Mississippi School does the right thing: Bans prom due to Lesbian couple attending.

Should Homosexual Sex be Included in 5th Grade Sex Ed?

• 4.) This is too Deep for me, it's Confusing me, & I Need to Call someone a Name over it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The right thing??? Your right thing may not be my right thing. It's not something that you can proclaim, as you just did. It cannot be defined. You have no idea if cancelling the prom was the right thing to do. You just think it is. I think it isn't. See how it works???

It was certainly the "right" thing to do more than it was the "left" thing to do. :D

Cancelling the prom renders any prom policies moot. :cuckoo:

Again, who is going to sue them and for what exactly?
Apparently the ACLU is going to sue them because the school has a rule, still in place, that says a prom date must be of the opposite sex.

So the ACLU is going after precedent then?

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the school will throw out the rule before it gets that far. I mean, why do they need any prom rules if they don't have a prom.

I guess if their goal is to make sure every other school in the country has to allow queers to attend the prom or cancel the prom then they should keep up the great work! :thup:

Since clearly cases like this are doing wonders to improve attitudes toward queers. :lol:

This isn't being done to "improve attitudes" towards gays you shitbag. It also doesn't matter if she filed a lawsuit or not because you dummasses would still be bigots.

The right thing??? Your right thing may not be my right thing. It's not something that you can proclaim, as you just did. It cannot be defined. You have no idea if cancelling the prom was the right thing to do. You just think it is. I think it isn't. See how it works???

It was certainly the "right" thing to do more than it was the "left" thing to do. :D

Social Conservatives are political libruls but I'm sure that is way way beyond your scope of comprehension.

I think it's hilarious that some people in this thread think there's no law to sue the school over.

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

Until you do...you're talking out of your ass.

Then when you come back...explain how the legal argument in the complaint is wrong. Cite case law if you can.

Apparently the ACLU is going to sue them because the school has a rule, still in place, that says a prom date must be of the opposite sex.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the school will throw out the rule before it gets that far. I mean, why do they need any prom rules if they don't have a prom.

I guess if their goal is to make sure every other school in the country has to allow queers to attend the prom or cancel the prom then they should keep up the great work! :thup:

Since clearly cases like this are doing wonders to improve attitudes toward queers. :lol:

This isn't being done to "improve attitudes" towards gays you shitbag. It also doesn't matter if she filed a lawsuit or not because you dummasses would still be bigots.
:eusa_shhh: Mani spent most of his high school career face down in the toilet and he was always too afraid to make waves.

Isn't holding a prom every year precedent?

And, sorry if I don't really respect your opinion on this, but anyone who calls us derogatory names isn't worth respecting.

If she wanted to bring a black classmate, you'd be talking about *******, wouldn't you?

I respect your decision to not respect my opinion.

But I'm not aware of any derogatory words that I might have used. Care to educate me?

Seriously?

:eusa_shhh: Mani spent most of his high school career face down in the toilet and he was always too afraid to make waves.

:eusa_shhh: Mani needs help pointing out his derogatory term for gay people.

I think it's hilarious that some people in this thread think there's no law to sue the school over.

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

Then when you come back...explain how the legal argument in the complaint is wrong. Cite case law if you can.
From the OP linked article.

A Feb. 5 memo to students laid out the criteria for bringing a date to the prom, and one requirement was that the person must be of the opposite sex.
The ACLU said McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past. The ACLU said district officials told McMillen she and her girlfriend wouldn't be allowed to arrive together, that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo, and that she and her girlfriend might be asked to leave if their presence made any other students "uncomfortable."

I wonder if the school bully being at the prom made others uncomfortable...would the bully be asked to leave?

Also, from everything I've read about this story, the girl did the right thing in first approaching the school to get permission...when she didn't get it she went to the ACLU. So those in the thread calling her a brat...piss off.

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

From the OP linked article.

A Feb. 5 memo to students laid out the criteria for bringing a date to the prom, and one requirement was that the person must be of the opposite sex.
The ACLU said McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past. The ACLU said district officials told McMillen she and her girlfriend wouldn't be allowed to arrive together, that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo, and that she and her girlfriend might be asked to leave if their presence made any other students "uncomfortable."

I wonder if the school bully being at the prom made others uncomfortable...would the bully be asked to leave?

Also, from everything I've read about this story, the girl did the right thing in first approaching the school to get permission...when she didn't get it she went to the ACLU. So those in the thread calling her a brat...piss off.

That's close to being enough..but with people saying there's "no legal basis" they really ought to see the legal basis in much more detail than that article.

I do like your post though. I think the girl did things the right way.

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

What is the link to the complaint.

(2nd request)

Does Mississippi think that lesbians have no feelings?

I think it's cruel to treat people like this.

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

(2nd request)

Fulton, MS Prom Discrimination | American Civil Liberties Union

Affirming equal rights for gays is not trying to make anyone else gay.

I made no such Assertion, you Dingleberry...

Expecting Society to Embrace the Choice is what I was Referring to...

And it's NOT Analagous to Skin Color, and it's Insulting to People of Color for Sexual Deviants to Continue Comparing their Choices to the Honest Civil Rights Struggle in this Country.

:)

peace...

More semantic bullshit. Nobody is making anyone "embrace" gays, straights, bisexuals, or stoopid fuks like you when the Constitution gets affirmed. You know bigotry is unjustifiable so you try to set it up as if opponents are being forced when really it is the bigots saying

"In public you shall act heterosexual or you shall be excluded."

It bigots like you who are trying to force everyone else to conform to your self righteous and shallow holes of despair.

You won't get the Validation you Seek, and your Anger will never go away...

peace...

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

(2nd request)

OMFG! She's asking for $1.00 in damages. Sheila was right, she's only in it for the money!!!

They did not scrap the policy you apple diddling cockroach. The policy is still in place.

You keep ignoring this simple question:

What law were you talking about when you said it wasn't cowardly to obey the law?

Go ahead and ignore it again you butt slime sucking weasel. I love it when bigots dodge because it reinforces how your position is based on shit.

did you major in stupid?

I tried but they said you were unavailable you fucking shitweed.

so you were too stupid?

GO

READ

THE

COMPLAINT

(2nd request)

Thanks Bo!

This seems to be the legal precedent for the ALCU complaint:
Prom Resources for LGBT Students | American Civil Liberties Union

In Fricke v. Lynch, a federal court ruled that any policy excluding same-sex couples from proms or school dances violates the right to free expression guaranteed by the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Other decisions have found that enforcing outdated notions that only boys can wear tuxedoes and only girls can wear dresses to Prom is illegal.

Basically the ALCU is trying to have the prom reinstated based on the discriminatory policy of the district, and is hoping that a Federal Judge will agree that cancelling the prom = violating the "right to free expression" guaranteed by the 1st Amendment (which doesn't say anything about a "right to free expression," but I suppose the ACLU will losely define "speech" as the right to dance with a Tuxedo-Wearing-Inflateable Sheep, or a 24 inch Day-Glo Dildo )

For the intellectually challenged (and downright short-bus retarded):

If the school had the prom and didn't allow these girls to attend, it's realistic to assume they'd be doing so on shaky legal grounds. But they didn't.

Instead, they simply cancelled the prom for everyone and in doing so retained a firm legal footing.

It might have been a douche move, but of the two, it was the only one that is CLEARLY legal.

Actually, cancelling a prom that has a tradition and an unspoken expectation in order to avoid allowing a minority from attending may in itself be illegal. Notice I say "may".

not even close. there's nothing illegal about a school not sponsoring a dance.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Thanks Bo!

This seems to be the legal precedent for the ALCU complaint:
Prom Resources for LGBT Students | American Civil Liberties Union

In Fricke v. Lynch, a federal court ruled that any policy excluding same-sex couples from proms or school dances violates the right to free expression guaranteed by the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Other decisions have found that enforcing outdated notions that only boys can wear tuxedoes and only girls can wear dresses to Prom is illegal.

Basically the ALCU is trying to have the prom reinstated based on the discriminatory policy of the district, and is hoping that a Federal Judge will agree that cancelling the prom = violating the "right to free expression" guaranteed by the 1st Amendment (which doesn't say anything about a "right to free expression," but I suppose the ACLU will losely define "speech" as the right to dance with a Tuxedo-Wearing-Inflateable Sheep, or a 24 inch Day-Glo Dildo )

"In Fricke v. Lynch, a federal court ruled that any policy excluding same-sex couples from proms or school dances violates the right to free expression guaranteed by the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Other decisions have found that enforcing outdated notions that only boys can wear tuxedoes and only girls can wear dresses to Prom is illegal."

If I am not Mistaken, they were Held to a Dress Code, NOT Denied Access...

Correct?

peace...

Forum List

Back