to look at the overall picture,thats what matters.
I can't believe some cant connect the dots. I wish we all had to post up our age,that way I would know if I was dealing with someone with no life experience or just someone with their head in the sand.
I'm not saying you're young and dumb,some just dont want to see whats right in front of them.
Whether thats party affiliation or just the refusal to come to terms with bad news I'm not sure.

In a situation where a suspect is barricaded and firing at police, a normal police car is unable to get close without jeopardizing the officers. An armored vehicle can drive right up to the front door and offer cover for officers

Again I will ask. How often is that ability needed?

Once is enough if it saves an officers life

The dhs is sending these vehicles to towns with practically no crime and populations under 25,000. Places that have less than 2 murders a year on average. What do they need tanks and mraps for?!

•Pinky•

I'll give you one of the main uses of an MRAP. Why local police think they would need this type of ability makes one say hmmmmmmm.

They are used to get troops into position and or through a hostile environment. Now why would they ever need that capability in your neighborhood? Do they plan on taking on hundreds of combatants? What exactly do they think is going to happen to make that necessary?

Chicago?

Since when has that been a problem? Those gangland shootings are over long before the police show up.

:lol: ok

It still happens

Not just snipers, but armed robbers, hostage takers, guy wanting to commit suicide by cop and taking a cop with him. Bomb squads can use an MRAP. There are times when a local police force needs access to an armored vehicle

So you want to wrap cops in SWAT gear and MRAPs to offset the occasional killing of a civilian police officer?

Occasionally a cop will be killed. Occasionally a construction worker will be killed. Occasionally a deep-sea fisherman will be killed, and on and on. The civilian police occupation is not the most dangerous job of all but it does present some level of danger. Anyone who wants to be a cop must understand and accept that relative level of risk. Otherwise there are much safer jobs.

Civilian cops are not soldiers and it's time we stopped trying to transform them. Because we don't want soldiers patrolling our streets.

Civilian police officers are killed by illegals more often than by any other group...maybe we should use the DHS for what it was supposedly created for...protecting us from aliens who want to do us harm.

Novel idea, I know.

Again I will ask. How often is that ability needed?

Once is enough if it saves an officers life

The dhs is sending these vehicles to towns with practically no crime and populations under 25,000. Places that have less than 2 murders a year on average. What do they need tanks and mraps for?!

•Pinky•

DHS isn't "sending" these vehicles anywhere.

Local police departments are buying them, surplus, from the military. DHS has nothing to do with it.

It still happens

Civilian police officers are killed by illegals more often than by any other group...maybe we should use the DHS for what it was supposedly created for...protecting us from aliens who want to do us harm.

Novel idea, I know.

You have a link to that stat?

For Pete's sake the town I'm living in bought one too and I live in the stix. Farm country. Almost no one lives here. It's useless

•Pinky•

Per usual, the statist pigs are pretending we're having a different conversation.

Carry on, statist pigs.

Since when has that been a problem? Those gangland shootings are over long before the police show up.

:lol: ok

Are you denying that?

No, it is just a ridiculous argument.

Any arrest poses a danger...especially in high crime areas. Anything could happen at anytime. There is nothing the matter with safety.

Would you guys have a problem if a regular citizen purchased one of these?

Why is it okay for a teaper to buy body armor, automatic weapons, grenades, rocket launchers and whatever else...but it is an affront to freedom if a police force purchases the same?

Any arrest poses a danger...especially in high crime areas. Anything could happen at anytime. There is nothing the matter with safety.

Why is it okay for a teaper to buy body armor, automatic weapons, grenades, rocket launchers and whatever else...but it is an affront to freedom if a police force purchases the same?

There's a teaper around every corner, waiting to git im.

Hostage situation, sniper, suspected bomb.
Suppose there is a sniper in the Clock Tower who is pinning down citizens in an open area. An armored vehicle to rescue them would come in handy

Woman trapped by Charles Whitman the Texas Tower sniper.
Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jg
Three men went up that tower and took him out.

How would an MRAP have helped in that situation?

Is there an MRAP Helicopter I don't know about?

See that woman cowering behind the light pole? An armored vehicle can be used to drive up and evacuate her

Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jpg
All the local police had to do in that situation is make a call to the local Brinks or Wells Fargo Armored Car Service and that problem would be solved in fifteen minutes. We don't need our civilian police agencies equipped like Marine assault units because of rare incidents like the Texas Tower.

Any arrest? What? You going to use em as patrol cars?:lol:
Rocket launchers? Grenades? Now you're just being an idiot.

Well actually you're just continuing to be one.....

Are you denying that?

Any arrest? What? You going to use em as patrol cars?:lol:
Rocket launchers? Grenades? Now you're just being an idiot.

Well actually you're just continuing to be one.....

But you believe citizens should have the right to own such weaponry, right? Simple question...why can citizens purchase weapons but police forces not? Where do you draw the line.

Again, simple question. You are the one who says he is all about honest discussion...I have given you that opportunity all day, and you have yet to impress me.

Three men went up that tower and took him out.

How would an MRAP have helped in that situation?

Is there an MRAP Helicopter I don't know about?

See that woman cowering behind the light pole? An armored vehicle can be used to drive up and evacuate her

Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jpg
All the local police had to do in that situation is make a call to the local Brinks or Wells Fargo Armored Car Service and that problem would be solved in fifteen minutes. We don't need our civilian police agencies equipped like Marine assault units because of rare incidents like the Texas Tower.

15 minutes would be pushing it, if the armored car company would even allow it! If the police force had the equipment...time wouldn't be an issue.

Forum List

Back