🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

More "freedom" going on - doesnt rate a mention

Family of 4 dies in Texas hotel shooting

A family of 4 dead. Mom shot her kids aged 5 and 10 and her husband.Then killed herself.

I wonder if those kids would still be alive if this woman found it difficult to get a gun ?

Is it just possible ?

s0n........your elevator doesn't quite reach the top floor........like ever. Only mental cases don't realize that there are weapons other than guns to kill people with.

ghey:gay:

Like many Euros, he is completely sold on the idea that only the government and criminals (same thing really) should have guns.
He needs to keep his fucking nose out of our business.
Agreed, but we all know some Euros get a wonderful kick out of condemning the USA.

the world of "HATE THE USA" is going to be screaming SHITHOLE COUNTRIES for
years

lol.......in the past several days, "shithole" has become the favorite term for tens of millions of people in this country. I use it to describe someone or something publically most every day now.:2up:

A family of 4 dead. Mom shot her kids aged 5 and 10 and her husband.Then killed herself.

I wonder if those kids would still be alive if this woman found it difficult to get a gun ?

Is it just possible ?
She could have easily killed them driving into a bridge abutment.

Ban cars and bridges.

Poison is the traditional way of wives murdering.

One meal, everyone eats, everyone dies.

Is it just possible ?
She could have easily killed them driving into a bridge abutment.

Ban cars and bridges.

Poison is the traditional way of wives murdering.

One meal, everyone eats, everyone dies.
Yes, they do say poison is a woman's weapon.

There is a direct correlation between the availability of guns (more guns) and increased gun crimes. I'm not emotionally afraid of guns. I have a gun. I just don't worship it and feel I need to drag it everywhere with me like a kid. It's a tool I use when my husband and I go target shooting. Otherwise, it's put away like my other tools.

And, speaking of "have no argument" - you're building a strawman. I don't want to ban guns. You make exactly the kind of argument that I was complaining about in my first post in this thread.

You present it as only two options: ban guns or no restrictions whatsoever on guns. Those are the only two positions you seem to see. Is there anything in between those extremes that you would consider reasonable?

This statement is factually incorrect Coyote.

Which one?

You claim a correlation between easy access to guns and gun crime. This is not factual. The opposite is true. Those counties that have the easiest access to guns also enjoy the lowest rate of crime. Those counties that have the lowest rate of LEGAL gun ownership, have the highest rates of violent crime and murder. This has been the result of multiple criminology studies carried out over 25 years.

It's a bit hard to compare what I said with what you said.

For example - these countries have strict gun regulations, and low rates of firearm related deaths:

Greece, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Iceland, Britain, Germany....

This article shows gun ownership by country....(presumably legal...since it would be hard to get numbers on illegal guns?)
Mapped: The countries with the most guns (no prizes for guessing #1)

The 10 countries with the most guns
  1. USA - 112.6 guns per 100 residents
  2. Serbia - 75.6
  3. Yemen - 54.8
  4. Switzerland - 45.7
  5. Cyprus - 36.4
  6. Saudi Arabia - 35
  7. Iraq - 34.2
  8. Uruguay - 31.8
  9. Sweden - 31.6
  10. Norway - 31.3
It's kind of interesting. It's also important to note the gun cultures of these countries. Sweden and Norway have a VERY different culture than the US when it comes to guns. There is a permitting system, they have to take a test and training (pretty elemental) and maybe some other things. But guns are just a tool - they use them when it's hunting season, or sporting events then put them away. I was listening to an interview with and the Norwegian was shocked at our gun culture. He said people don't walk around in public wearing their guns - they have then to use for a particular event and put them away.

Iraq and Serbia aren't surprising - lots of guns from their wars. Serbia also has very liberal gun laws.

The 10 countries with the least guns
  1. Tunisia - 0.1 guns per 100 residents
  2. Timor-Leste - 0.3
  3. Solomon Islands - 0.4
  4. Ghana - 0.4
  5. Ethiophia - 0.4
  6. Singapore - 0.5
  7. Indonesia - 0.5
  8. Fiji - 0.5
  9. Eritrea - 0.5
  10. Bangladesh - 0.5

Culture is the operative word as well. The overwhelming majority of violence occurs in third world countries that all have violent cultures. Life is cheap in the third world. The one aspect that the USA has that no other country in Europe has, until recently, is a large population of immigrants from the third world. Europe has opened her borders to third world refugees and what do you see? Violent crime is skyrocketing as is gun crime.

The two go hand in hand.

That isn't the kind of culture I was referring to - but rather the culture surrounding guns - a tool vs an object of power/veneration. Life IS cheap in many areas but increases in violent crime are more nuanced then some would portray in a sweeping generalization.

A German study has linked increases in violence and crime to migrants in Europe
The study funded by Germany's Ministry of Family Affairs found that many violent crimes reported by police in that time linked to male migrants between 14 and 30 years old, according to Deutsche Welle. Violent crimes were significantly less likely to be committed by male migrants from Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria than they were by male migrants from northern Africa, the study said.

The problem might be culture but it might also be other factors as well that are known to be associated with crime rates: economic poverty, lack of opportunities to work, lack of a future, don't kill me - but being young and male....probably play a role. The problem in Germany for example is too many at once and an inability to aculturate, absorb that many.

object of veneration? Interesting thought. In Islamic lands----part of the standard dress
of a gentleman includes a LARGE ORNATE dagger------prominently displayed tucked into a
waist sash. Such daggers are SO IMPORTANT that they were featured prominently in an
"ISLAMIC ART" EXPOSITION------done in Manhattan, NY---sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
Something like half the exhibits were the ornate daggers -----and bigger things---like
scimitars. The handles were of silver with complex filigree-----really lovely. I did whisper
little jokes at hubby-------DID I COMMIT BLASPHEMY?

object of veneration? Interesting thought. In Islamic lands----part of the standard dress
of a gentleman includes a LARGE ORNATE dagger------prominently displayed tucked into a
waist sash. Such daggers are SO IMPORTANT that they were featured prominently in an
"ISLAMIC ART" EXPOSITION------done in Manhattan, NY---sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
Something like half the exhibits were the ornate daggers -----and bigger things---like
scimitars. The handles were of silver with complex filigree-----really lovely. I did whisper

Ya well...something about men and weaponry...

Yes.....gun ownership went through the roof.....and gun crime went down...

There are studies that support the belief that guns in private hands helped lower the crime rate....I have linked to those in earlier posts....

But the real problem for you......moron.......is that the last 21 years have shown that the basic, the fundamental argument that you guys make......is wrong.....and has no basis in reality....

You guys claim that More Guns = More Gun Crime....that is your entire argument.....

And it has been proven wrong over 21 years ........as more Americans bought and carried guns....the gun crime rates went down, not up...showing that you have nothing....your arguments are based on false premises and a lack of understanding.......

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 16.3 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

More Guns......less crime.....you have nothing....

You are just spamming the same crap over and over again.

The source you yourself used - Pew even said that there were MANY factors involved in declining crime rates and that increased gun ownership was not necessarily causal in the rates going down.

Mobile phone ownership increased during that time. As mobile phone ownership went up - violent crime went down. Hmmm....according to your logic...it must be causal.

Yes.....you now have to run from the fact that the fundamental argument you guys make....

More Guns = More Gun Crime....

Is disproven by those 21 years of Americans buying more and more guns...and more and more Americans carrying those guns for self defense...showing for all the world to see that normal. law abiding people, owning and carrying guns does not increase the gun crime rate...at all.....and that the gun murder rate went down 49%....the gun crime rate went down 75%....and the violent crime rate went down 72%...

Which is the exact oppososite of what you anti gun extremists said would happen......

You have no argument....facts, research, and real world experience show you have no argument......you just want to ban guns because you are emotionally afraid of guns...

There is a direct correlation between the availability of guns (more guns) and increased gun crimes. I'm not emotionally afraid of guns. I have a gun. I just don't worship it and feel I need to drag it everywhere with me like a kid. It's a tool I use when my husband and I go target shooting. Otherwise, it's put away like my other tools.

And, speaking of "have no argument" - you're building a strawman. I don't want to ban guns. You make exactly the kind of argument that I was complaining about in my first post in this thread.

You present it as only two options: ban guns or no restrictions whatsoever on guns. Those are the only two positions you seem to see. Is there anything in between those extremes that you would consider reasonable?

Moron

There is a direct correlation between the availability of guns (more guns) and increased gun crimes.

Baltimore has all of the extrem gun control laws you want....fingerprinting, registering guns, assault weapon ban, magazine limits......every single one...

Houston....in a border state next to the drug cartel regions of Mexico......has gun stores on every corner, and people carry guns easily..........

Murder rate 2017
Baltimore......343
Population of cities 2016:

Houston........2.3 million

Baltimore......620,961

Murder rate 2016:

Houston .......301

Baltimore......318

Moron......you don't know what you are talking about......

Is that really comparable?

Cities with the worst rates of violent crimes try to solve that with greater restrictions on firearms - so it's a chicken and egg approach - which came first?

Crime rates among cities are affected by a number of factors - do you agree or disagree or do you think it's soley down to gun laws? Is it that simplistic?

Top 30 US Cities for murder rates (as of Nov 2017): The 30 cities with the highest murder rates in the US

St. Louis, MO
Baltimore MD
Detroit MI
New Orleans LA
Birmingham AL
Jackson MS
Baton Rouge LA
Hartford CT
Salinas CA
Milwaukee LA
Washington DC
Kansas City MO
Savannah GA
Cincinnatti OH
West Palm Beach FL
Memphis TN
Oakland CA
San Bernadino CA
Atlanta GA
Richmond VA
Kansas City KA
Pittsburgh, PA
Dayton OH
Philadelphia PA
Chicago, IL
North Charleston, SC
Miami, FL
Indianapolis, IN
South Bend, IN
Waco TX

They are spread across MO, IN, PA, IL, FL, TX, OH, KA, VA, GA, TN, SC, DC, LA, MS, MI, MD....

Most gun control laws are at the state level.

Among states with the least restrictive gun laws we have Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana....and 6 of the 30 most violent cities.

Among states with the most restrictive gun laws we have Illinois, Maryland, Connecticut, California....and another 6 of the 30 most violent cities.

Some of those cities have lost jobs and industries - all of which contribute to violent crime rates. Others have big problems in drugs and drug trafficking - which brings violence in with it. Another factor - poverty.

So given that the top most violent cities occur in states with strict gun laws and states with the least strict gun laws - and many inbetween - how can you claim causation?

(moron)

And those states......have democrat controlled cities...cities controlled by democrats for decades....with revolving door policies for violent gun criminals, which democrats support for fear of being racist against the minority gang members.

And again.........the core concept of you and your anti gunners...that more guns create more gun crime....is a lie.......it hasn't been born out over 21 years of increased gun ownership and more and more Americans carrying guns for self defense......you can't refute that, you can't deny it....it destroys everything you say about guns...

Last edited:
No, dipshit....please keep up.....Pew showed that gun murder went down, gun crime went down, violent crime went down...those are facts....

You then went on to try to use opinion polls to push anti gun actions that do not work, and I showed you that those people responding to the opinion part of the Pew Research were not given accurate questions to respond to.......

You showed nothing of the sort. Dipshit.

You took Pew's facts and used them to claim it was caused by increased gun ownership when Pew made no such causal claim.

No...dipshit....I showed that Americans owning guns does not increase the gun crime rate....then I also linked to research that shows that Americans who own and also carry guns decrease the violent crime rate...

And I linked to research that showed no correlation between gun ownership and a decrease in violent crime and infact - research showing a correlation between an increase in gun ownership and an increase in gun related deaths (not necessarily violent crime - but deaths). But you claim it's from "rabid anti-gun nuts" while expecting me to accept research from "rabid pro gun nuts".

And again, you are running away and trying to avoid the fact....that the entire foundational argument of the anti gun extremism you follow........is wrong......and has no basis in facts, statistics or reality......
I'm not running away from anything dude. I'm here talking with you now.

As more Americans own and carry guns....our gun murder rate went down, our gun crime rate went down, our violent crime rate went down....

As more Americans own and carry cellphones....our gun murder rate went down, our gun crime rate went down, our violent crime rate went down....

As an additional point...as Britain did the exact opposite...banned and confiscated guns...their gun crime rate went up, their violent crime rate went up....

It's extremely difficult to compare crime statistics across countries....but answer this: Who has a hire rate of gun deaths per capita - the US or Britain?

As more Americans own and carry cellphones....our gun murder rate went down, our gun crime rate went down, our violent crime rate went down....

Nice try...that isn't the argument you anti gunners make.....you state over and over and you have done it here as well....

More guns = more gun crime......

And 21 years have shown this is not true...it isn't based in facts or reality....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 16.3 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

How many gun related homicides in the US?

How many in Britain?

Again....you hide behind the homicide statistic......which has no bearing on gun control laws......since the United States had increased gun ownership, and decreasing gun crime and gun murder.....

Britain banned and confiscated guns....let me repeat that since you are slow.....Britain banned and confiscated guns, doing the exact opposite of the United States...

And What happened?

Their gun murder rate went up....their gun crime rate keeps going up...up 27% just last year as an island nation, and up 42% in their capitol city of London.....and their violent crime rate is going up so much, London is more violent than the United States....all of Britain is more violent than the United States.......

They did what you believe...they banned and confiscated guns....and it increased their gun violence...

The only thing...their criminals are behind ours....they don't commit murder as often or as easily....so you cling to that, even as more gun crime happens in Britain..which means that eventually, their gun murder rate is going to sky rocket.......then you will have nothing...

Ya well...something about men and weaponry...

he actually did commit blasphemy-----he managed to work out the letters that spell the word
"shochet" in the complex filigree. --------I was sure we were going to have our heads lopped
off

Yes.....you now have to run from the fact that the fundamental argument you guys make....

More Guns = More Gun Crime....

Is disproven by those 21 years of Americans buying more and more guns...and more and more Americans carrying those guns for self defense...showing for all the world to see that normal. law abiding people, owning and carrying guns does not increase the gun crime rate...at all.....and that the gun murder rate went down 49%....the gun crime rate went down 75%....and the violent crime rate went down 72%...

Which is the exact oppososite of what you anti gun extremists said would happen......

You have no argument....facts, research, and real world experience show you have no argument......you just want to ban guns because you are emotionally afraid of guns...

This statement is factually incorrect Coyote.

Which one?

You claim a correlation between easy access to guns and gun crime. This is not factual. The opposite is true. Those counties that have the easiest access to guns also enjoy the lowest rate of crime. Those counties that have the lowest rate of LEGAL gun ownership, have the highest rates of violent crime and murder. This has been the result of multiple criminology studies carried out over 25 years.

It's a bit hard to compare what I said with what you said.

For example - these countries have strict gun regulations, and low rates of firearm related deaths:

Greece, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Iceland, Britain, Germany....

This article shows gun ownership by country....(presumably legal...since it would be hard to get numbers on illegal guns?)
Mapped: The countries with the most guns (no prizes for guessing #1)

The 10 countries with the most guns
  1. USA - 112.6 guns per 100 residents
  2. Serbia - 75.6
  3. Yemen - 54.8
  4. Switzerland - 45.7
  5. Cyprus - 36.4
  6. Saudi Arabia - 35
  7. Iraq - 34.2
  8. Uruguay - 31.8
  9. Sweden - 31.6
  10. Norway - 31.3
It's kind of interesting. It's also important to note the gun cultures of these countries. Sweden and Norway have a VERY different culture than the US when it comes to guns. There is a permitting system, they have to take a test and training (pretty elemental) and maybe some other things. But guns are just a tool - they use them when it's hunting season, or sporting events then put them away. I was listening to an interview with and the Norwegian was shocked at our gun culture. He said people don't walk around in public wearing their guns - they have then to use for a particular event and put them away.

Iraq and Serbia aren't surprising - lots of guns from their wars. Serbia also has very liberal gun laws.

The 10 countries with the least guns
  1. Tunisia - 0.1 guns per 100 residents
  2. Timor-Leste - 0.3
  3. Solomon Islands - 0.4
  4. Ghana - 0.4
  5. Ethiophia - 0.4
  6. Singapore - 0.5
  7. Indonesia - 0.5
  8. Fiji - 0.5
  9. Eritrea - 0.5
  10. Bangladesh - 0.5

Interesting that you mentioned Sweden...their gun crime and grenade throwing is going up...why? Because they imported violent men from the 3rd world who fail to see the same attitude about murder as the Swedes do....

Sweden and Norway have a VERY different culture than the US when it comes to guns. There is a permitting system, they have to take a test and training (pretty elemental) and maybe some other things. But guns are just a tool - they use them when it's hunting season, or sporting events then put them away. I was listening to an interview with and the Norwegian was shocked at our gun culture. He said people don't walk around in public wearing their guns - they have then to use for a particular event and put them away.

Why Sweden has more fatal shootings per capita than Norway and Germany

Sweden has in recent years seen a sharp increase in the number of shootings per capita, with research suggesting that the Scandinavian country is statistically on par with southern Italy and parts of Ireland.

In 2016, some 250 shootings (random, fatal and non-fatal) were registered by police in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö. In 2014, that number came to 200, indicating that Sweden is experiencing a drastic rise in such incidents.

“We don’t really know why yet, but what we can see is that the increase comes as we also see a rise in gang-related crimes and a growing number of criminal networks,” Manne Gerell, a criminologist at Malmö University, told The Local, after Swedish public radio first wrote about new research he is involved in.

One study which is yet to be published suggests that Sweden experienced four to five times as many fatal shootings per capita as Norway and Germany in 2008-2014, two otherwise similar countries. Previous figures have shown that deadly violence in general is going down in Sweden, but gun violence has gone up.

Gerell also singled out Malmö, Sweden’s third-largest city, as the one place where shootings are becoming particularly common.

“Malmö stands out,” he said, noting that the southern city is somewhat more exposed to social problems and poverty in comparison to both the capital and Gothenburg.

“Malmö is also what we describe an ‘early adopter’ when it comes to crime. It was the first of the three cities where hand grenade crimes became more commonplace and it was also the place for the establishment of Sweden’s first biker-gangs. We don’t know whether this is to do with its proximity to the European continent or not, but it could explain why the trends seem to start there.”

=========

Gun violence in Sweden surpasses neighboring countries, researchers say - Radio Sweden

New research says Sweden sees more deadly shootings per capita than its closest European neighbors, and the low number of gun crimes solved by police here may be part of the reason why.

Sweden experiences four to five times more fatal shootings per capita than Norway and Germany, according to the ongoing research from Malmö University, Karolinska Hospital and Stockholm University.

The areas with the most shootings are Sweden's major cities: Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö.

The victims as well as the perpetrators also tend to be younger than those in other the countries.

The only thing not mentioned.....their muslim religion...

5-year-old, 8-year-old among victims in triple murder, carjacking in north Nashville

What freedom did 5 year old Samaii Daniel have ?
How did the second amendment protect her ?
Another domestic situation that ends in a body count.

You should ask that question of the 1,500,000 Americans each year who use their guns to stop rape, robbery and murder.....according to bill clinton and barak obama.....

So....you didn't answer the question.....for you, you would rather that a woman is raped than she be able to use a gun to stop that rape....right? Please answer the question....

Dittos for violent robbery, murder and kidnapping......right?

An alternate observation. IF someone gets to the point that they're going to murder someone they are close to, it can be assumed that they would do so regardless of having a gun or not. Personally, if my spouse goes whacko and decides to off me and mine, I should prefer to be shot in the head, than to have him rip me limb from limb (which he is more than capable of.) I would consider it a mercy from things I can imagine...
Or they may calm down and decide not to kill you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Unlikely. This isn't like a good guy in a movie, some person who hesitates before killing anyone, this is someone who has for whatever reason has lost their mind to the point of enacting violence against someone he/she supposedly loves and cares for.

This is actually why women (and their children) need to leave if their man /ever/ hits them with intent to do harm (not spankings, not a "snap out of it" slap in the face, but an intent to do harm) - because it's a mind-set and once they cross that line there is no question that they have a deeply flawed understanding of their role in the family. This idea applies to women as well, though it's a bit more "individual case basis" and too hard to define in a quick paragraph. One someone crosses the line that it's "okay" to harm someone close to them, there really isn't a "recovery" - they've already made it okay in their heads, be that because he/she cheated, pissed him/her off, or whatever excuse they make up, the bottom line is they've made it "okay" in their mind and morals to inflict serious pain and harm upon their loved one(s).

Either way though, I'd rather not suffer the beating whilst my husband "changes his mind." In my situation, I have no doubt that he'd "go all the way," he knows better than to let me live if he ever gets even a little violent with me. (Not that I've ever worried about this, my husband isn't that kind of insane.)
Violence can take many different forms. I think that people who are abused are abused because they allow it. In my experience,which I will admit is limited. We know a couple where controlling behaviour is going on in front of us,its not violent but it is abusive.
What I am referring to here is that moment when somebody snaps. Everybody has a breaking point and of course there could be mental health issues. Guns make it too easy for people to kill in these circumstances and there doesnt appear to be any process in place to mitigate this.
Should there be restrictions,as an example, on men who have been convicted of domestic abuse ? Or road rage ? Or any other type of violence. There may already be some of these in place but there are so many guns out there it looks like a free for all.

Sorry...it doesn't work that way....the actual cause of the murder is a history of crime and violence, and drug and alchohol addiction or mental illness........that is the problem...not normal gun owners who suddenly snap over a burnt dinner......

You have no idea what you are talking about......

just an impression-------more guns---more gun ACCIDENTS----also---guns are a
very convenient means for suicide-----CONVENIENT-------but there are MANY
other ways

5-year-old, 8-year-old among victims in triple murder, carjacking in north Nashville

What freedom did this family have...

Depressed father murdered family before killing himself in fire

A father deeply affected by the loss of a baby killed his wife and two young sons four years later, an inquest has heard, before setting their bedroom on fire and embracing them as he too died. The destruction of a once-happy family followed a mental breakdown by Richard Smith, who was 37 and unfailingly took time off with his wife, Clair, on the anniversary of their second baby's miscarriage.

other ways
The way I see it...there are plenty of things bad in this world, most of them people. And if some bad person comes into my house to harm my family with a gun, then I want one to defend them.

A violent thug, with a history of violence........the actual real cause of the violence......

A look at Brooks’ criminal history in Davidson County shows he was already facing an aggravated assault charge for attacking his ex-girlfriend back in September.

other ways

Yeah...not so much.....we have close to 600 million guns in private hands and now over 16.3 million people with permits to carry their guns.......and here are the accidental death rates from 2016...just released...

Gravity kills more people accidentally than guns do...

Fatal Injury Data | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC

Gun.....495

Car.......38,748

poisoning......58,335

falling.......34,673

suffocation...6,610

drowning......3,786

Forum List

Back