Mississippi ratifies 13th amendment THIS MONTH

So Blacks are free now? Was that the final state needed to ratify the 13th Amendment?

Not the final state needed, but the final state that was a state at the time. The four states that originally rejected the 13th amendment (NJ, DE, KY, and MS) ratified it later.

So Blacks are free now? Was that the final state needed to ratify the 13th Amendment?

Not the final state needed, but the final state that was a state at the time. The four states that originally rejected the 13th amendment (NJ, DE, KY, and MS) ratified it later.
Wait a minute, you mean New Jersey didn't immediately ratify the 13th Amendment after the War? :confused:

But, but they were the North! They were part of the Union right? Are you telling me that there were Union States that allowed Slavery? :eek:

I saw that on Fox News tonight

It seems that the ratification vote occured years ago, but the paperwork was just never completed until the Indian Professor started researching it.

Wait a minute, you mean New Jersey didn't immediately ratify the 13th Amendment after the War? :confused:

But, but they were the North! They were part of the Union right? Are you telling me that there were Union States that allowed Slavery? :eek:

Actually, yeah, quite a few.

Several of them stayed loyal to the Union during the war on the condition that slavery be allowed to continue there.

There were 4. Maryland, and I believe off the top of my head, Kentucky, Missouri, and Delaware.

Several of them stayed loyal to the Union during the war on the condition that slavery be allowed to continue there.

There were 4. Maryland, and I believe off the top of my head, Kentucky, Missouri, and Delaware.

And of course, West Virginia split off from Virginia in the middle of the war and sided with the Union, but they kept slavery legal for a while, too.

Forum List

Back