Muslim Counterculture Music

Onyx

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2015
I am a fan of punk and hip hop, so I thought it would be interesting to inform you guys of two contemporary Muslim political counterculture genres.

Jihadist Hip Hop, which is an element of "Jihad Cool" subculture. Jihad Cool is basically a fashion associated with the Islamic State and other terrorist groups.

Taqwacore is a form of punk music associated with Islam. Contrary to what you might expect, Taqwacore bands are usually very rebellious and reject many of the fundamentalist elements of the Islamic religion.

Now I suspect to hear some interesting comments from the usual types.

Sounds awfully Western to me.

Punk and Hip Hop are western genres.

That's what I find it so interesting. The L.Jinny guy, otherwise known as Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, was a Brit that went and joined the Islamic State and is even suspected of being Jihadi John.

Fundamentalist terrorists are being homegrown in the West through music, fashion, and media.

I like it. I've heard of this movement and I really believe that is what we need to encourage and support. Find these Muslim rappers and get them whatever resources they need to succeed. Showing young Muslims a different path is a very effective counter terrorism measure. I hope they don't kill him for insulting the Prophet.

I like it. I've heard of this movement and I really believe that is what we need to encourage and support. Find these Muslim rappers and get them whatever resources they need to succeed. Showing young Muslims a different path is a very effective counter terrorism measure. I hope they don't kill him for insulting the Prophet.

The first guy is a member of the Islamic State :lmao:

Unless you were talking about Taqwacore, in which case I like it too.

Forum List

Back