Muslims in America Condemn Extremists and Fear Anew for Their Lives

We are Americans.

We should not tolerate this or excuse it in our country or in our politicians and elected officials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/u...-anew-for-their-lives.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0
In a news conference Friday, lawyers for Mr. Farook’s family cautioned the public against jumping to conclusions about the attackers’ motivations. One lawyer, David Chesley, said the F.B.I.’s claim that Mr. Farook’s wife, Tashfeen Malik, had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State on Facebook was “nebulous” evidence.

“Until there is absolute, clear evidence, every headline doesn’t have to say ‘Muslim massacre’ or ‘Muslim shooters,’ because it’s going to cause intolerance,” Mr. Chesley said.

However, Muslim Americans are now confronting the fact that to many Americans, Mr. Farook and other terrorists do represent Islam — especially since polls show that most Americans know no Muslims and little about Islam.

“My identity and everything that I am becomes erased every time one of these incidents occurs,” said Nabihah Maqbool, 27, a law student at the University of Chicago. “It all becomes collapsed into these senseless acts of violence being committed by people who are part of my group.”

Like many other Muslim American women, Ms. Maqbool said that she had considered taking off her hijab, or head scarf, out of fear of being victimized. She said that driving back to Chicago after celebrating Thanksgiving with her family, she had decided not to stop and pray on the grassy lawn outside an interstate rest stop, as she usually does.

“I just got so nervous that something could happen to me by any unhinged individual who saw me as someone who deserved violence,” Ms. Maqbool said.

The F.B.I. said it did not yet have data for hate crimes in 2015, and would not comment on whether there had recently been a rise in attacks on Muslims and their houses of worship. A chart provided by Stephen G. Fischer Jr., chief of multimedia productions for the F.B.I.’s criminal justice information service, showed that bias-related hate crimes against Muslims were at a peak in 2001, with 481 reported. In 2014, 154 such crimes were reported.

But in recent weeks, American Muslims have reported a spate of violence and intimidation against them: women wearing head scarves accosted; Muslim children bullied; bullets shot at a mosque in Meriden, Conn.; feces thrown at a mosque in Pflugerville, Tex.

Omair Siddiqi said he had been about to get into his car in the parking lot of a shopping mall in the Dallas suburbs last month when a man came up to him, flashed a gun and said, “If I wanted to, I could kill you right now.”

Mr. Siddiqi said he stayed quiet and the man walked away. Mr. Siddiqi called 911 and is now in the process of getting a concealed-handgun permit. “It’s very scary in times like this,” he said.

In a Dallas suburb, about a dozen protesters congregated outside the Islamic Center of Irving last month, some covering their faces with bandannas and carrying hunting rifles, tactical shotguns and AR-15s. The group that organized the protest posted on Facebook a list of the names and addresses of dozens of Muslims and what they called “Muslim sympathizers.

Khalid Y. Hamideh, a spokesman for the Islamic Association of North Texas and a Dallas lawyer, called the mosque protest “un-American.”

“It would be unfathomable for that to occur outside a church or synagogue,” he said. “At the same time, we’re realists. We understand what’s going on around the country. We thank God for our friends in law enforcement and our interfaith partners.”

If we were in their countries, hundreds, maybe thousands of them would have been killed by now, or burned to death the way they have to Christians in their own countries. The reason they're afraid is because they know how we would be treated in their home countries.

They have reason to be afraid. I think it's healthy.

With a few exceptions, I doubt they have anything to fear......at this time.

If Obama continues down the path he's on....that may change.

Last edited:
You go ahead and grieve for the inconveniences suffered by this Mrs. Nagbool....who is now afraid to get out of her car in Chicago* and pray toward Mecca...like she usually does.

Us Sane Americans will grieve for the dead left behind by Mr. & Mrs. Farook...the murderous Muslims in California..

No more Muslims in America for now....Suspend all immigration...we have quite enough for now, thank you.

*(By the way, I would be afraid to get out of my car at all in most of Chicago.)

How will you stop Converts within our borders?

Once they are here, they are vested with Constitutional Rights which they should be fully accorded. But, the ones squatting in the deserts of Arabia...waiting for the chance to come over and blow up some Americans...Fuck em.

Self-Defense is a priority right for Americans over the crass Democratic strategy of overwelming America with new Democratic voters and welfare recipients...at least some of who would like to kill us.

If you had 50 pieces of candy and one...only one...contained a deadly poison...how many would you feed to your children?

You go ahead and grieve for the inconveniences suffered by this Mrs. Nagbool....who is now afraid to get out of her car in Chicago* and pray toward Mecca...like she usually does.

Us Sane Americans will grieve for the dead left behind by Mr. & Mrs. Farook...the murderous Muslims in California..

No more Muslims in America for now....Suspend all immigration...we have quite enough for now, thank you.

*(By the way, I would be afraid to get out of my car at all in most of Chicago.)

How will you stop Converts within our borders?

Once they are here, they are vested with Constitutional Rights which they should be fully accorded. But, the ones squatting in the deserts of Arabia...waiting for the chance to come over and blow up some Americans...Fuck em.

Self-Defense is a priority right for Americans over the crass Democratic strategy of overwelming America with new Democratic voters and welfare recipients...at least some of who would like to kill us.

If you had 50 pieces of candy and one...only one...contained a deadly poison...how many would you feed to your children?

Too much stupidity!

So using your reasoning then America should stop every Christian too because hey there is a possible chance they could end up be a Colorado shooter that kills innocent people because they disagree with woman right to abort her child.

I mean if you had fifty pieces of candy and one and only one contained a deadly poison how many would you give your kids?

Using your logic or lack of.

We are Americans.

We should not tolerate this or excuse it in our country or in our politicians and elected officials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/u...-anew-for-their-lives.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0
In a news conference Friday, lawyers for Mr. Farook’s family cautioned the public against jumping to conclusions about the attackers’ motivations. One lawyer, David Chesley, said the F.B.I.’s claim that Mr. Farook’s wife, Tashfeen Malik, had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State on Facebook was “nebulous” evidence.

“Until there is absolute, clear evidence, every headline doesn’t have to say ‘Muslim massacre’ or ‘Muslim shooters,’ because it’s going to cause intolerance,” Mr. Chesley said.

However, Muslim Americans are now confronting the fact that to many Americans, Mr. Farook and other terrorists do represent Islam — especially since polls show that most Americans know no Muslims and little about Islam.

“My identity and everything that I am becomes erased every time one of these incidents occurs,” said Nabihah Maqbool, 27, a law student at the University of Chicago. “It all becomes collapsed into these senseless acts of violence being committed by people who are part of my group.”

Like many other Muslim American women, Ms. Maqbool said that she had considered taking off her hijab, or head scarf, out of fear of being victimized. She said that driving back to Chicago after celebrating Thanksgiving with her family, she had decided not to stop and pray on the grassy lawn outside an interstate rest stop, as she usually does.

“I just got so nervous that something could happen to me by any unhinged individual who saw me as someone who deserved violence,” Ms. Maqbool said.

The F.B.I. said it did not yet have data for hate crimes in 2015, and would not comment on whether there had recently been a rise in attacks on Muslims and their houses of worship. A chart provided by Stephen G. Fischer Jr., chief of multimedia productions for the F.B.I.’s criminal justice information service, showed that bias-related hate crimes against Muslims were at a peak in 2001, with 481 reported. In 2014, 154 such crimes were reported.

But in recent weeks, American Muslims have reported a spate of violence and intimidation against them: women wearing head scarves accosted; Muslim children bullied; bullets shot at a mosque in Meriden, Conn.; feces thrown at a mosque in Pflugerville, Tex.

Omair Siddiqi said he had been about to get into his car in the parking lot of a shopping mall in the Dallas suburbs last month when a man came up to him, flashed a gun and said, “If I wanted to, I could kill you right now.”

Mr. Siddiqi said he stayed quiet and the man walked away. Mr. Siddiqi called 911 and is now in the process of getting a concealed-handgun permit. “It’s very scary in times like this,” he said.

In a Dallas suburb, about a dozen protesters congregated outside the Islamic Center of Irving last month, some covering their faces with bandannas and carrying hunting rifles, tactical shotguns and AR-15s. The group that organized the protest posted on Facebook a list of the names and addresses of dozens of Muslims and what they called “Muslim sympathizers.

Khalid Y. Hamideh, a spokesman for the Islamic Association of North Texas and a Dallas lawyer, called the mosque protest “un-American.”

“It would be unfathomable for that to occur outside a church or synagogue,” he said. “At the same time, we’re realists. We understand what’s going on around the country. We thank God for our friends in law enforcement and our interfaith partners.”

Its a damn shame people cant live their lives because of some inbred. backwood. ignorants that are afraid of muslims.

Its a damn shame 14 people in San Bernidino cant live their lives because of some deviated lunatic Muslims who filled them full of bulitts because they are Americans.
Yes it is a shame they were killed. I'm guessing there are more than 14 muslims in the US though. BTW its "bullets" not "bulitts" and one of the shooters was an american.

Spelling Smack is generally considered the last gasp of a lost discussion...not worth a response.

But, that single American who killed all those people (with his lunatic alien wife) was a Muslim before he was an American...they all are Muslims first...and that means they follow the Prophet Mohammad first....before the law of the United States....and unfortunately, Mohammed was a stone cold killer.

We are Americans.

Its a damn shame people cant live their lives because of some inbred. backwood. ignorants that are afraid of muslims.

Its a damn shame 14 people in San Bernidino cant live their lives because of some deviated lunatic Muslims who filled them full of bulitts because they are Americans.
Yes it is a shame they were killed. I'm guessing there are more than 14 muslims in the US though. BTW its "bullets" not "bulitts" and one of the shooters was an american.

Spelling Smack is generally considered the last gasp of a lost discussion...not worth a response.

But, that single American who killed all those people (with his lunatic alien wife) was a Muslim before he was an American...they all are Muslims first...and that means they follow the Prophet Mohammad first....before the law of the United States....and unfortunately, Mohammed was a stone cold killer.

and the planned parenthood terrorist and the murderer of dr tiller and the christian terrorist who bombed the atlanta olympics were christians before they were americans.

your point?

We are Americans.

So was Moses.

Christians but their religion before Country, Laws and Constitution, so why deny Muslims the same right?

This is becoming like the KKK towards Muslims instead of blacks, jews and RC's. I am appalled at some of the stuff I read.

Dearborn has crime of course, they also have a Catholic mayor and no real problems till the Christians go there and try to declare how much better they are.

We are Americans.

How nice, CAIR girl up to her usual propaganda. How about you show all of us the massive, muslim, demonstrations, denouncing islamic terrorism. :eusa_think:

We are Americans.

Another sympathetic voice from a fraud :slap:

This is becoming like the KKK towards Muslims instead of blacks, jews and RC's. I am appalled at some of the stuff I read.

Dearborn has crime of course, they also have a Catholic mayor and no real problems till the Christians go there and try to declare how much better they are.

that's only because you'd prefer it was all directed against jews.

so your protestations are disingenuous.

No I say it like I see it, the Evangelicals and Jews are behind a lot of crap going on in the US.

Here is Israel, wanting a "jewish' country and they are not even Jews. Why not call it a Zionist state since the maj. of their gov are secular and they wanted a secular country, but yet just Jews. Fascist country, just like SA.

I don't like that we are now called a Judeo-Christian country. I mean by now what Jews are 3%, probably more like 10%, and are in all the high places, how did that happen. Same thing happened in Germany and Russia.

This thread is like an insane asylum where the patients have taken over...by which I mean there are a boatload of Muslims posting in it.

And, I for one am glad that you come post your lunacies and fears and whines...and participate in the political discussion of America....instead of putting on a suicide jacket and blowing some folks up, because for example, they let their daughters drive cars and let them vote when they get old enough.

Your post are pure lunacy, the logic of idiots, but at least you're not out killing Americans.

So, there's that.

We are Americans.

You mean those Muslim born Americans who convert to Muslim radical who kill their friends who gave a baby shower in the name of alla muslims? Those grateful ones?

We are Americans.

why i don't believe in broad brushes, it would be nice if, occasionally, your sympathies were with the victims of terror.

These people are victims of terror.

No I say it like I see it, the Evangelicals and Jews are behind a lot of crap going on in the US.

Here is Israel, wanting a "jewish' country and they are not even Jews. Why not call it a Zionist state since the maj. of their gov are secular and they wanted a secular country, but yet just Jews. Fascist country, just like SA.

Oh geez. This topic has NOTHING to do with Israel.

Forum List

Back