Most overrated rock bands

Born to Run? I would rather drink hot lava. 37 tracks of gratuitous soloing, adding up to a diahrrea stream of cacophony and some guy making noises with his mouth that sound like my car turning over, but not starting.

I enjoy some of Springsteens songs but when I think of what I enjoy about them it’s the E Street Band. Clarence Clemons was amazing.
As for Bruce?
No singing ability, harsh, guttural, difficult to understand.

Limelight

Spirit of the Radio

Subdivisions

Xanadu

Red Barchetta

Working Man
When the song Working Man comes on I change the station. I place most of their songs, that one included, as cookie cutter songs. Tom Sawyer is their best by some margin in my opinion. I am just judging their delivery and creativity and repeated listening quality. It is one of the few songs I can handle his voice along with the rest of the band. Oddly it took some spaceship keyboard a la Styx to impress me.lol.

Last edited:
I have the most ecleptic taste in music from classical,.jazz to old scool hip hop. It's an opinion question and the Eagles imo are one of the most overrated bands in history. A pretty good band,.yes, but their popularity/album sales far suppass their creativity imo.

I never got into jazz
. I prefer 70s and 80s

Honestly - Rolling Stones.
And I say that with the opinion that Some Girls is one of the best rock albums of all time.
Buuuut - nearly everything they did - they did over 50 years ago. And almost every song you are going to hear on the radio actually only came from 3 albums.
They have 31 studio albums. With only 3 good, and a couple others not too bad.
They may still be together, but they have sounded dreadful for the past 20 years at least.
I think that they're the ones who put out Shark Sandwich!

Honestly - Rolling Stones.
And I say that with the opinion that Some Girls is one of the best rock albums of all time.
Buuuut - nearly everything they did - they did over 50 years ago. And almost every song you are going to hear on the radio actually only came from 3 albums.
They have 31 studio albums. With only 3 good, and a couple others not too bad.
They may still be together, but they have sounded dreadful for the past 20 years at least.
For a long time I agreed but now looking back and revisiting all the great songs I've grown to appreciate them more.

It is true they've been riding that same old wave a long long time but why not ?

The low hanging fruit has been picked: The Grateful Dead, Guns-n-Roses, Kiss, Bon Jovi, U2...Anyone can burp up those monuments to mediocrity in their sleep.

How about...

Bob Dylan...QUIT TRYING TO SING, ASSHOLE!...If I admit that your music writing skills are above average, would you just STFU and get into the boiler room, and sell your songs to some band with at least middling talent?

Aerosmith...Worst concert I ever attended...The apex of their booze and drug addled career was in the '90s, after they dried out and went in the MTV bubble gum pop-rock direction...For what that mediocre crap was worth....Yuck.

Oasis...Hilariously pushed out by the marketing flakes as the "Beatles of the '90s", this British dumpster fire sucked out loud.

Boston....Yes, their debut album was an epic icon of the late '70s, but they were a one trick pony..."The musical growth rate of this band cannot be charted".

Red Hot Chili Peppers....Not because they suck, but because they're seriously mediocre.....Nowhere near their hype.

Coldplay...People actually pay money to listen to this front "man" whine at them?....Are you fucking serious?

The low hanging fruit has been picked: The Grateful Dead, Guns-n-Roses, Kiss, Bon Jovi, U2...Anyone can burp up those monuments to mediocrity in their sleep.

How about...

Bob Dylan...QUIT TRYING TO SING, ASSHOLE!...If I admit that your music writing skills are above average, would you just STFU and get into the boiler room, and sell your songs to some band with at least middling talent?

Aerosmith...Worst concert I ever attended...The apex of their booze and drug addled career was in the '90s, after they dried out and went in the MTV bubble gum pop-rock direction...For what that mediocre crap was worth....Yuck.

Oasis...Hilariously pushed out by the marketing flakes as the "Beatles of the '90s", this British dumpster fire sucked out loud.

Boston....Yes, their debut album was an epic icon of the late '70s, but they were a one trick pony..."The musical growth rate of this band cannot be charted".

Red Hot Chili Peppers....Not because they suck, but because they're seriously mediocre.....Nowhere near their hype.

Coldplay...People actually pay money to listen to this front "man" whine at them?....Are you fucking serious?
I stopped enjoying new bands basically after LSD became popular. I never enjoyed drug stuffed music and that includes the later Beatles. ACDC is the exception imo.

Greg

How about...

I can’t stand Dylan’s vocals.

Under the Bridge by the Chili Peppers is a song I just hate, and I couldn’t seem to avoid when it was released.

I can’t stand Dylan’s vocals.

Under the Bridge by the Chili Peppers is a song I just hate, and I couldn’t seem to avoid when it was released.
Dylan in his more folksie days was quite interesting; I liked his music even if a lot of it was lifted from Trad Folk. Oddly enough a lot of his early songs here (in Oz) I remember being sung by others. Some examples: Blowing in the Wind, Don't Think Twice It's Alright and The Times They Are a-Changin'. Afterwards I heard Dylan's versions and frankly the Seekers' versions were more pleasant.
imo of course.

Greg

I stopped enjoying new bands basically after LSD became popular. I never enjoyed drug stuffed music and that includes the later Beatles. ACDC is the exception imo.

Greg

I could never get into Jefferson Airplane.

And Pink Floyd took ages to get going. And now with Roger Waters, they’re totally off limits.

I could never get into Jefferson Airplane.

And Pink Floyd took ages to get going. And now with Roger Waters, they’re totally off limits.
A lot of the songs from The Day sounded fine but the lyrics were stupid: Imagine, Brick in the wall, quite a few others. Oddly enough I thought Jimmy Hendrix was incredible, so he is NOT on my over-rated list. And Janis Joplin? Bloody awful!! One good song that she nearly wrecked.

Greg

How about...

I agree, sadly, with Aerosmith.
And again, I say it with the opinion that Aerosmith Rocks just might be the best rock album of all time. Should be in the top 10 of any serious rock appreciator.
But they had a snag. The singer who gave the band such a unique sound - is a colossal narcissist and male prima donna. He wanted the spotlight in anyway he could get it. And it caused the band to break up in 1979 - 81. Getting back together from time to time but never returned to what they once were.
Another example of a band spanning multiple decades, whose greatness was really only one or 2 decades at best.

We divide a bit on Boston. Only saying it, because I don't believe people really go gaga over Boston the band, but Boston the album. And what an album. But, as I am sure you know, like Aerosmith they had a member who is perhaps rocks greatest asshole - Tom Scholz. Brilliant, but insanely unable to let anything go. And filed lawsuits against anything that moved. He killed the band before it could possibly go any further. Did you know that Boston "Don't Look Back" was actually written before Boston the album?

Bob Dylan. Not my thing. Overrated? Hard to say. His influence circle is huge, and still influences artist still today. His voice sucked ass, his songs were often recorded too slow, and other artist did retreads of his music that was better than his original. I do agree it would have been better if he stuck only to writing songs for other bands.

Forum List

Back