Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

Small govt cons want an approved list of items...maybe they can create a new dept like the Dept of Homeland Scarf and Ingestion

When one gives to charity, one generally chooses what one gives.

So yes, we would like foodstamps to only be used reasonably, on a short list of available foodstuffs.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?
Hamburger is ground steak, with a few other ingredients...
Ya so and its still much cheaper,what your point?

Actually, burger isn't always cheaper than other cuts. I have gone to the store and purchased cross cut rib roast at a LOT less than the lowest hamburger price. And there's little to no fat in the roast.

Since I'm not on foodstamps, I have to actually take these things into consideration when I'm shopping under the constraints of a miniscule food budget.

I'm advocating using food stamps and welfare as a leg up; you are advocating it as a leg to stand on.

Ben Carson's mother was on welfare and food stamps. She got off of them too. That's the kind of success that most on welfare/food stamps should strive for, but unlimited assistance and generational assistance = not happening.

You're the one who sees getting people off of welfare and food stamps as them 'suffering'. Self-sufficiency and depending on oneself should be the goal, not seen as some kind of punishment. Derrr.

Most people on food stamps do get off of them

In many of our communities, there is little opportunity to get off of them

Get a job is useless advice when there are no jobs
Get a job, means find or make a job. Useless is the act of pretending there are no jobs in a world where work is limitless, unbounded, infinite....

Great advice!

With 30 million Americans receiving government assistance, can you point to data showing that there are 30 million unfilled jobs or any time that 30 million new businesses were created so we can get these people off welfare?

Once you have done that ...we can start your plan
The reason million Americans are on welfare, is we are giving them welfare. People like free stuff.

As I said, you want proof that there are 30million unfilled jobs out there. What I'm telling you is that there is an INFINITE NUMBER OF UNFILLED JOBS OUT THERE. Your problem is you mind is too small. You can't even conceive of the idea of you yourself creating a job for you yourself. Not in a million years do you think someone could just come up with a job on their own. By your view all these jobs just grow on the job tree and you either grab one or are left out.. ROFL

Easy ....show me

Show me 30 million unfilled jobs out there for welfare families to take

You want them to create there own jobs? Show me any time in history when 30 million successful businesses were created in a year

ROFL Why should I do the work of 30million people? It's not my job to invent 30million jobs for 30million people. It's their job.

How about you show me how your war on poverty has eliminated poverty.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?

Actually, burger isn't always cheaper than other cuts. I have gone to the store and purchased cross cut rib roast at a LOT less than the lowest hamburger price. And there's little to no fat in the roast.

Since I'm not on foodstamps, I have to actually take these things into consideration when I'm shopping under the constraints of a miniscule food budget.
Ya, it is insane. I see burger all the time for more than other cuts of beef. I have an old hand cranked meat grinder I use for making sausage, but I will on occasion use it for burger, especially when I am having company and grilling burgers. No way I will pay the high price of burger when I can by a few cuts of cheap meat and a solid chunk of roast and make my own for a fraction of the cost. And it taste better. The trick is the amount of fat and running it through the grinder multiple times to make sure it is blended to the max.

what if its round steak?.....
All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.
I eat about five pounds of red meat a week.

I am 66, 6'4", 185lbs, and pretty damned healthy.

Hasn't hurt me a bit, as far as I can tell.
Give it some time, that diet will catch up with you, but that is not the point. There are healthier, less expensive options. You pay for your own food, so you can eat whatever you want. If I have to pay for your food you will be eating beans instead of beef, perhaps some chicken.
If someone else has to pay for my food, I will slit my wrists.
its not shameful to accept help if you truly need it....
Most people are on welfare don't really need the help, they just need someone to kick them in the ass.

So no hamburger either?

Ya, it is insane. I see burger all the time for more than other cuts of beef. I have an old hand cranked meat grinder I use for making sausage, but I will on occasion use it for burger, especially when I am having company and grilling burgers. No way I will pay the high price of burger when I can by a few cuts of cheap meat and a solid chunk of roast and make my own for a fraction of the cost. And it taste better. The trick is the amount of fat and running it through the grinder multiple times to make sure it is blended to the max.
I actually purchased a meat grinder for just this purpose..but as of yet have not used it, lol. Primarily because I so seldom can afford ANY cut of beef. We live on pork and chicken.

I had extensive training in EBT as a First Data (Cardservice International) agency owner. As it turns out, most of the "steak and lobster" purchases are at the end of a SNAP recipient's time in the program. They've either found work or become disqualified from further benefits and blow out the last month's money on a celebration. This can be stopped or the money recouped by ending the benefits on the same day as the recipient got his first paycheck instead of the last calendar day of the month.

Nothing is more infuriating to see in a grocery line but it's a drop in the bucket of fraud in the SNAP program. Any merchant caught selling forbidden items or trading EBT for small cash gets a TMF (terminated merchant file) and loses his ability to take any credit or debit card....ever again. Once a merchant has a terminated account, he can only take cash or checks (without verification) so report what you see...the store will likely be closed in a matter of weeks unless a new owner (not a wife or relative) is found.

Most people on food stamps do get off of them

In many of our communities, there is little opportunity to get off of them

Get a job is useless advice when there are no jobs
Get a job, means find or make a job. Useless is the act of pretending there are no jobs in a world where work is limitless, unbounded, infinite....

Great advice!

With 30 million Americans receiving government assistance, can you point to data showing that there are 30 million unfilled jobs or any time that 30 million new businesses were created so we can get these people off welfare?

The reason million Americans are on welfare, is we are giving them welfare. People like free stuff.

As I said, you want proof that there are 30million unfilled jobs out there. What I'm telling you is that there is an INFINITE NUMBER OF UNFILLED JOBS OUT THERE. Your problem is you mind is too small. You can't even conceive of the idea of you yourself creating a job for you yourself. Not in a million years do you think someone could just come up with a job on their own. By your view all these jobs just grow on the job tree and you either grab one or are left out.. ROFL

Easy ....show me

You want them to create there own jobs? Show me any time in history when 30 million successful businesses were created in a year

ROFL Why should I do the work of 30million people? It's not my job to invent 30million jobs for 30million people. It's their job.

Thats not what I asked

I'm just trying to help you prove your claim

Show me any point in history where 30 million new businesses were successfuly started then we can consider your plan as a possiblity

Otherwise we need to call it total bullshit

Why not use food stamps for seeds and plant the seeds for food?
what do they eat until the crops come in?....
You're right planting wont work.. they should buy mcdonalds instead.

Plus all that land welfare people live on it should be easy to plant food

What land would that be?

Homeless.jpg

I had extensive training in EBT as a First Data (Cardservice International) agency owner. As it turns out, most of the "steak and lobster" purchases are at the end of a SNAP recipient's time in the program. They've either found work or become disqualified from further benefits and blow out the last month's money on a celebration. This can be stopped or the money recouped by ending the benefits on the same day as the recipient got his first paycheck instead of the last calendar day of the month.

Nothing is more infuriating to see in a grocery line but it's a drop in the bucket of fraud in the SNAP program. Any merchant caught selling forbidden items or trading EBT for small cash gets a TMF (terminated merchant file) and loses his ability to take any credit or debit card....ever again. Once a merchant has a terminated account, he can only take cash or checks (without verification) so report what you see...the store will likely be closed in a matter of weeks unless a new owner (not a wife or relative) is found.

I worked in social services for years and I promise you, the cardservice people don't know shit about the programs...and I further promise you...snap recipients buy that stuff for parties and then come back to the DHS offices whining about the fact that their foodstamps have run out about 3 weeks into the month, claiming that they aren't getting enough.

I would cry with joy if I had $367 a month to feed my little family....and I've never in my life spent more than $500 on food...but a family of 6 (and I've cooked for a family of 6 and more) gets around $800 a month.

I remember calling the card service people when our ebt machine broke down. I got non-English speaking people in a variety of different countries, and none of them knew jack about anything. It was quite an experience.

What land would that be?

Homeless.jpg
Upper left corner where tree is planted. Looks like space for a tomato plant.

What land would that be?

Homeless.jpg

I dunno but the person who suggested they farm seems to think they have a lot

Do Republicans always fall for the most ridiculous shit? People on food stamps aren't going to waste the entire months supply on one day of eating large when they are supporting children. What the fuck is wrong with you people? You believe any right wingnut bullshit that comes along. Next, you'll be telling us that God runs the weather and vaccines cause autism and the earth is only thousands of years old. Jesus Christ you people have problems. The ignorance is simply too, too much.

I worked in social services for years and I promise you, the cardservice people don't know shit about the programs...and I further promise you...snap recipients buy that stuff for parties and then come back to the DHS offices whining about the fact that their foodstamps have run out about 3 weeks into the month, claiming that they aren't getting enough.

I would cry with joy if I had $367 a month to feed my little family....and I've never in my life spent more than $500 on food...but a family of 6 (and I've cooked for a family of 6 and more) gets around $800 a month.

:badgrin: Well, since First Data processes most of the credit/debit/EBT services in the US, I can assure you it's you who doesn't know shit about our merchants. The loss prevention department at FD is staffed by ex-LA bunko detectives who take a very active interest in EBT transactions. You can say what you want about smaller acquiring agencies like Payment Tech but we know what we're doing and our merchants know better than to play with us.

I remember calling the card service people when our ebt machine broke down. I got non-English speaking people in a variety of different countries, and none of them knew jack about anything. It was quite an experience.

Bullshit....Cardservice International (First Data) isn't some "card services"...you should STFU.

BTW, the agency the store bought or leased their equipment from isn't the processor.

Great advice!

Easy ....show me

Thats not what I asked

I'm just trying to help you prove your claim

Show me any point in history where 30 million new businesses were successfuly started then we can consider your plan as a possiblity

Otherwise we need to call it total bullshit
ROFL ... funny as hell. You're right everyone should quit their jobs right now and go on welfare cause there's no proof that their jobs will last forever.

Then we'll just all stand around and do absolutely nothing, cause doing nothing works great for everyone!

You're right a system in which people actually work to produce something that other people are willing to pay for and then we exchange money that we earned to buy products,... that system is total bullshit, it can't possibly work better than your welfare system that pays people to not produce anything.

Forum List

Back