MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

And who cares if they get raises or not, that's between them and their employers. We're talking about the MINIMUM here, not people who are making slightly more than the new minimum would be.

Of course we are, so people will be happy making minimum wage when they are making 2 bucks over minimum wage now?

That's where your argument goes to hell

If I am making 8 bucks over minimum wage and minimum wage is raised 8 bucks.

I would be making minimum wage.

I don't care if you're happy or not. All I care about is making sure minimum wage is high enough so that one person working full time doesn't qualify for welfare. If that means raising the minimum wage $2 an hour and results in you no longer making $2 an hour more than minimum wage, I do NOT care. I offer you the same advice you offer to those making the current minimum wage. better yourself, make yourself more valuable to your employer.

That's your mistake , thinking my argument is pro helping poor people. My argument is that taking away welfare and making people become worth $2 more an hour so that they are worth the new minimum wage would actually piss those people off. They are happy being low wage earners if they can also get welfare to supplement those wages.

You stupid moron

You can raise minimum wage up to 10 million dollars a year..and they would still qualify for walfare..

It's just a number..

God damn are you stupid..

Funny how it works in every other developed country, brainwashed functional moron...

Trickle up poor..and you know it

Brainwashed GOP idiocy, read something
There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?
On what planet do you have low Republican taxes, except for the rich? Count all taxes and fees and we have basically a flat tax give away to the rich system.

Uhm you fuck , only in Democrat controlled cities do you have high taxes..

The one tax graph you really need to know
And who cares if they get raises or not, that's between them and their employers. We're talking about the MINIMUM here, not people who are making slightly more than the new minimum would be.

Of course we are, so people will be happy making minimum wage when they are making 2 bucks over minimum wage now?

I don't care if you're happy or not. All I care about is making sure minimum wage is high enough so that one person working full time doesn't qualify for welfare. If that means raising the minimum wage $2 an hour and results in you no longer making $2 an hour more than minimum wage, I do NOT care. I offer you the same advice you offer to those making the current minimum wage. better yourself, make yourself more valuable to your employer.

That's your mistake , thinking my argument is pro helping poor people. My argument is that taking away welfare and making people become worth $2 more an hour so that they are worth the new minimum wage would actually piss those people off. They are happy being low wage earners if they can also get welfare to supplement those wages.

You stupid moron

You can raise minimum wage up to 10 million dollars a year..and they would still qualify for walfare..

It's just a number..

Funny how it works in every other developed country, brainwashed functional moron...

Some kind of GOP code? Other developed countries with healthy working classes do just great. We only have a healthy scumbag super-rich class... Great job GOP and silly dupes...

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

On what planet do you have low Republican taxes, except for the rich? Count all taxes and fees and we have basically a flat tax give away to the rich system.

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

Some kind of GOP code? Other developed countries with healthy working classes do just great. We only have a healthy scumbag super-rich class... Great job GOP and silly dupes...

running.gif

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

View attachment 231870
Smarter than your usual crap, super duper...

If raising the minimum wage actually caused unemployment and inflation, if be against it too. But it doesn't.

How do you figure that? Say you raise the M-Wage, do you believe that employers will just eat the higher labor costs? Some might, depending on the location and circumstances. But some won't, or can't, because the business becomes too unprofitable. You get that, right? Profit = revenue - costs, and labor is a cost. So the employer has some choices to make:

1. Raise prices to cover the higher costs of labor. That's called inflation. Anybody want to tell me this doesn't happen? Not always, but it happens. A lot if the market will bear it, IOW will consumers still pay for your product or service. If not, then employers have to move to other options, such as:

2. Sometimes employers will cut the hours each employee works or the benefits received. So, no net loss for the employer, but also no net gain for the employees either.

3. Some employers will reduce the number of employees or automate jobs out of existence. That's called higher unemployment.

4. Some employers will just close up shop and go out of business cuz the profit just isn't worth their time and trouble. That causes higher unemployment too.

So, maybe some of you advocates for the higher M-Wage can explain how and why the above scenarios are wrong. I mean, we're talking basic economics here, it isn't rocket science.

If raising the minimum wage actually caused unemployment and inflation, if be against it too. But it doesn't.

How do you figure that? Say you raise the M-Wage, do you believe that employers will just eat the higher labor costs? Some might, depending on the location and circumstances. But some won't, or can't, because the business becomes too unprofitable. You get that, right? Profit = revenue - costs, and labor is a cost. So the employer has some choices to make:

1. Raise prices to cover the higher costs of labor. That's called inflation. Anybody want to tell me this doesn't happen? Not always, but it happens. A lot if the market will bear it, IOW will consumers still pay for your product or service. If not, then employers have to move to other options, such as:

2. Sometimes employers will cut the hours each employee works or the benefits received. So, no net loss for the employer, but also no net gain for the employees either.

3. Some employers will reduce the number of employees or automate jobs out of existence. That's called higher unemployment.

4. Some employers will just close up shop and go out of business cuz the profit just isn't worth their time and trouble. That causes higher unemployment too.

So, maybe some of you advocates for the higher M-Wage can explain how and why the above scenarios are wrong. I mean, we're talking basic economics here, it isn't rocket science.
Look at every other developed country, all of them have at least $12 minimum wages, and Australia has $19 and New Zealand has $15. They're having a ball, as opposed to 40% of our country living hand-to-mouth... Great job GOP and silly dupes...

Provide evidence that it does. Or stop the lies. Shit.

Oh, was it too hard to explain why you believe that significantly raising the M-Wage doesn't lead to unemployment and inflation? Or because you got nothin'. You were the one running your mouth, back it up dude. You made the statement, not me. I listed some possible outcomes when the M-Wage is raised, how about you quit dodging the issue?

How do you figure that? Say you raise the M-Wage, do you believe that employers will just eat the higher labor costs? Some might, depending on the location and circumstances. But some won't, or can't, because the business becomes too unprofitable. You get that, right?

..... So, maybe some of you advocates for the higher M-Wage can explain how and why the above scenarios are wrong. I mean, we're talking basic economics here, it isn't rocket science.
I think most of them do get it, but the rules of partisan debate forbid them admitting any tradeoffs, any downside, any weakness to their favored policies. And if they're following those "debate" rules, you'll never get an honest answer out of them. They'll dodge, juke, jive and lie their asses off - anything but face reality.

Oh, was it too hard to explain why you believe that significantly raising the M-Wage doesn't lead to unemployment and inflation? Or because you got nothin'. You were the one running your mouth, back it up dude. You made the statement, not me. I listed some possible outcomes when the M-Wage is raised, how about you quit dodging the issue?

There is no evidence to support your claim.

Period.

How do you figure that? Say you raise the M-Wage, do you believe that employers will just eat the higher labor costs? Some might, depending on the location and circumstances. But some won't, or can't, because the business becomes too unprofitable. You get that, right?

..... So, maybe some of you advocates for the higher M-Wage can explain how and why the above scenarios are wrong. I mean, we're talking basic economics here, it isn't rocket science.
I think most of them do get it, but the rules of partisan debate forbid them admitting any tradeoffs, any downside, any weakness to their favored policies. And if they're following those "debate" rules, you'll never get an honest answer out of them. They'll dodge, juke, jive and lie their asses off - anything but face reality.

Moronic argument. Your stated downside is unsubstantiated. You are asking others to make your argument for you.

Paying people enough to live on is a straight up win win for everyone. Long term win for businesses and taxpayers. Income inequality is a loser for everyone.

It is what it is.

You stupid moron

It's just a number..

we raise more tax revenue by simply raising the minimum wage.

the third world is even Cheaper than Red States.

Wages paid are a tax deduction. Payments to employees (salaries, wages, bonuses, and taxable fringe benefits are deductible business expenses. Payments to sole proprietors, partners, and LLC members are not.
Cool. So what is the problem with raising MW if the wages are a tax write off for the business? Everyone keeps saying its an expense the businesses have to eat.

Deduction not write off...similar but definitely not the same.
Whats the difference? Both reduce your taxable income. Matter of fact I use the two interchangeably.
And neither compensates a business owner for increased labor costs. Not even sure why you brought it up. It's irrelevant.
the increased "tax write off" does that.

Christ sake, one more time, it's a deduction not a write off.

Wages paid are a tax deduction. Payments to employees (salaries, wages, bonuses, and taxable fringe benefits are deductible business expenses. Payments to sole proprietors, partners, and LLC members are not.
Cool. So what is the problem with raising MW if the wages are a tax write off for the business? Everyone keeps saying its an expense the businesses have to eat.

Whats the difference? Both reduce your taxable income. Matter of fact I use the two interchangeably.
And neither compensates a business owner for increased labor costs. Not even sure why you brought it up. It's irrelevant.
So you are seriously claiming that if a business owner has to pay say 400k in wages for his employees and gets to write it off thats not compensation? Have you been drug tested recently?

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Do you do your own taxes?

Moronic argument. Your stated downside is unsubstantiated. You are asking others to make your argument for you.

Paying people enough to live on is a straight up win win for everyone. Long term win for businesses and taxpayers. Income inequality is a loser for everyone.

It is what it is.

See what I mean?

There is a significant difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit. They're only getting a deduction.

Plus they're still having to use current cash flow to pay the employees long before any deductions are claimed or realized.

This just isn't a selling point to a business owner. Anyone trying this one would get laughed out of a business owner's office.
You realize that businesses pay their quarterly taxes in advance...right?

Sigh...you realize a tax write off is not the same as a deduction....right?

There is a significant difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit. They're only getting a deduction.

Plus they're still having to use current cash flow to pay the employees long before any deductions are claimed or realized.

This just isn't a selling point to a business owner. Anyone trying this one would get laughed out of a business owner's office.
You realize that businesses pay their quarterly taxes in advance...right?
Yes. I do, and so do my business owner clients. The cash still has to be there. And they're still only getting deductions.

Dang, this is getting painful...LOL.

Forum List

Back