Muslim Attitudes Towards Terror

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Every person that believes terror is a solution is one person too many.

Unfortunately, there are people in every country on earth who believe that violence against civilian target is justified, even as they rush to condemn violence against their own people.

To quote the study, "the survey finds that terrorism is not a monolithic concept–support for terrorist activity depends importantly on its type and on the location in which it occurs." This study is quite old (2006) with some field work done as far back as 2004. Thus, attitudes will have changed depending on local issues, e.g. the figures for Jordan here are terrible, but perhaps reflect the spillover from Iraq at that time. I've also included some data from 2013.

While there is a massive difference in attitudes between Indonesia and, say, Saudi Arabia, what this study does establish, is that MOST Muslims ARE Moderate.

It is worth keeping in mind that similar research conducted globaly shows some support for violence against civilian targets in all parts of the world, particularly in South America.

Gallup conducted tens of thousands of hour-long, face-to-face interviews with residents of more than 35 predominantly Muslim countries between 2001 and 2007. It found that – contrary to the prevailing perception in the west that the actions of al-Qaeda enjoy wide support in the Muslim world – more than 90% of respondents condemned the killing of non-combatants on religious and humanitarian grounds.

A few highlights from the Pew Research:

Is violence against civilian targets justified?

Indonesia: Never justified: 66% Rarely justified: 18% (84% moderate)

Morocco: Never: 79% Rarely: 5% (84% moderate)

Turkey: Never 66% Rarely 6% (72%)

Pakistan: Never: 46% Rarely: 19% (65%)

Jordan: 11% Rarely 31% (42%)

Russian Muslims (2013) Never: 86% Rarely 4% (90%)

Kazakhstan (2013) Never: 92% Rarely 2% (94%)

North Caucasis Never 93% Rarely 2% (95%)

Where Terrorism Finds Support in the Muslim World | Pew Global Attitudes Project

Most Muslims in Region Reject Violence Against Civilians - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Last edited:

Unfortunately, there are people in every country on earth who believe that violence against civilian target is justified, even as they rush to condemn violence against their own people.

To quote the study, "the survey finds that terrorism is not a monolithic concept–support for terrorist activity depends importantly on its type and on the location in which it occurs." This study is quite old (2006) with some field work done as far back as 2004. Thus, attitudes will have changed depending on local issues, e.g. the figures for Jordan here are terrible, but perhaps reflect the spillover from Iraq at that time. I've also included some data from 2013.

While there is a massive difference in attitudes between Indonesia and, say, Saudi Arabia, what this study does establish, is that MOST Muslims ARE Moderate.

It is worth keeping in mind that similar research conducted globaly shows some support for violence against civilian targets in all parts of the world, particularly in South America.

Gallup conducted tens of thousands of hour-long, face-to-face interviews with residents of more than 35 predominantly Muslim countries between 2001 and 2007. It found that – contrary to the prevailing perception in the west that the actions of al-Qaeda enjoy wide support in the Muslim world – more than 90% of respondents condemned the killing of non-combatants on religious and humanitarian grounds.

Where Terrorism Finds Support in the Muslim World | Pew Global Attitudes Project

Most Muslims in Region Reject Violence Against Civilians - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
great !! only about 200 million of them want to kill our children ..............:doubt:

Yidnar -

The good news is that for every Muslim who may think it is ok to attack civilians, there are 8 or 9 who think that he is wrong. What we have seen in countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and Senegal is an increasing trend of those 8 or 9 people being able to shut up the nutcase in their midst.

Yidnar -

The good news is that for every Muslim who may think it is ok to attack civilians, there are 8 or 9 who think that he is wrong. What we have seen in countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and Senegal is an increasing trend of those 8 or 9 people being able to shut up the nutcase in their midst.

Saigon where do you think the radicals get their money ?? and do you honestly believe that every Muslim they questioned told the truth ??

Those are extremely disturbing numbers. It's a bit like taking solace in a polls that show "most" whites in liberal states are against the reinstitution of slavery.

Saigon where do you think the radicals get their money ?? and do you honestly believe that every Muslim they questioned told the truth ??

There is a lot of money in opium/heroin, oil and cross-border trade and terrorists have plenty of stake in each. If the west could end the heroin trade, the Taliban would be out of business in a week.

Do people tell the truth in polls....I can't answer that. I tend to think most people do, but I also think attitudes change quite quickly depending on what is happening at the time.

There is a lot of money in opium/heroin, oil and cross-border trade and terrorists have plenty of stake in each. If the west could end the heroin trade, the Taliban would be out of business in a week.

Do people tell the truth in polls....I can't answer that. I tend to think most people do, but I also think attitudes change quite quickly depending on what is happening at the time.
there are a lot of Mosque's in US that are suspected of funding terror !!

Yidnar -

Yes, I'm sure there are - and in Europe, too. Just as during the Irish conflict, much of the money used to buy arms came from Irish people in the US. That is something that needs to be worked on, I think.

The problem is that people in the West don't need to see the bloody results on their donations up close, and don't necessarily even understand what they are funding.

great !! only about 200 million of them want to kill our children ..............:doubt:

If you knew my kids you would understand. My parenting theory is that when children are 8 years old, they should be left out in the woods with a Swiss Army knife and a peanut butter sandwich. I did that with all my kids except for my son, Billy. I really loved that little tyke, so i put a dollop of grape jelly on his peanut butter sandwich. JOKING !!!!

What you say is frightening, and frankly I don't know how to stop the threat. Unfortunately when people tolerate or merely ignore a threat the time will inevitably come when control is lost and everyone is at the mercy of those who wish us harm.

Yidnar -

Yes, I'm sure there are - and in Europe, too. Just as during the Irish conflict, much of the money used to buy arms came from Irish people in the US. That is something that needs to be worked on, I think.

The problem is that people in the West don't need to see the bloody results on their donations up close, and don't necessarily even understand what they are funding.

the IRA was not at war with every nation on earth . this is a whole different animal !! an animal that would love to destroy western civilization !!

Yidnar -

I disagree. The IRA was planting bombs against civilians targets in England, and was as much a threat to ordinary British people as Al Queda is. The fact that the IRA did not attack American targets hardly makes it ok.

In both cases American citizens played a key role in funding that terror, and that is something all western societies need to address somehow.

Yidnar -

I disagree. The IRA was planting bombs against civilians targets in England, and was as much a threat to ordinary British people as Al Queda is. The fact that the IRA did not attack American targets hardly makes it ok.

In both cases American citizens played a key role in funding that terror, and that is something all western societies need to address somehow.
becoming energy independent would be a major step .

Forum List

Back