Muslims

Video: Cheney continues claims of Saddam-Qaeda connection RAW STORY
Published: Friday April 6, 2007

Print This Email This

Vice President Dick Cheney has continued to claim a link between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein during an interview with radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh, as RAW STORY reported earlier.

"[Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi] went to Baghdad, he took up residence there before we ever launched into Iraq, organized the Al Qaeda operations inside Iraq before we even arrived on the scene," Cheney told Limbaugh. "This is Al Qaeda operating in Iraq. And as I say, they were present before we invaded Iraq."

But according to MSNBC News guest Christopher Preble, director of foreign policy studies at the Cato Institute, the American intelligence community has long concluded that no such link existed.

"The bottom line, and this is something that goes back to the 9/11 commission report and even before the invasion of Iraq, was that the consensus opinion inside the intelligence community was that there was no linkage between, no meaningful linkage between, Iraq and Al Qaeda," said Preble.

The link was NOT to Saddam and 9/11, which I believe is what your point was.

I looked through 3 of your links, no where did I see either Bush or Cheney tie Saddam to 9/11. The only mention I saw to 9/11 was the Commission. Now they spoke of Saddam as dangerous, at the White House link Bush says they work 'in concert', however in context it's in the sense that their end games were similar and complementary-NOT they the 'work together,' certainly no tie to 9/11.

Why do you people do this?

there are the verifiable facts.

They made a false claim over and over again that AQ and Saddam were in cahoots, it was determined false by our own intell people.

AQ did 911 , now just how dishonest can you be?

the link I previously gave to you was, however.

MM, the 'fact' that 70% believe it, doesn't equal the President and Cheney linking Saddam to 9/11. I'm assuming you meant the USA Today piece? Truth is, politicians are more nuanced than even you when it comes to what they say, though Bush certainly could use more lessons:

...The president frequently has called the Iraq war an important centerpiece in the United States' war on terror. But some members of the administration have said recently they don't believe there is a direct link...
That is NOT a link to Saddam and 9/11. Just a statement that War in Iraq is a centerpiece of the War on Terror. Considering it was one of the 3 'axis of evil' no surprise there.

Lets make it easy. you keep claiming your links say something they don't ( ohh by the way, posting and then waiting a couple minutes to claim you won, doesn't work, I don't live on this site) just quote the specific comment or comments that you claim link Saddam Hussein to ( NOT AQ) 9/11. Please ensure that these comments were BEFORE we invaded and are not general claims that Saddam was working with AQ anywhere else or when.

"[Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi] went to Baghdad, he took up residence there before we ever launched into Iraq, organized the Al Qaeda operations inside Iraq before we even arrived on the scene," Cheney told Limbaugh. "This is Al Qaeda operating in Iraq. And as I say, they were present before we invaded Iraq."

Cheney, responding to moderator Gwen Ifill’s first question, said that “concern” about Iraq before the war had “specifically focused” on the fact that Saddam’s regime had been listed for years by the U.S. government as a “state sponsor of terror,” that Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal operated out of Baghdad, that Saddam paid $25,000 to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers and that he had an “established relationship” with Al Qaeda.

The war on terror, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror.

One of the greatest dangers we face is that weapons of mass destruction might be passed to terrorists who would not hesitate to use those weapons. Saddam Hussein has longstanding, direct and continuing ties to terrorist networks. Senior members of Iraqi intelligence and al Qaeda have met at least eight times since the early 1990s. Iraq has sent bomb-making and document forgery experts to work with al Qaeda. Iraq has also provided al Qaeda with chemical and biological weapons training. And an al Qaeda operative was sent to Iraq several times in the late 1990s for help in acquiring poisons and gases.

Your dishonesty is very apparent

I have given you proof of what the American people believed after 911.

I have given you proof of why they believed their president and gov were giving them reason to believe it.

What proof have you people given me that I am mistaken?

None

I have given you proof of what the American people believed after 911.

I have given you proof of why they believed their president and gov were giving them reason to believe it.

What proof have you people given me that I am mistaken?

None
LOL! YOU are the one that printed just what I've been replying to the past 1/2 hour. Same as the USA Today one that MM posted on.

( I am very stupid I guess, please highlight where in the above it says Saddam was responsible or in cahoots with AQ for 9/11)

Cheney, responding to moderator Gwen Ifill’s first question, said that “concern” about Iraq before the war had “specifically focused” on the fact that Saddam’s regime had been listed for years by the U.S. government as a “state sponsor of terror,” that Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal operated out of Baghdad, that Saddam paid $25,000 to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers and that he had an “established relationship” with Al Qaeda.
( and again I am stupid, please highlight the part that LINKS Saddam to 9/11)

The war on terror, you can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror.
(Wait, I am seeing a pattern here, what in this single line says Saddam Hussein had ANYTHING to do with 9/11?)

One of the greatest dangers we face is that weapons of mass destruction might be passed to terrorists who would not hesitate to use those weapons. Saddam Hussein has longstanding, direct and continuing ties to terrorist networks. Senior members of Iraqi intelligence and al Qaeda have met at least eight times since the early 1990s. Iraq has sent bomb-making and document forgery experts to work with al Qaeda. Iraq has also provided al Qaeda with chemical and biological weapons training. And an al Qaeda operative was sent to Iraq several times in the late 1990s for help in acquiring poisons and gases.
( once again, me being a knuckledraggin Neocon stooge, I simply can't find a reference to Saddam and 9/11)

My responses are in your quotes.... the dishonest one would be you, or should I just assume you can't read? Or have a super secret decoder ring none of us have?

Why do you people do this?

there are the verifiable facts.

They made a false claim over and over again that AQ and Saddam were in cahoots, it was determined false by our own intell people.

AQ did 911 , now just how dishonest can you be?

Actually, why do YOU continue to do this?

Your argument is that 70% of the people believed Saddam was tied to 9/11 because of the Bush administration.

You used links that attempt to tie Saddam to al Qaeda as your substantiation. Whether or not Saddam was tied to al Qaeda and/r the Bush administration attempted to make that tie in NO WAY supports your argument that people believed Saddam was tied to 9/11 because of Bush.

So WHO is trying to do WHAT here, and WHO are you calling dishonest? Based on your posts, you're either just THAT dumb, or YOU are the dishonest one.

Choose one.

I cant believe that these people now seem to be asserting AQ had nothing to do with 911?

YOUR dishonesty is as obvious as daylight. 1+1 isn't going to equal 3 no matter how many times you try it.

NONE of this is relevant to ANYONE saying the Bush administration claimed Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11.

And dude, IF the Bush administration claimed Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11, then WHY did we invade Afghanistan because the Taliban refused to turn Osama bin Laden over to the US for materminding 9/11?

The loose ends to your allegations don't even make sense.

Forum List

Back