My Heart Goes out to Puerto Rico

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
What an experience and a rude awakening!

A major storm hit us in Maine late Sunday night in to early Monday Morning...it was a Nor'Easter..... basically, our type of hurricane in the north east....

the wind was howling, the rain was coming down like cats and dogs and our house was staying in tact through it all which was a blessing....didn't lose one cedar shake shingle on the roof or the siding!!!

However, by around 8 am we lost our electric, Matt had left for work, about 30 miles from here....and I had no idea on how to start the generator which had not been started since last winter....

We have this doohickey thing that has about 400 watts that you can run to the house with an extension cord from the car outside that plugs in to the lighter in the car...that ran to the house so I was able to run my lap top and the modem and the satellite cable box and the tv and one florescent light....

Matt called about 4 times on his way to work, each time trying a different route to make it there, but kept being stopped by trees and torn down live power lines crossing the road.....he finally just came home! (And I was grateful he came home and made it back home safely)

Then at around 10 am the phone line went down and also our dsl internet...so I was left to running the tv only....and all heck was breaking on the news with Manafort, and Gates and Papagopolus (sp?)....

BUT NO INTERNET to go to USMB! :lol:

Gosh, that was frustrating!!!!!! :eek: Even with the generator now running cuz Matt got it started (finally)

The next day Matt went to work and managed to make it there.....under trees being held up by just power lines that had not collapsed.... :eek:

3 of the 4 gas stations on US1 not too far from here had no power or generator and were closed...the one that was opened had long lines but he managed to get a 5 gallon gas can filled and the van filled with gas which has a huge gas tank compared to the small gas saver car Matt just bought to get back and forth to work...so we could siphon gas from it if needed....

Had a big wheel barrel that was out by the garden area that had filled to the top with water from all the rain that we could get buckets of water to flush the toilets....there is a brook/river nearby so if we ran out of water to flush we could go down there and fill up containers with water....

Matt found out at work, that the electric company had said our area would have electric back by Saturday night, 10 pm....

we got it back yesterday, got our phone back on thursday but NOT the DSL for our internet....and boy oh boy oh boy, did I and Matt really miss the internet!!!!!

It was all an epic journey, only all within the realms of our home! Cooking on sterno cans, extension cords running all over the place, spit baths, generator breaking down during it all and Matt trouble shooting and repairing it.....

So glad the whole event is over with! but NOW I have to get rid of all the junk that's all over the place and try to get this home back to normal!

Nearly 5 days without electricity and internet and phone....

I just can not imagine the holy hell these people who still do not have electricity, 7 weeks after Hurricane Maria are going through in Puerto Rico!!! Dear Lord, please help them!

Last edited:

A major storm hit us in Maine late Sunday night in to early Monday Morning...it was a Nor'Easter..... basically, our type of hurricane in the north east....

the wind was howling, the rain was coming down like cats and dogs and our house was staying in tact through it all which was a blessing....didn't lose one cedar shake shingle on the roof or the siding!!!

However, by around 8 am we lost our electric, Matt had left for work, about 30 miles from here....and I had no idea on how to start the generator which had not been started since last winter....

We have this doohickey thing that has about 400 watts that you can run to the house with an extension cord from the car outside that plugs in to the lighter in the car...that ran to the house so I was able to run my lap top and the modem and the satellite cable box and the tv and one florescent light....

Matt called about 4 times on his way to work, each time trying a different route to make it there, but kept being stopped by trees and torn down live power lines crossing the road.....he finally just came home! (And I was grateful he came home and made it back home safely)

Then at around 10 am the phone line went down and also our dsl internet...so I was left to running the tv only....and all heck was breaking on the news with Manafort, and Gates and Papagopolus (sp?)....

Gosh, that was frustrating!!!!!! :eek: Even with the generator now running cuz Matt got it started (finally)

The next day Matt went to work and managed to make it there.....under trees being held up by just power lines that had not collapsed.... :eek:

3 of the 4 gas stations on US1 not too far from here had no power or generator and were closed...the one that was opened had long lines but he managed to get a 5 gallon gas can filled and the van filled with gas which has a huge gas tank compared to the small gas saver car Matt just bought to get back and forth to work...so we could siphon gas from it if needed....

Had a big wheel barrel that was out by the garden area that had filled to the top with water from all the rain that we could get buckets of water to flush the toilets....there is a brook/river nearby so if we ran out of water to flush we could go down there and fill up containers with water....

Matt found out at work, that the electric company had said our area would have electric back by Saturday night, 10 pm....

we got it back yesterday, got our phone back on thursday but NOT the DSL for our internet....and boy oh boy oh boy, did I and Matt really miss the internet!!!!!

It was all an epic journey, only all within the realms of our home! Cooking on sterno cans, extension cords running all over the place, spit baths, generator breaking down during it all and Matt trouble shooting and repairing it.....

So glad the whole event is over with! but NOW I have to get rid of all the junk that's all over the place and try to get this home back to normal!

I just can not imagine the holy hell these people who still do not have electricity, 7 weeks after Hurricane Maria are going through in Puerto Rico!!! Dear Lord, please help them!
Here Downeast we really dodged a bullet. So sorry for all you neighbors who got slammed. I hear more people lost power than the '98 ice storm. So you now have your Storm Story to tell, Care!

A storm hit Puerto Rico?

-Geaux

I am glad you made it OK, C4A and your family as well.

Sounds like you have an excellent opportunity for a grand bonfire though!

I love bonfires.

:boohoo::boohoo:

(just kidding, glad you came out of it as well as you did.)

Granddaughter decided to come home for a long weekend from the college she is attending in Maine.

had to go way out of the way to find roads that were open.

Here Downeast we really dodged a bullet. So sorry for all you neighbors who got slammed. I hear more people lost power than the '98 ice storm. So you now have your Storm Story to tell, Care!
In my area, covering two towns, there were 5112 homes serviced by Central Power, and 5091 had no power, who knows who the 21 were that actually had electricity????

I am still considered Downeast, only the southern end of it.... you guys up north east are LUCKY! This was one heck of a storm...they say we even lost more trees than during that Epic'98 Ice Storm!

there was an ice storm here about 4 years ago that Matt and I went through where we did not have power for a whole week, in the middle of winter, Christmas week, which was worse than this last time cuz we just were not prepared AT ALL...since then we bought the generator and more extension cords and sterno cans along with keeping the gas grill handy and filled and have a regular old fashioned coffee pot now and just a bunch of other things like a stash of paper plates....and bought a kerosine heater, and have loads of fire wood always for emergency....

We are better prepared now, but it was still just awful!

Last edited:
Yep, they are saying some places won’t have power for at least a year. It has been a really go there in places. It doesn’t help that some govt officials have been hoarding supplies for their friends and family only. If it weren’t for our military, many more would be doing without in places there.

A storm hit Puerto Rico?

-Geaux
:lol::lol:
please allow me to give you a slap upside of the head, cyber style!

oh, that felt good! ty!

I live in hurricane country. Lived through opal/ ten days no electricity. We try to stay prepared with a generator. We are set to cook out doors with a big gas powered Weber grill and a big green egg. We have battery powered lanterns and candles and matches. We always gas up the vehicles and the boat.

....and I had no idea on how to start the generator which had not been started since last winter....

something you and matt may want to do on a nice quiet lazy afternoon or evening...

Have him show you how to start the generator.

The knowledge MIGHT come in useful in the future

Yep, they are saying some places won’t have power for at least a year. It has been a really go there in places. It doesn’t help that some govt officials have been hoarding supplies for their friends and family only. If it weren’t for our military, many more would be doing without in places there.
I lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years when dad was stationed there, as a kid....and the hubby and I have vacationed there a few times since we were married many moons ago....

It's hard to imagine the real devastation that was brought to that Island....so sad....!

A YEAR!?!!!? WOW! that's a long time! There is plenty of sunshine there....can't they give these people some sort of solar panel electricity in the mean time?

In my area, covering two towns, there were 5112 homes serviced by Central Power, and 5091 had no power, who knows who the 21 were that actually had electricity????

I am still considered Downeast, only the southern end of it.... you guys up north east are LUCKY! This was one heck of a storm...they say we even lost more trees than during that Epic'98 Ice Storm!

there was an ice storm here about 4 years ago that Matt and I went through where we did not have power for a whole week, in the middle of winter, Christmas week, which was worse than this last time cuz we just were not prepared AT ALL...since then we bought the generator and more extension cords and sterno cans along with keeping the gas grill handy and filled and have a regular old fashioned coffee pot now and just a bunch of other things like a stash of paper plates....and bought a kerosine heater, and have loads of fire wood always for emergency....

We are better prepared now, but it was still just awful!
If there was a silver lining to the '98 ice storm, it was that people learned to be prepared. We got caught with our pants down in that one. Electric crews were driving to Maine to help restore electricity and were running out of gas on the road because no gas stations had power, even. Hardly anyone had a generator, or if they did it was a tiny one that would run the fridge or the water pump, but not both at the same time.

If you use firewood, you'll be in business for ages. After a big one in New York state, when I was still doing a lot of camping, I could walk down any street and find piles of good maple piled by the sidewalk. Took a lot home and sawed it up for campfires. People were given permission to take it from the state parks, as well. Had to watch for the widow makers, though. You will be hearing the sound of chain saws running every weekend morning for a long time.

I lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years when dad was stationed there, as a kid....and the hubby and I have vacationed there a few times since we were married many moons ago....

It's hard to imagine the real devastation that was brought to that Island....so sad....!

A YEAR!?!!!? WOW! that's a long time! There is plenty of sunshine there....can't they give these people some sort of solar panel electricity in the mean time?
Some are living off diesel generators now, particularly hospitals, grocery stores, municipal buildings, etc. I believe Tesla is working to try to power some hospitals with solar, as well. The west end of the island has been really slow in receiving help. A couple of US rescue groups have gotten shipments in there finally, as others meant for there were confiscated. With help from the groups refusing to be stopped and our military they are now receiving life saving water, medications, generators, food, etc. We worked for days to be able to get planes filled with goods and people to help in there.
A few people died from diabetic shock due to not getting their meds. There are any number of horror stories. Some local politicians did everything they could to block help, for whatever reason. FEMA would get goods in there and some of the local municipalities would keep them from being distributed. After much media attention it is getting better, but still much too slowly.

Unfortunately the truckers union had also called out a quiet strike after Maria and refused to show up so the ports got backed up, also.

The small, mountainous towns have suffered the most.

Forum List

Back