My bitch of a Current event...sigh...

I'm a Connecticut native. I spent a lot of time hunting in Northern NY. It is beautiful, but I vowed when I turned 50, I would never shovel snow again.

Its March 26th and my lawn and the meadow are still covered with snow, no sign of grass in sight, all white, and I have 3 to 4 ft high snow banks along the side of the driveway, and 5 foot snow bank at the end of the driveway...

This Sunday is Palm Sunday and Easter is just a week and a half away....

THIS WAS a heck of a WINTER way up north, on the East coast.... and it is STILL GOING, we are suppose to get some more snow showers in a couple of days....

We are considering moving back home to Florida after this winter, but are reserving this decision until we are in the middle of summer here, when the flowers are blooming in the meadow, with the Deer fawn put there by their mama's, and the grass is green and wild apple trees and wild plum trees have blossomed and the air smells so sweet, and the summer breeze 'feels so fine', and the days are in the high 70's or low 80's with ZIP in humidity, not a cloud in sight, and the sandy and rocky beaches are filled with sea glass that washed up over the winter...and most importantly, the Lobster shacks are opened again...

before we decide to make such a rash move.

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

Well, you're in Maine.....

My house guests went swimming in the Gulf yesterday. They left this morning for Northern NY, about 50 miles from the Canadian border.
I hear it's pretty up there.....
it is....the 1000 Lakes area is very pretty....they even have castles on some of the Islands.....
The Thousand Islands area is gorgeous...we vacationed there as a family fishing event when I was younger....Sunfish and Perch....My older sister caught the biggest fish.... I came in second!!!

I'm a Connecticut native. I spent a lot of time hunting in Northern NY. It is beautiful, but I vowed when I turned 50, I would never shovel snow again.
i hear ya....i was born and raised in Niagara Falls....i went from the freezer to the oven....

Only people enjoying your unfortunate weather more than Southerners are Alaskans. Even the mountain peaks are hardly covered and except for a few shady spots and some icy patches our snow is gone, what little we had to begin with. I know several people already prepping their lawns although the soil is still too frozen for early gardens.

Wait a minute...you have to prep your lawn?
Not me personally, I don't have a lawn. But my buddy has been thatching already, and putting down the stuff that kills of the moss that grows if he lets it.
I have a greenhouse and small garden. As soon as it thaws, I'll be planting potatoes and beets, as well as raising a variety of herbs and some tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Its March 26th and my lawn and the meadow are still covered with snow, no sign of grass in sight, all white, and I have 3 to 4 ft high snow banks along the side of the driveway, and 5 foot snow bank at the end of the driveway...

THIS WAS a heck of a WINTER way up north, on the East coast.... and it is STILL GOING, we are suppose to get some more snow showers in a couple of days....

We are considering moving back home to Florida after this winter, but are reserving this decision until we are in the middle of summer here, when the flowers are blooming in the meadow, with the Deer fawn put there by their mama's, and the grass is green and wild apple trees and wild plum trees have blossomed and the air smells so sweet, and the summer breeze 'feels so fine', and the days are in the high 70's or low 80's with ZIP in humidity, not a cloud in sight, and the sandy and rocky beaches are filled with sea glass that washed up over the winter...and most importantly, the Lobster shacks are opened again...

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

And here I am in alaska with shorts and t-shirt weather. Just a couple of dirty ice patches on the ground. Grass is visible. May as well move up here. You can see snow caped mountains but that's about it.View attachment 38569
Hey, Timothy, greetings from a fellow Alaskan! Where you at, exactly? I work in Anchoragua and have a nice, off-grid place in Willow.

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

And here I am in alaska with shorts and t-shirt weather. Just a couple of dirty ice patches on the ground. Grass is visible. May as well move up here. You can see snow caped mountains but that's about it.View attachment 38569
WOW! From the picture, you are WAY AHEAD OF US on the Thaw/on what we call up here, mud season! We don't even have any ground showing where I live...all snow still...and man oh man are we going to have one heck of a thaw and a lot of mud this year! Then comes the black flies from hell that bite, and THEN it will be picture perfect for about 4-6 months and then we start all over again with winter...
We call that "break up " here. It's dirty but the roads are bare, it's still muddy as well. Usually feb March are pretty bad for snow. Anyway they moved the Iditarod north and we did not have the furrondy dog races through the streets and trails of the city. And my skis did not get used this year. So I was sad! But fishing should be good this year!
Have you noticed the dust storms along the Glenn and Parks? Almost as bad a white-out blizzard.

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

Hey, Timothy, greetings from a fellow Alaskan! Where you at, exactly? I work in Anchoragua and have a nice, off-grid place in Willow.
Hey there! Willow is nice did you see the idirod go through there? Naa my wife was afraid of snow at first so we bought a place in anchorage, I wanted eagle river but she was scared, as soon as I pay this sucker off I am going to move to the outskirts. I want more land for my dogs. I just retired and I am going to start school full time
Soon, so only the wife works right now.

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

Hey there! Willow is nice did you see the idirod go through there? Naa my wife was afraid of snow at first so we bought a place in anchorage, I wanted eagle river but she was scared, as soon as I pay this sucker off I am going to move to the outskirts. I want more land for my dogs. I just retired and I am going to start school full time
Congrats on the retirement! Military? I had a house in ER for almost 18 years before I sold up and bought about 200 acres in Willow. I've been building out-of-pocket since than and have a pretty comfy place up there. I hope someday to capitalize in the Denali view from the property and retire to run my own B&B.
How long have y'all been here? Has the wife acclimated yet?

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

Congrats on the retirement! Military? I had a house in ER for almost 18 years before I sold up and bought about 200 acres in Willow. I've been building out-of-pocket since than and have a pretty comfy place up there. I hope someday to capitalize in the Denali view from the property and retire to run my own B&B.

I got here in 99 but left in 03 moved back in 08 and bought my house. Left in 2012 Lived in the UK for 3 years(it was awesome). But retired and moved back just this year. I eventually want to build my own house as well. So after I graduate and get a job all my funds will go to pay this sucker off. Should be able to do it in 5 years then save for a year and buy some land like you. Anyway redid my floors since I wasn't working hardwood and painted and stuff patched the walls painted and had carpet put in the bedrooms. It's small but cozy and close to the trails. My dogs near moose run trails. And blue ice trails near portage glacier
image.jpg

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

I got here in 99 but left in 03 moved back in 08 and bought my house. Left in 2012 Lived in the UK for 3 years(it was awesome). But retired and moved back just this year. I eventually want to build my own house as well. So after I graduate and get a job all my funds will go to pay this sucker off. Should be able to do it in 5 years then save for a year and buy some land like you. Anyway redid my floors since I wasn't working hardwood and painted and stuff patched the walls painted and had carpet put in the bedrooms. It's small but cozy and close to the trails. My dogs near moose run trails. And blue ice trails near portage glacierView attachment 38608
They are a little older now since that was taken in 2011

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

I got here in 99 but left in 03 moved back in 08 and bought my house. Left in 2012 Lived in the UK for 3 years(it was awesome). But retired and moved back just this year. I eventually want to build my own house as well. So after I graduate and get a job all my funds will go to pay this sucker off. Should be able to do it in 5 years then save for a year and buy some land like you. Anyway redid my floors since I wasn't working hardwood and painted and stuff patched the walls painted and had carpet put in the bedrooms. It's small but cozy and close to the trails. My dogs near moose run trails. And blue ice trails near portage glacierView attachment 38608
Nice! Look like swimmers, your dogs. I have a mini doxie my daughter left me when she left home, and a Great Pyrenees that lives with and guards my goats. The Pyr is amazing, right now, I love to watch the new kids playing on her. Picture a 125 lb white furball with a bunch of baby goats playing king-of-the-dog...

84 here today. Been breaking heat records since January. We didn't even get a winter. My joints are thankful.

2iatl3r.jpg

I didn't like it, myself. I prefer 70 to 75. But no more than that. This is going to be a BAD and HOT summer here. And with the water shortage....BAD fire possibilities.

SPRING fricking FEVER

I've got it BAD!!!

If you hurry, you'll make it in time for the Florida hurricane season.

Forum List

Back