Miracle Drug Causes 75% Reduction in PTSD Symptoms

As a pot head trying to kick the habit, I can tell you the irritability from withdrawal is very real

That's a mental addiction, not a physical one.
It's a physiological response. The brain is coming down from the boost of dopamine which makes a person depressed/irritable.

And? If that's the extent of the criteria you use then I could just as easily say that being a spoiled kid is a physical addiction. There are all kinds of neuro-chemical responses that occur when a spoiled kid is deprived of getting their way.
The mechanism works the same way with any illicit substance. The only thing that varies is the degree of the dopamine boost. Meth and cocaine are just much more powerful. Granted aside from that those drugs have other withdrawal side effects that weed doesn't but the dopamine rush and subsequent crash is a characteristic of any drug. That is what makes any drug addicting.
No. Certain drugs are PHYSICALLY addicting. When you suddenly stop using them, your body literally turns on you. What you are describing is psychological withdrawal, a simple mental yearning for the drug.
Not true. It's a myth that marijuana isn't physically addictive. The withdrawal is simply much more tolerable than other drugs. We are talking about physiology here. Dopamine. It like any drug releases dopamine and your brain crashes from it later making you irritable and craving.

Guess Which Miracle Drug Causes 75% Reduction in PTSD Symptoms? (Hint: It's Federally Illegal)
By Phillip Smith

<snip>

New clinical research suggests there is something that can help: Marijuana. Yep, you read that right. The Journal of Psychoactive Drugs this week published results from a New Mexico study that found patients reported an average 75% reduction in all three areas of PTSD symptoms while using marijuana.

Patients in the study all met the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and were symptomatic. When they used marijuana, they reported significant relief from PTSD symptoms, as well as a lack of harm or problems functioning because of marijuana use. The study used a standard PTSD evaluation tool to rate the frequency and intensity of symptoms.

<snip>

My guess is; Conservatives will continue to tell our tortured veterans to GFY.

I certainly don't question the results from this study but it must be said that marijuana is still an addictive (albeit slightly) drug. Dependence would likely keep any PTSD sufferer from actually confronting his trauma. Alleviating symptoms only does so much.
only to those with an addictive personality.....otherwise it is not ......certainly not physical....
I think any long term use is going to create dependence and addiction in most people. I disagree that there isn't a physical addictive component. As a pot head trying to kick the habit, I can tell you the irritability from withdrawal is very real
i smoked for 30 years....and when it got to be a pain in the ass to get it....i quit....only had urges every now and then which got further and further apart....but physically no problems.....its all mental....
It's all about dopamine. I hate to break it to you but your dopamine receptors would be damaged by now after so many years. That causes a decrease in pleasure for any other stimululation.

Here you go. True withdrawal symptoms can kill you. This is delirium tremens, or alcohol withdrawal:

The main symptoms of delirium tremens are nightmares, agitation, global confusion, disorientation, visual and [7] auditory hallucinations, tactile hallucinations fever, high blood pressure, heavy sweating, and other signs of autonomic hyperactivity (fast heart rate and high blood pressure). These symptoms may appear suddenly but can develop 2–3 days after stopping drinking heavily with its highest intensity on the fourth or fifth day.[8] Also, these "symptoms are characteristically worse at night".[9] In general, DT is considered the most severe manifestation of alcohol withdrawal and occurs 3–10 days following the last drink.[7] Other common symptoms include intense perceptual disturbance such as visions of insects, snakes, or rats. These may be hallucinations, or illusions related to the environment, e.g., patterns on the wallpaper or in the peripheral vision that the patient falsely perceives as a resemblance to the morphology of an insect, and are also associated with tactile hallucinations such as sensations of something crawling on the subject — a phenomenon known as formication. Delirium tremens usually includes extremely intense feelings of "impending doom". Severe anxiety and feelings of imminent death are common DT symptoms.

DT can sometimes be associated with severe, uncontrollable tremors of the extremities and secondary symptoms such as anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. Confusion is often noticeable to onlookers as those with DT will have trouble forming simple sentences or making basic logical calculations. In many cases, people who rarely speak out of turn will have an increased tendency for gaffes even though they are sober.

DT should be distinguished from alcoholic hallucinosis, the latter of which occurs in approximately 20% of hospitalized alcoholics and does not carry a significant mortality. In contrast, DT occurs in 5–10% of alcoholics and carries up to 15% mortality with treatment and up to 35% mortality without treatment.[2] DT is characterized by the presence of altered sensorium; that is, a complete hallucination without any recognition of the real world. DT has extreme autonomic hyperactivity (high pulse, blood pressure, and rate of breathing), and 35-60% of patients have a fever. Some patients experience seizures.

Here you go. True withdrawal symptoms can kill you. This is delirium tremens, or alcohol withdrawal:

The main symptoms of delirium tremens are nightmares, agitation, global confusion, disorientation, visual and [7] auditory hallucinations, tactile hallucinations fever, high blood pressure, heavy sweating, and other signs of autonomic hyperactivity (fast heart rate and high blood pressure). These symptoms may appear suddenly but can develop 2–3 days after stopping drinking heavily with its highest intensity on the fourth or fifth day.[8] Also, these "symptoms are characteristically worse at night".[9] In general, DT is considered the most severe manifestation of alcohol withdrawal and occurs 3–10 days following the last drink.[7] Other common symptoms include intense perceptual disturbance such as visions of insects, snakes, or rats. These may be hallucinations, or illusions related to the environment, e.g., patterns on the wallpaper or in the peripheral vision that the patient falsely perceives as a resemblance to the morphology of an insect, and are also associated with tactile hallucinations such as sensations of something crawling on the subject — a phenomenon known as formication. Delirium tremens usually includes extremely intense feelings of "impending doom". Severe anxiety and feelings of imminent death are common DT symptoms.

DT can sometimes be associated with severe, uncontrollable tremors of the extremities and secondary symptoms such as anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. Confusion is often noticeable to onlookers as those with DT will have trouble forming simple sentences or making basic logical calculations. In many cases, people who rarely speak out of turn will have an increased tendency for gaffes even though they are sober.

DT should be distinguished from alcoholic hallucinosis, the latter of which occurs in approximately 20% of hospitalized alcoholics and does not carry a significant mortality. In contrast, DT occurs in 5–10% of alcoholics and carries up to 15% mortality with treatment and up to 35% mortality without treatment.[2] DT is characterized by the presence of altered sensorium; that is, a complete hallucination without any recognition of the real world. DT has extreme autonomic hyperactivity (high pulse, blood pressure, and rate of breathing), and 35-60% of patients have a fever. Some patients experience seizures.

Is this PTSD or pot - Or both?

Not true. It's a myth that marijuana isn't physically addictive.

No, you're just a pathetic piece of shit low-life who can't take responsibility for his own actions and his failure to take control of his existence. Marijuana is not physically addictive.

Delirium tremens, or alcohol withdrawal. aka the DT's.

No, you're just a pathetic piece of shit low-life who can't take responsibility for his own actions and his failure to take control of his existence. Marijuana is not physically addictive.
Lol wow. Someone is obviously projecting. I'm sorry marijuana made you lazy and you failed every aspect of your life. Nothing is going to change that I'm afraid.

Guess Which Miracle Drug Causes 75% Reduction in PTSD Symptoms? (Hint: It's Federally Illegal)
By Phillip Smith

<snip>

New clinical research suggests there is something that can help: Marijuana. Yep, you read that right. The Journal of Psychoactive Drugs this week published results from a New Mexico study that found patients reported an average 75% reduction in all three areas of PTSD symptoms while using marijuana.

Patients in the study all met the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and were symptomatic. When they used marijuana, they reported significant relief from PTSD symptoms, as well as a lack of harm or problems functioning because of marijuana use. The study used a standard PTSD evaluation tool to rate the frequency and intensity of symptoms.

<snip>

My guess is; Conservatives will continue to tell our tortured veterans to GFY.

I certainly don't question the results from this study but it must be said that marijuana is still an addictive (albeit slightly) drug. Dependence would likely keep any PTSD sufferer from actually confronting his trauma. Alleviating symptoms only does so much.
only to those with an addictive personality.....otherwise it is not ......certainly not physical....
I think any long term use is going to create dependence and addiction in most people. I disagree that there isn't a physical addictive component. As a pot head trying to kick the habit, I can tell you the irritability from withdrawal is very real
i smoked for 30 years....and when it got to be a pain in the ass to get it....i quit....only had urges every now and then which got further and further apart....but physically no problems.....its all mental....
It's all about dopamine. I hate to break it to you but your dopamine receptors would be damaged by now after so many years. That causes a decrease in pleasure for any other stimululation.
i dont know billy.....everything i seemed to enjoy back then ...i still enjoy now....can still get it up.....still enjoy the same foods including new ones....music....i dont know what to tell you....i cant think of anything i used to like but no longer do....

Marijuana works. So does heroin and meth. Bath salts works real good. Forget everything.

In fact keeping everyone sedated and not have a thing to think about.
oh here we go....the pot authority has arrived.....hey at least we can see what people thought about pot in the 40's...

As a pot head trying to kick the habit, I can tell you the irritability from withdrawal is very real

So you agree tobacco cigarettes aren't addictive at all.
back in your time they did not know shit about either one.....we now know they are 2 different things....one is extremely physically addictive...cigarets.....the other,pot can be mentally addictive....

It's a physiological response. The brain is coming down from the boost of dopamine which makes a person depressed/irritable.

And? If that's the extent of the criteria you use then I could just as easily say that being a spoiled kid is a physical addiction. There are all kinds of neuro-chemical responses that occur when a spoiled kid is deprived of getting their way.
The mechanism works the same way with any illicit substance. The only thing that varies is the degree of the dopamine boost. Meth and cocaine are just much more powerful. Granted aside from that those drugs have other withdrawal side effects that weed doesn't but the dopamine rush and subsequent crash is a characteristic of any drug. That is what makes any drug addicting.
No. Certain drugs are PHYSICALLY addicting. When you suddenly stop using them, your body literally turns on you. What you are describing is psychological withdrawal, a simple mental yearning for the drug.
Not true. It's a myth that marijuana isn't physically addictive. The withdrawal is simply much more tolerable than other drugs. We are talking about physiology here. Dopamine. It like any drug releases dopamine and your brain crashes from it later making you irritable and craving.
billy many say it physical because your brain is attached to your body.....but is the physical withdrawal like nicotine or heroin or alcohol?... no it isnt....its all mental...to some it depends on how you define "addiction"....this is from WebMD....
Marijuana addiction is linked to a mild withdrawal syndrome. Frequent marijuana users often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.
this is from Psychology Today....

Some drugs are very physically and psychologically addictive and have obvious, terrible withdrawal symptoms. These are easy to identify, such as heroin, barbiturates or alcohol. Others like marijuana are psychologically addictive, and the withdrawal includes psychological symptoms like anxiety, mood swings and depression. These are harder to identify, leading to the question of whether they are really related to withdrawal versus a “I miss my pot” phenomenon.

So what does it take for someone to be addicted? Is it the shakes, the sweats, and the vomiting like the junkie coming off opiates? Most folks have this image of severe symptoms— physical addiction -- as being uncontrollable. Yet the psychological addiction of marijuana is seen as less severe and hence manageable, needing only a good dose of will power to get over it. But, the psychological craving can be stronger than the physical withdrawal. The brain wants what it wants, when it wants it and for some these cravings are overwhelming.

billy many say it physical because your brain is attached to your body.....but is the physical withdrawal like nicotine or heroin or alcohol?... no it isnt....its all mental...to some it depends on how you define "addiction"....this is from WebMD....
Marijuana addiction is linked to a mild withdrawal syndrome. Frequent marijuana users often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.

Some drugs are very physically and psychologically addictive and have obvious, terrible withdrawal symptoms. These are easy to identify, such as heroin, barbiturates or alcohol. Others like marijuana are psychologically addictive, and the withdrawal includes psychological symptoms like anxiety, mood swings and depression. These are harder to identify, leading to the question of whether they are really related to withdrawal versus a “I miss my pot” phenomenon.

So what does it take for someone to be addicted? Is it the shakes, the sweats, and the vomiting like the junkie coming off opiates? Most folks have this image of severe symptoms— physical addiction -- as being uncontrollable. Yet the psychological addiction of marijuana is seen as less severe and hence manageable, needing only a good dose of will power to get over it. But, the psychological craving can be stronger than the physical withdrawal. The brain wants what it wants, when it wants it and for some these cravings are overwhelming.
I suppose this dopamine withdrawal isn't necessarily classified as "physical" but it definitely is physiological - a component that makes it more than just mentally addictive.

so why dont you try discussing this instead of throwing insults around?.....the guy is asking legit questions....someone like Katz i can understand....she has never even seen a joint and she acts like she has been around pot for years.....just sayin....

I suppose this dopamine withdrawal isn't necessarily classified as "physical" but it definitely is physiological - a component that makes it more than just mentally addictive.
i have yet to see any medical study say pot is physically addictive but i have seen dozens say it can be Mentally addictive and for some really tough to quit.....i would rather smoke pot than drink....people like katz are drinkers...getting drunk and belligerent to them is preferable to getting high and not getting into fights...

i have yet to see any medical study say pot is physically addictive but i have seen dozens say it can be Mentally addictive and for some really tough to quit.....i would rather smoke pot than drink....people like katz are drinkers...getting drunk and belligerent to them is preferable to getting high and not getting into fights...
Oh yeah alcohol is so much worse.

Delirium tremens, or alcohol withdrawal. aka the DT's.

I wish they had treatment for sex addicts. I go to a rehab facility and say I need an evaluation and they say for what? I say, I think I'm a sex addict. They say that's natural and send me on my way. So, I try to go to an AA meeting and they asked me what my drug of choice was and to share my testimony, I said I'm a sex addict, and everybody starts laughing like I'm joking or something? I said, is this what AA is for? There like nope, and I stay anyways, and this woman keeps staring at me. So naturally I stare back and smile like the nice guy I am, and 3 min later we are screwing in the church.

They say I don't have a problem. Then the FDA comes out with Viagra and it's all down hill ever since.

so why dont you try discussing this instead of throwing insults around?

Actually, I did try that. In response Billy has been spouting bullshit.

the guy is asking legit questions

No, he is spouting bullshit falsehoods to make excuses for his continued drug abuse. He's trying to pass the blame for his actions by posting complete fabrications.

back in your time they did not know shit about either one.....we now know they are 2 different things....one is extremely physically addictive...cigarets.....the other,pot can be mentally addictive....

Nicotine is a mental addiction. There are no substantial physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine deprivation.

Forum List

Back