N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare

About half, Flopper. Why?
If the state pays for the program, I would think the state should have the right to establish residency requirements. But if the feds pays half, then I can see why it would end up in court. I didn't read about the case but I would assume the plaintiff is alleging the legal immigrants are being singled out somehow.

Seton Hall Law School's Center for Social Justice filed a class action lawsuit today against New Jersey on behalf of low-income legal immigrants who have been denied state-funded Medicaid health insurance under the FamilyCare program due to recent budget cuts.

New Jersey discontinued Medicaid coverage for nearly 12,000 residents under FamilyCare between April and July because they had not been permanent residents for at least five years, according to the lawsuit.

N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare in budget cuts | NJ.com

Is a five year residency requirement unreasonable? Should "legal immigrants" be afforded all the same benefits as citizens?

They don;t like it? They are free to return to their native shithole.

If the state pays for the program, I would think the state should have the right to establish residency requirements. But if the feds pays half, then I can see why it would end up in court. I didn't read about the case but I would assume the plaintiff is alleging the legal immigrants are being singled out somehow.

John Doe moves here from....Greenland, say. He wants to live here permanently and gets the proper visa to do so. One condition of his visa award is, he must not become a financial burden on the government. Another is, he must not commit a crime. Etc.

John gets in a car crash, is badly injured and will need rehabilitative care for life.

Tell me....should John get to stay or should he humanely be deported to Greenland?

John Doe moves here from....Greenland, say. He wants to live here permanently and gets the proper visa to do so. One condition of his visa award is, he must not become a financial burden on the government. Another is, he must not commit a crime. Etc.

John gets in a car crash, is badly injured and will need rehabilitative care for life.

Tell me....should John get to stay or should he humanely be deported to Greenland?
If the legal immigrant has become a naturalized citizen, then no I don't he should be deported and I doubt if he could be. However if he is here on a vista, I think it should depend on the circumstance. If the person has been living off welfare from day one, I think he should be deported because he is not living up to terms of his admission to the US.

However, we should not expect that every legal immigrant would bring enough money to cover any possible disaster.

For the sake of this argument, John is not a naturalized citizen and was fulfilling his visa obligations until the car crash. Nonetheless, I say deport him.

What say you?

Luissa, why is it unreasonable to require someone seeking a US visa to prove they are financially independent? I could not emigrate to Canada or most other nations unless I proved such a thing. I don't see where the unfairness is.

It didn't they didn't have a job, just that they are low income. I don't any country requires them to be making that much. Most countries only require them to have a job, which it sounds like they did, and to have a certain amount of money. I think in France it something like $1700.

Try it. You go to France and see how much help you get from them as an American. They'll tell you to go home. You will get jack shit from the French. True dat.

Luissa, why is it unreasonable to require someone seeking a US visa to prove they are financially independent? I could not emigrate to Canada or most other nations unless I proved such a thing. I don't see where the unfairness is.

It didn't they didn't have a job, just that they are low income. I don't any country requires them to be making that much. Most countries only require them to have a job, which it sounds like they did, and to have a certain amount of money. I think in France it something like $1700.

Try it. You go to France and see how much help you get from them as an American. They'll tell you to go home. You will get jack shit from the French. True dat.
Unless there has been a change, I think they requires legal residency for 5 years before you can get coverage under their universal coverage system.

When I was there 5 or 6 years ago on vacation, I visited a doctor and had some test. It was quite inexpensive.

Unless there has been a change, I think they requires legal residency for 5 years before you can get coverage under their universal coverage system.

When I was there 5 or 6 years ago on vacation, I visited a doctor and had some test. It was quite inexpensive.

I go to France a lot. I have a lot of French friends.... every one of them bitches about the cost in taxes. Their system is good - but God Almighty, they sure pay A LOT for it. And, everyone also has to have top up private insurance to cover costs that are not covered under their system.

For the sake of this argument, John is not a naturalized citizen and was fulfilling his visa obligations until the car crash. Nonetheless, I say deport him.

What say you?
Unless the person has committed a crime or violated the terms of their visa, they can not be deported. Something that is often missed is that the country receiving the deportee must agree to accept the person. Treaties and agreements cover this but different countries have different rules. Some countries will not accept a deportation of a seriously ill person. Usually a wavier is granted at the deportation hearing. If the person came from one of the many countries that have universal healthcare, the person would probably return home.

If John was the cause of the crash...bye, bye John

If a private citizen was the cause...John gets to stay in a clean and caring rehabilitative center at the cost of the other driver's insurance company.

If a municipal vehicle was the cause of the crash...John stays in the same center at the cost of the governmental body responsible for the vehicle.

Pretty fair all around if you ask me.

Seton Hall Law School's Center for Social Justice filed a class action lawsuit today against New Jersey on behalf of low-income legal immigrants who have been denied state-funded Medicaid health insurance under the FamilyCare program due to recent budget cuts.

New Jersey discontinued Medicaid coverage for nearly 12,000 residents under FamilyCare between April and July because they had not been permanent residents for at least five years, according to the lawsuit.

N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare in budget cuts | NJ.com

Is a five year residency requirement unreasonable? Should "legal immigrants" be afforded all the same benefits as citizens?

of course it is reasonable, and NO we should not have to provide services to illegals.

I go to France a lot. I have a lot of French friends.... every one of them bitches about the cost in taxes. Their system is good - but God Almighty, they sure pay A LOT for it. And, everyone also has to have top up private insurance to cover costs that are not covered under their system.
I have only been to France twice. About 5 or 6 years ago, I was in Lyon and came down with what I thought was the Flu. I asked at a pharmacy where I could find a doctor. They directed me to a doctor about three blocks away. I waited about an hour before I saw the doctor. He didn't know much English, but he didn't need to. He sent me to an ER where I waited a couple of hours to see a doctor. I had a chest X-ray and they drew some blood. Turned out that I had pneumonia. They gave me two prescription which they filled and I was on my way. Being pretty sick, I can't say it was great experience, but the doctors seem very competent. I do remember I had to fill out a lot of paperwork at the ER, but they had some one there who spoke English to helped me out. I charged everything to my Master Card. The whole thing cost less $500.

I have no idea what the French pay for their healthcare system, but it didn't cost me much.

Also, they asked me for the address of my family doctor in the US. They sent him the results of the lab work which was something I didn't expect.

If a private citizen was the cause...John gets to stay in a clean and caring rehabilitative center at the cost of the other driver's insurance company.

If a municipal vehicle was the cause of the crash...John stays in the same center at the cost of the governmental body responsible for the vehicle.

Like I said, I think it should depend on the circumstances.

I have only been to France twice. About 5 or 6 years ago, I was in Lyon and came down with what I thought was the Flu. I asked at a pharmacy where I could find a doctor. They directed me to a doctor about three blocks away. I waited about an hour before I saw the doctor. He didn't know much English, but he didn't need to. He sent me to an ER where I waited a couple of hours to see a doctor. I had a chest X-ray and they drew some blood. Turned out that I had pneumonia. They gave me two prescription which they filled and I was on my way. Being pretty sick, I can't say it was great experience, but the doctors seem very competent. I do remember I had to fill out a lot of paperwork at the ER, but they had some one there who spoke English to helped me out. I charged everything to my Master Card. The whole thing cost less $500.

I have no idea what the French pay for their healthcare system, but it didn't cost me much.

Also, they asked me for the address of my family doctor in the US. They sent him the results of the lab work which was something I didn't expect.

It is, as I said, a really decent system. In fact, being in Europe, I'd rather get sick in France than the UK. I think (and I'm not saying its a fact - but I doubt I'm far out), that the average cost per taxpayer in Europe is around 25% - That is on top of income tax etc - then they also pay a myriad of other taxes.... Europeans are taxed to hell and back generally.

But.... on healthcare... I'd say as a ballpark it's around 25% of your monthly income on healthcare.... In France - the sicker you are, the better your treatment so don't think you can run to the doc with every little ache or pain.

In the UK, certainly where I live, it can take days to get an appointment with my doctor. The surgery is old and run down, they've only just gone computerized... it's a joke. Seriously.

It is, as I said, a really decent system. In fact, being in Europe, I'd rather get sick in France than the UK. I think (and I'm not saying its a fact - but I doubt I'm far out), that the average cost per taxpayer in Europe is around 25% - That is on top of income tax etc - then they also pay a myriad of other taxes.... Europeans are taxed to hell and back generally.

But.... on healthcare... I'd say as a ballpark it's around 25% of your monthly income on healthcare.... In France - the sicker you are, the better your treatment so don't think you can run to the doc with every little ache or pain.

In the UK, certainly where I live, it can take days to get an appointment with my doctor. The surgery is old and run down, they've only just gone computerized... it's a joke. Seriously.
I live in the US. It takes me about a week to 10 days to see my family doctor. If I demand to see some one right away, I see the PA, physician's assist or go to the ER. I'm trying to see a dermatologies now. I called 4 doctors in my healthcare plan. The soonest I can get an appointment is 6 weeks. Healthcare is rationed everywhere. During the healthcare debates, I kept hearing people talk about rationing healthcare. I have had 3 different healthcare plans in last 10 years and have never been able see a doctor in less 3 or 4 days unless it was in the ER.

LEGAL immigrant. And I am glad the US didn't treat out ancestors the way you people want to treat immigrants.

And great job on another thread attacking minorities Chanel. What was the one about yesterday?

Actually, most immigrant groups did have to pay their dues and work their way up the economic ladder. Some suffered terrible exploitation, working in sweatshops, working as indentured servants, suffering second-class status, often because of their national origins or religious affiliation.

I live in the US. It takes me about a week to 10 days to see my family doctor. If I demand to see some one right away, I see the PA, physician's assist or go to the ER. I'm trying to see a dermatologies now. I called 4 doctors in my healthcare plan. The soonest I can get an appointment is 6 weeks. Healthcare is rationed everywhere. During the healthcare debates, I kept hearing people talk about rationing healthcare. I have had 3 different healthcare plans in last 10 years and have never been able see a doctor in less 3 or 4 days unless it was in the ER.

I can usually see my family Doctor the following day if not on occasion the same day. And I have never had to wait longer than 2 days. Even after hours he will return phone calls if it could be an emergency.

Lifetime rehab care costs the earth; most insurance policy limits wouldn't fund 6 months' of care. But you are dodging the issue...should the US care for the sick people of other nations who are here on visas?

I say "no".

Lifetime rehab care costs the earth; most insurance policy limits wouldn't fund 6 months' of care. But you are dodging the issue...should the US care for the sick people of other nations who are here on visas?

I say "no".

Where in my response did I say the US should pay for John's care?

If the citizen's insurance won't pay, he can try a lawsuit. if that doesn't work, too bad, so sad, bye bye John.

The municipal insurance should be able to cover his care. Deep pockets, and all that.

John's fault, well he's on his own from the get-go.

Forum List

Back