Modern Man's Wardrobe....

Not sure about the hair, but I have one very important piece of grooming advice for you: unless you have serious BO problems, forego the cologne and go easy on the aftershave. Nothing worse than a man who smells like he's trying to chloroform a girl into submission. For the vast majority of men, just the - LIGHT - scent of soap and deodorant from a RECENT shower is better than any commercial scent I've ever found.

I've never been a big cologne or aftershave type of person. Maybe a little cologne if I have a date, but very rarely outside of that.

Then again some girls like the idea of being chloroformed into submission, but that's probably not a good idea for the first date. ;-)

Should you encounter a woman like that, and want to participate, I suggest just using chloroform. Such items and concepts should NEVER be part of your wardrobe/grooming.

Should you encounter a woman like that, and want to participate, I suggest just using chloroform. Such items and concepts should NEVER be part of your wardrobe/grooming.

I've known one or two with some "unusual" interests in the past; though the comment was more in jest than seriousness (that's about as close to a joke as you'll get from me). As I said, I don't wear much cologne/aftershave and I try to go with a simple, clean scented antiperspirant/deodorant.

You mentioned living in the city... quality yet subtle cologne may be an important asset. I live in the woods and the smell of 'the woodsy' things are fitting here. The smell of mechanic grease and sweat is also some of my favorite things to smell on a man. Those things in the city are perhaps not as inviting.

You mentioned living in the city... quality yet subtle cologne may be an important asset. I live in the woods and the smell of 'the woodsy' things are fitting here. The smell of mechanic grease and sweat is also some of my favorite things to smell on a man. Those things in the city are perhaps not as inviting.

Thanks for the input. That's on my list of things to talk to Emmi about on Sunday.

That would be why I specified "soap, deodorant, and freshly-washed man". :) Personally, I like sweaty men, but I like to get them sweaty myself, not have them show up that way.

Thanks for the input. That's on my list of things to talk to Emmi about on Sunday.

Well, if you absolutely MUST use some sort of scent, make sure it's high-quality and used sparingly. One thing I've never understood about the Mexican-American culture is their tendency to bathe in cheap colognes and perfumes. It can be really hard on a person who's sensitive to that sort of thing.

Well, if you absolutely MUST use some sort of scent, make sure it's high-quality and used sparingly. One thing I've never understood about the Mexican-American culture is their tendency to bathe in cheap colognes and perfumes. It can be really hard on a person who's sensitive to that sort of thing.

What I do use on those few rare occasions is definitely not name brand by any stretch of the imagination. I've never actually had any complaints about the scent. In fact it's gotten several compliments over the years. It is used very sparingly.

What I do use on those few rare occasions is definitely not name brand by any stretch of the imagination. I've never actually had any complaints about the scent. In fact it's gotten several compliments over the years. It is used very sparingly.

Good. Major pet peeve of mine. I HATE having a person make my eyes water and my nose burn just from walking past my table in the restaurant. And let's not even TALK about getting trapped in an elevator with such a person.

Good. Major pet peeve of mine. I HATE having a person make my eyes water and my nose burn just from walking past my table in the restaurant. And let's not even TALK about getting trapped in an elevator with such a person.

Nope. That's not an issue with me.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. The shopping trip with the Image Consultant was last Sunday (the 15th). OMG, was THAT an experience....

We met at Lord & Taylor in the Prudential Center Shoppes in Boston at 1:30 Sunday afternoon. She already had 2 pairs of jeans, a couple polo shirts, layering tees, and four casual button down shirts waiting for me in the fitting room. I put on the first outfit and Emmi's initial response was.... "We need to talk about you and this 'tucking' issue." She proceeded to explain to me that modern men's shirts are rarely tucked in, and that doing so made me look "10-15 years older" than I actually am. This is also when I got informed that men's pants for me should fit around the HIP, not the waist (something that is going to take some time for me to get used to).

As I tried on each outfit she would come in, comment on it, take things away, bring in new things for me to try on and generally educate me on what did and didn't look good. Including the fact that since I have a very short torso, most of my shirts were going to need to be shortened by a tailor. After a little over an hour at L&T, we finished with.... 2 pairs of Levi's jeans, a pair of Kenneth Cole jeans, a pair of Black & Brown men's slacks, a pair of Kenneth Cole chinos (grey), 2 layering tees, 2 polo shirts, and three men's casual button down shirts totaling a bit over $400 after the 20% discount.

Next if was off to United Colors of Benneton (which I NEVER would have gone into on my own). We spent about an hour there, coming away with my suit jacket and pants, a pair of casual blue suede shoes, a pair of casual men's slacks, a woven rope belt, three button down shirts (2 dressier and one more casual), and a windbreaker totalling just under $700 after the 30% discount there.

Our next stop was Banana Republic for Men (which is very different from the BR I remember from my youth). Three layering tees and three pairs of socks left with us for a little under $100.

Kenneth Cole was next on the agenda. A new minimalist leather wallet, a nice blue leather belt, one pair of grey/blue leather slip on shoes, and a nice subltle blue striped tie were purchased there for right around $200.

As we're doing all of this, Emmi is trying to explain to me how, when, where, and why this is all supposed to be worn. I got educated on how tight my belt should be (looser than I would have normally guessed), how long a shirt, jacket, pants, etc... should really be, and many other things that I would never even have considered on my own.

Then we were off to Johnston & Murphy. I'd known they were on the list of places to go. They're a high end leather store focusing mostly on shoes. Three pairs of shoes, including a pair of beautiful hand-made Italian leather dress shoes (priced @ $267 before discount) and two belts were purchased there for just a tad over $600.

Our last stop was back at Lord & Taylor to replace my aging watch. We found a gorgeous yet very simple Skagen watch that looks spectacular on my smallish wrist. Emmi and I were both shocked to find it priced at only $120. I wore it away from the counter as we headed downstairs to collect the bag of clothes from earlier in the day and part company.

It was four and a half hours of non-stop shopping. I've honestly never experienced anything like it in my life. Of course walking into a place like Johnston & Murphy and having BOTH sales associates rush over to ask if they can help, knowing who you're with is an experience all its own. I figure I SAVED probably 65-75% of the cost of the service due to shopping with Emmi. The total trip cost right around $2000, which was right on budget. It was also a lot of fun. She was humorous and down to earth, but definitely decisive and informative in what did and didn't fit, look right, or work for me. Definitely an experience that I will repeat on a smaller scale this fall if I'm still living in the area as I prepare a fall/winter wardrobe.

I went to the tailor in Worcester on Tuesday and got everything measured to be altered. Everything should be back in my hands by the middle of next week. I've already taken many of her suggestions to heart (like the tucking thing) and trying to make the best of the old wardrobe until the new items are ready. It's definitely going to be a new experience with the new look and style.

Yesterday I had an Epiphany whilst in a Dillards store, which sells all men's fragrances in the "Sephora" Department: ASK FOR SAMPLES!

I simply explained that She-Who-Smells-Me wasn't with me at the moment, but that if the clerk would prepare small atomizers of Gucci by Gucci and Polo Black, then I'd aromatize myself in her presence to determine her preference.

I got enough for a month of romance.

I usually get my work clothes and stuff from Stacey Adams.

Stacy Adams Shoes - The Official Website

00614-967.jpg

3690-249.jpg

SA7307-701.jpg

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. The shopping trip with the Image Consultant was last Sunday (the 15th). OMG, was THAT an experience....

We met at Lord & Taylor in the Prudential Center Shoppes in Boston at 1:30 Sunday afternoon. She already had....... I've already taken many of her suggestions to heart (like the tucking thing) and trying to make the best of the old wardrobe until the new items are ready. It's definitely going to be a new experience with the new look and style.

Um...ok, nice clothes, but.......

was she hawt?

I would not have been embarrassed before all of this.

How do you like it all?

Even I have to admit that some of what I've been wearing is pretty bad.

I like it. It's definitely a departure from what I'm used to. I'm trying to be open-minded and go with it. Things like wearing slip-on shoes, which I've never done before are taking some time to get used to. Especially since I have narrow feet. Almost a week later and there's only one item we bought that I'm not still 100% ecstatic about wearing regularly, and that's the windbreaker. I like it, I'm just not sure I love it. It's growing on me, though. We'll see in a couple weeks once I'm into wearing only the new stuff after it's back from the tailor, but I'm very happy.

Forum List

Back