Most PC-contorted Language?

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I believe the airline industry is the "gift that keeps on giving" in regards to this subject. You'll note at the beginning they can't simply announce, "We'd like to pre-board handicapped passengers," no, they have to say, "We'd like to preboard passengers in need of special assistance who may need extra time getting settled in." Think of it, a big flowery sentence to depict ONE word: handicapped. But the good news is that planes don't go through turbulence anymore, they go through "unexpected cabin movement." On a few airlines I've noticed their airsick bags are labeled "Motion Discomfort Bags." And the flight crew loves to refer to your seat as "your immediate seating area." I suspect they do that to psychologically make these narrow airline seats seem larger than they really are.

It's also pretty funny that the name for the airplane's waitstaff has evolved from "hostess" to "stewardess" to "flight attendant" to now, in some recent flights, "flight service coordinators." More and more important-sounding titles for the exact same job for the exact same pay. Apparently they didn't learn their lesson from Shakespeare's "a rose by any other name" saying. Even when demonstrating the emergency protocols, the "flight service coordinators" can't simply use the term hull breach; instead it's "a sudden change in cabin pressure."

And regardless of make/model an airplane is never simply an airplane; it's an "aircraft." Because it sounds more important & advanced than an airplane, doesn't it?

Forum List

Back