Most overrated rock bands

Poision?
I would say Rush but only because no one can name one hit song for them. But they seemed really talented & creative.
Rush had Neil Peart. Not only one of the best drummers of all time, but an amazing lyricist. One of the best of both.
Without Peart, Rush would have never got any farther then their basement.
IMO - it is not Rush that is overrated, it is Geddy Lee. His rather annoying, shrilling voice and singing style that hid Pearts amazing lyrics. Geddy almost ended their career with his insistence on releasing terrible techno pop music heavy on synthesizers. Absolutely terrible. Sucks ass. Ruined the band completely. After Peart died, the band was over.

Another - the Beatles.
No they are not the first rock band, and no they didn't create the sound they are known for.
Paul McCartney would record himself farting if he thought it would sell. Most of the songs he did are bubble gum teeny bopper songs.
They were all over the place. Some of their music was absolutely brilliant and new. But most were just okay to crap.
It is impossible to imagine the same people did I am the Walrus, also did Maxwell Hammer... whatever the hell that was.
The Beatles music had lyrics that didn't make any sense.

And Janis Joplin? Bloody awful!! One good song that she nearly wrecked.

Greg
I don't think Janis is overrated. I think she is pretty much held in a place within rock history where she belongs. I don't think anyone has ever said she is "one of the greatest artist of all time". Not even close.
But she had a very unique voice that is polarizing. People either like it or not. She was also a unique soul who never grew up. She died at 27 years old, but had the mind of about a 16 year old.
She has a handful of songs still played on radio today... and that is where she belongs.

Rush had Neil Peart. Not only one of the best drummers of all time, but an amazing lyricist. One of the best of both.
Without Peart, Rush would have never got any farther then their basement.
IMO - it is not Rush that is overrated, it is Geddy Lee. His rather annoying, shrilling voice and singing style that hid Pearts amazing lyrics. Geddy almost ended their career with his insistence on releasing terrible techno pop music heavy on synthesizers. Absolutely terrible. Sucks ass. Ruined the band completely. After Peart died, the band was over.
Progressive (ish) bands like Rush and Yes and Steely Dan produced about 10% interesting material and 90% filler.

"We need a chord change here, let's maybe drop a beat, it will make us sound skilled!"

"Well then let's do TWO OF EACH! Then we will sound doubly skilled!"

"Sweet! Musicians will think we composed a genius piece after years of hard work!"

🤮

We divide a bit on Boston. Only saying it, because I don't believe people really go gaga over Boston the band, but Boston the album. And what an album. But, as I am sure you know, like Aerosmith they had a member who is perhaps rocks greatest asshole - Tom Scholz. Brilliant, but insanely unable to let anything go. And filed lawsuits against anything that moved. He killed the band before it could possibly go any further. Did you know that Boston "Don't Look Back" was actually written before Boston the album?
But Scholz, like Brian May, could muster only one sound...Both one-trick ponies.

Any of those bands with the over distorted guitars and the screechy lead singer.

Any "whine rock" band from the late 90s/early 2000s.

I can't name one, but I can name them all.

Take two words and smash them together.

ShineFall

SoupLizard

SilverFork

NickleBack

But Scholz, like Brian May, could muster only one sound...Both one-trick ponies.
That was evident with the 3rd album release, which was really just old material Scholz had written years before. And the newer stuff he wrote, indeed, sounded just like the old stuff.

Forum List

Back