my new baby...

Dude...that'll be a long drive at 50MPH and 5MPG!

yeah... I know it's gonna be slow... 's okay... I'll be in no hurry to get home... I'm gonna be lovin' the drive back...

'n on the highway, I figure I should be able to get at least 15mpg, mebbe even close to 20mpg or better...

What's in it? Stovebolt six? 283? Maybe a 348? :D

straight six... prolly the original stovebolt powerplant... prolly a 216...

thinkin' of droppin' in a 283, or mebbe a 350, once I get her home...

depends on what I can find layin' around...

I sure hope that isn't the truck a guy buried his freshly-murdered estranged wife in 25 years ago. They dug her up 17 years later near Waltham, Wyoming, truck and all, sent him to the slammer, maybe ... :redface:

ummm... no...

actually, the guy that owned it died prematurely at a fairly young age (56)...

and I bought the truck from his widow... who breeds and raises yaks, of all things... :)

Make sure you have this on your MP3 player for the trip! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTC3pGBjs4]The Coasters[/ame]

ummm... I don't have an MP3 player...

truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what an MP3 player is...

gonna fly up to Wyoming in the next few weeks to take possession of her and drive her back to Louisiana...

T2eC16dcE9s4PupBRWJ0Htir60_3_zpsad592d0a.jpg

That's cool... very cool... looks like she might benefit from some new leaf springs though, get her back to OEM height.

Other than that, I'd keep it just the way it is... nice.

Is the bed a lift?

I know what you mean about her lookin' like she might be settin' a bit low...

gonna have a local mechanic shop do a complete exam and fix-up of the undercarriage before I drive her home...

and I do plan to keep her pretty much as is...

and, no, the bed's not a lift... merely a flatbed...

gonna fly up to Wyoming in the next few weeks to take possession of her and drive her back to Louisiana...

All you need now is a boat...you 'n Bubba can go into the shrimpin' bidnis.

Dude...that'll be a long drive at 50MPH and 5MPG!

yeah... I know it's gonna be slow... 's okay... I'll be in no hurry to get home... I'm gonna be lovin' the drive back...

'n on the highway, I figure I should be able to get at least 15mpg, mebbe even close to 20mpg or better...

Could it be a 6-71 Jimmy? No.

That's cool... very cool... looks like she might benefit from some new leaf springs though, get her back to OEM height.

Is the bed a lift?
Looks like the front tires are bigger than OEM. That looks to be a '52 or '53 Chevy 4100...ton and a half...(maybe a 4400...can't read the emblem too well when zoomed in) prolly got 4 speed floor shifter with a Granny gear...and maybe a step-on push button starter next to the accelerator...and vacuum wipers...definitely a straight six and an oil bath air cleaner. Looks to have been well taken care of.

Except for repainting, I wouldn't change a thing.

You make me jealous!...with the long road trip and all...

Last edited:

All you need now is a boat...you 'n Bubba can go into the shrimpin' bidnis.

Could it be a 6-71 Jimmy? No.

Is the bed a lift?
Looks like the front tires are bigger than OEM. That looks to be a '52 or '53 Chevy 4100...ton and a half...(maybe a 4400...can't read the emblem too well when zoomed in) prolly got 4 speed floor shifter with a Granny gear...and maybe a step-on push button starter next to the accelerator...and vacuum wipers...definitely a straight six and an oil bath air cleaner. Looks to have been well taken care of.

Except for repainting, I wouldn't change a thing.

You make me jealous!...with the long road trip and all...

she's a '53 Chevy 4400... 'bout a year younger'n me... :)

'n yeah, she's got a four on the floor... with a two-speed rear end...

'n of course she's got the stomp-on starter... 'n vacuum wipers...

original straight six (prolly a 216) with an oil-bath air cleaner...

all pix indicate no rust or damage to the body...

originally from Montana... went to Wyoming sometime later...

picked her up on eBay for $2800...

spending another $1000 or so with a local mechanic to get her roadworthy... which includes changing her over to a 12-volt system with an alternator...

plus another $2000 or so for new tires...

with air fare to Wyoming, plus motels, meals and gas for the trip back, total cost for my baby, when all is said'n done, will be 'round about $7000...

looks like, after nearly nine months after I bought her, I'm finally gonna fly up 'n get my baby...

sometime in February...

'n yeah, I'm pretty fuckin' excited about it... :)

not planning on repainting her...

I like the paint job just the way it is... I love the gorgeous color 'n way-cool pinstriping... even though the Wyoming climate has obviously taken a toll on the clearcoat...

'n besides, she is, after all, gonna be a work truck...

'n as far as switching out the engine, I'm gonna be in no hurry to do that...

the only reason I might do it is if I find I need more power for the applications I have in mind for her...

Might wanna rethink that...considering typical Wyoming weather in the winter!

thanks, J...

I 'spect you're prolly right about that...

the most severe winter weather I've ever encountered is 'round about mebbe 20 degrees F, with mebbe a few li'l snow flurries...

I have no doubt I'd be complete out of my element trying to drive in the middle of seriously hard winter weather...

completely outside my realm of experience...

think I'll wait 'til March... :)

Looks like what my boys learned to drive in...during wheat harvest, alongside the combine...only they had a bucket on the back.

Looks like what my boys learned to drive in...during wheat harvest, alongside the combine...only they had a bucket on the back.

wow... interesting that you mentioned the bucket...

my plan is to eventually turn her into a bucket truck to do maintenance on parking-lot lighting...

My kids worked harvest long before they were legally able to drive.

My oldest was the grease monkey..he was small enough but capable enough that at about age 9 they could send him up inside the combines to grease whatever it was that needed grease.

We had an old, old Chevy pickup that we named "Whoa Nellie!"

I had vanity plates made. THEY said "Wo Nelie" hahaha.

Forum List

Back