Move to Florida For The Weather

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
"I Move to Florida For The Weather." I got that answer so many times, as I was told (in Central Florida) "Don't sit on the lawn/in the yard -- red ants." "Don't fall asleep on back screened in patio -- gators attracted by the pets." "It's too hot out." "If you're cold, put on a sweater, we like air conditioning down here."

Now they get more and more of this:

Heavy Rain Causes Devastating Flooding in Florida​

The deluge, which began Tuesday afternoon, dumped more than 10 inches in some areas, forecasters said.

Several communities in southern Florida were inundated Wednesday by “life-threatening” flooding as heavy rains closed major roads, stranded vehicles and submerged streets, homes and parking lots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida declared a state of emergency in several (5) Florida counties including Broward, Collier, Lee, Miami-Dade and Sarasota. Flash flooding in major urban areas from Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami left residents wading thorough knee-deep waters, and authorities warned people to stay off the roads.

The severe weather, which began Tuesday, was expected to continue bringing excessive rain to parts of the state into Thursday and Friday, according to the National Weather Service

To which I say "Lovely. Just lovely." "Enjoy the weather."

Fla weather 5.0.png

Fla weather 1.0.png

Fla weather 2.0.png

Fla weather 3.0.png

Fla weather 4.0.png

I remember the summer we visited some relatives in Davenport, Florida, off the Ronald Regan Highway, and we got hammered by two of four hard hurricanes that year, had to kill a gator that chased my dog, and could not tolerate the gumbo. Other than that, it was great.

Of course, Orange and Newton counties in East Texas have stories that will get you.

"I Move to Florida For The Weather." I got that answer so many times, as I was told (in Central Florida) "Don't sit on the lawn/in the yard -- red ants." "Don't fall asleep on back screened in patio -- gators attracted by the pets." "It's too hot out." "If you're cold, put on a sweater, we like air conditioning down here."

The deluge, which began Tuesday afternoon, dumped more than 10 inches in some areas, forecasters said.

Several communities in southern Florida were inundated Wednesday by “life-threatening” flooding as heavy rains closed major roads, stranded vehicles and submerged streets, homes and parking lots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida declared a state of emergency in several (5) Florida counties including Broward, Collier, Lee, Miami-Dade and Sarasota. Flash flooding in major urban areas from Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami left residents wading thorough knee-deep waters, and authorities warned people to stay off the roads.

The severe weather, which began Tuesday, was expected to continue bringing excessive rain to parts of the state into Thursday and Friday, according to the National Weather Service

View attachment 961957

View attachment 961958

View attachment 961959

View attachment 961960

View attachment 961961
thoughts-and-prayers-v0-0uwbgbmu0j6d1.jpeg

View attachment 961957

View attachment 961958

View attachment 961959

View attachment 961960

View attachment 961961
LOL, I spent a few mid-May days in N. FL and Tampa area. Sunshine state my ass. After visiting 35 states in 35 days, the worst weather and traffic was undoubtedly in FL

clip:

Every Single Florida House Republican Voted Against Disaster Relief Funding​

“That is a level of callous indifference and political opportunism that boggles the mind,” one Florida Democrat said.

BySharon Zhang, October 3, 2022

Just days after Category 4 Hurricane Ian devastated Florida, killing at least 88 people and leveling and flooding thousands of buildings, nearly every Florida Republican in U.S. Congress voted against a bill containing billions in funding for disaster relief that officials could have accessed to begin recovery after the storm.

Last week, Congress passed a stopgap government funding bill that contained $18.8 billion in Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds to account for climate crisis-fueled, worsening natural disasters that Florida officials could use to speed recovery from Ian, according to the Daily Beast. The bill provided FEMA with a year’s worth of disaster funds, rather than just the next few months’ worth.

The bill passed despite widespread opposition from Republicans and the Floridians in the caucus. All 16 Republican House representatives from the state voted against the bill on Friday, including the two Republicans who represent constituents in Lee County, where much of the hurricane’s destruction was felt. In all, 201 Republicans voted against the bill to keep the government funded through December, while only 10 voted for it.

I remember the summer we visited some relatives in Davenport, Florida, off the Ronald Regan Highway, and we got hammered by two of four hard hurricanes that year, had to kill a gator that chased my dog, and could not tolerate the gumbo. Other than that, it was great.

Of course, Orange and Newton counties in East Texas have stories that will get you.

2 things are wrong with it, humidity and New Yorkers. I worked my way through College down cutting grass on a Golf Course. Ugh, got caught in a Fairway by lightening, it was like going to ground in an artillery barrage.

more

The rhythms of South Florida’s rainy season used to be somewhat predictable, with hot, humid days leading to midafternoon thunderstorms and then clear skies. Sometimes a downpour would ruin the evening commute; sometimes it would start and end in the few minutes it took to leave your desk and walk to the car.

Those days feel increasingly rare.

Heavy rain from a line of storms has deluged the southern tip of the Florida peninsula for several days this week, causing widespread flooding that killed at least two people, overwhelmed roads, crippled vehicles and disrupted life in one of the nation’s busier metropolitan regions. The pounding rain came weeks after the region experienced a stretch of rainless days that were extremely hot, with the heat index last month reaching a record high of 112 degrees.

Florida’s sticky, bug-ridden storm season has always been more about endurance than enjoyment, even for those who savor the relative quiet. But staggering from oppressive heat to oppressive rain has robbed residents and businesses of a sense of routine that at least made this time of year a little more manageable.

LOL, I spent a few mid-May days in N. FL and Tampa area. Sunshine state my ass. After visiting 35 states in 35 days, the worst weather and traffic was undoubtedly in FL
I've been Florida quite a few times, each time for two weeks. Driving is so much easier over there, it's a rat race in the UK. The best part of a Florida down pour is getting to stand out in it, it's like having a warm shower. At the moment, average temp here is 17c (62f) and that feels warm, t-shirt weather is 11c (52f), and that's our summer. So give me Florida's weather and roads anyday of the week.

I've been Florida quite a few times, each time for two weeks. Driving is so much easier over there, it's a rat race in the UK. The best part of a Florida down pour is getting to stand out in it, it's like having a warm shower. At the moment, average temp here is 17c (62f) and that feels warm, t-shirt weather is 11c (52f), and that's our summer. So give me Florida's weather and roads anyday of the week.

I could tell a similar story ... except you get more violent weather in the UK than we get here in The West ... we never get hurricanes, blizzards and tornadoes are few and far between ... just fog and rain all day long every day ... just like merry ol' England ... I can't remember the last freeze we've had ...

We do get a bit of what we call a "stone wind" ... stones the size of houses flying at 700 mph at 800ºC ... what the eggheads call "pyroclastic flows" ... enough to ruin your day ...

The 9.8 M earthquake we're expecting any second might change my mind ... and if we start to see millions of cubic miles of flood basalts again, I'll move ...

Forum List

Back