N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

She was asked appropriate questions by a cop in an appropriate situation.

She, and you and me, are subject to the law.

"Do you know why I stopped you ?" is not an appropriate question. It is a ploy to get a person to incriminate himself.

The cop had her name and address from her license and registration. The cop knew why he stopped her already or he would not have stopped her at all. He had all the information needed to do his job

Her not answering that one question did not hamper the cop at all in his duties.
Traffic stops are the number one way cops find bigger issues. So asking questions is in the performance of their duties. I don't think you know what their job is. If they ask you if you know why you were stopped you can always say no you don't.

"Do you know why I stopped you ?" is not an appropriate question. It is a ploy to get a person to incriminate himself.

The cop had her name and address from her license and registration. The cop knew why he stopped her already or he would not have stopped her at all. He had all the information needed to do his job

Her not answering that one question did not hamper the cop at all in his duties.
Traffic stops are the number one way cops find bigger issues. So asking questions is in the performance of their duties. I don't think you know what their job is. If they ask you if you know why you were stopped you can always say no you don't.

He can find out everything he needs to know about a person from their license and registration. No one has to answer a question that is designed to get a person to incriminate himself.

He can find out everything he needs to know about a person from their license and registration. No one has to answer a question that is designed to get a person to incriminate himself.
So where's the problem? He doesn't have to incriminate himself. When you decide to get cute and play roadside lawyer it's a cause for suspicion. They will wonder why you've chosen to take the difficult approach.

So where's the problem? He doesn't have to incriminate himself. When you decide to get cute and play roadside lawyer it's a cause for suspicion. They will wonder why you've chosen to take the difficult approach.

It's not any citizen's obligation to make a cop's job easier.
It's the cop that has the legal obligation to tell a person why he is being detained. The citizen does not have an obligation to tell the cop why he thinks he was stopped

The dashboard camera footage shows Stazzone approached the vehicle on the passenger side and asked Musarra for her license, registration and insurance.

"While you're looking for that, do you know why you're being pulled over tonight?" the trooper asked her, according to the tape. She claims she provided the documents but didn't respond.

After asking her several more times, Stazzone walked to the other side of her car, rapping on the window with his flashlight and again demanding a response.

"You're going to be placed under arrest if you don't answer my questions," he told her. Musarra claims the force of the flashlight chipped her window.

The footage shows she eventually told the trooper she was an attorney and that she did not have to answer questions. Stazzone then ordered her out of the vehicle.

As the two troopers cuffed her and walked her toward a troop car, Musarra asked them, "Are you detaining me because I refused to speak?"

"Yeah," Stazzone replied, according to the video. "Yeah, obstruction," Gosa added.

Yeah, another out of court settlement. These idiots arrested an Attorney for exercising her 5th Amendment Right and refusing to speak with them...

WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

It is a common tactic by police....pull you over and expect you to confess to a crime just because they asked

How fast were you going?
Have you been drinking?
Do you have drugs or weapons in the vehicle?

It's the cop that has the legal obligation to tell a person why he is being detained. The citizen does not have an obligation to tell the cop why he thinks he was stopped
I just said he can say no, he doesn't know. What part of that was too complex? No, you have no obligation to make the cop's life any easier and similarly they have no obligation to make yours any easier. Most people have better things to do.

I just said he can say no, he doesn't know. What part of that was too complex? No, you have no obligation to make the cop's life any easier and similarly they have no obligation to make yours any easier. Most people have better things to do.
Or he doesn't have to answer at all.

Like I said the cop already knows why he stopped the guy

Or he doesn't have to answer at all.

Like I said the cop already knows why he stopped the guy
It may be suspicion. Being a suspect isn't a crime. You can clear the air or go downtown. Your call.

You do not have to confess to speeding just because he asked you

Same goes for drinking. Have you been drinking? is just an excuse to give you a breathalyzer if you say yes

The inference is that if you are somehow "honest" with the cop that he will give you a break.

In truth, he will take any information you give him and use it against you.

Last edited:
Any police officer can 'take you downtown' at any time by coming up with a 'probable cause'. But they also know that that type of thing does not hold up in court. Again, if you just say "I am remaining silent without a lawyer present" they have to stop questioning you. When a cop pulls you over they already believe you are guilty of SOMETHING and they are going to either cite you for the offense or arrest you. In either case you do not have to speak and risk incriminating yourself. Your right to not incriminate yourself is already one of your rights. The police reading you your Miranda rights does not then transfer those rights to you. YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM. All Miranda is is a way for the police to remind you of rights you already have.

I talk to the police if pulled over and have no problem with it as most people don't. But you don't have to and in a democracy it is good for people to understand their rights down to the letter and to, now and then, exercise them just like this. We see in many of these police videos that some of the police either don't know what our rights are or they ignore them as they are 'the law and by god you will do everything I tell you to do and not question it'.

If they ask you for registration or ask you to get out of the car, or even arrest you for something you don't think you did then it's best not to resist. Court is the place to fight this battle. Having a phone video of the encounter certainly helps.

Be kind to the police who are doing their job, but don't view them as the Gestapo who can do anything they like to you. It isn't an either/or proposition.

Any police officer can 'take you downtown' at any time by coming up with a 'probable cause'. But they also know that that type of thing does not hold up in court. Again, if you just say "I am remaining silent without a lawyer present" they have to stop questioning you. When a cop pulls you over they already believe you are guilty of SOMETHING and they are going to either cite you for the offense or arrest you. In either case you do not have to speak and risk incriminating yourself. Your right to not incriminate yourself is already one of your rights. The police reading you your Miranda rights does not then transfer those rights to you. YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM. All Miranda is is a way for the police to remind you of rights you already have.

I talk to the police if pulled over and have no problem with it as most people don't. But you don't have to and in a democracy it is good for people to understand their rights down to the letter and to, now and then, exercise them just like this. We see in many of these police videos that some of the police either don't know what our rights are or they ignore them as they are 'the law and by god you will do everything I tell you to do and not question it'.

If they ask you for registration or ask you to get out of the car, or even arrest you for something you don't think you did then it's best not to resist. Court is the place to fight this battle. Having a phone video of the encounter certainly helps.

Be kind to the police who are doing their job, but don't view them as the Gestapo who can do anything they like to you. It isn't an either/or proposition.
Wrong. Cops can also let you go and/or give you a warning. It depends. If you refuse to answer any questions the likely hood of a ticket goes up, it's common sense. It's not illegal to arrest someone if you aren't responding to any questions, I don't know what you mean it won't hold up in court? Yeah sure, whip out the ole cell phone and make good buddies with the police.

People create their own problems.

When a cop pulls you over they already believe you are guilty of SOMETHING

What you think that it is an urban myth of "driving while black"? cops pulling over kids for the heck of it? The most popular car color a cop pulls over is red, do you think that is a myth too?

I love it when I watch "Cops" and some guy gets pulled over for a tail light or some crap. The cop politely asks if he can search the car and the guy says OK. Of course they find guns or drugs and arrest him

Why would anyone consent to a search if they have drugs in the car?

Wrong. Cops can also let you go and/or give you a warning. It depends. If you refuse to answer any questions the likely hood of a ticket goes up, it's common sense. It's not illegal to arrest someone if you aren't responding to any questions, I don't know what you mean it won't hold up in court? Yeah sure, whip out the ole cell phone and make good buddies with the police.

You are one that doesn't know their rights. That's all. Get educated.

You are one that doesn't know their rights. That's all. Get educated.
Look dumbfuck. I didn't say people don't have the right to clam up and be stupid. Educate yourself and learn how to read simple English!

I love it when I watch "Cops" and some guy gets pulled over for a tail light or some crap. The cop politely asks if he can search the car and the guy says OK. Of course they find guns or drugs and arrest him

Why would anyone consent to a search if they have drugs in the car?

They high...

The dashboard camera footage shows Stazzone approached the vehicle on the passenger side and asked Musarra for her license, registration and insurance.

"While you're looking for that, do you know why you're being pulled over tonight?" the trooper asked her, according to the tape. She claims she provided the documents but didn't respond.

After asking her several more times, Stazzone walked to the other side of her car, rapping on the window with his flashlight and again demanding a response.

"You're going to be placed under arrest if you don't answer my questions," he told her. Musarra claims the force of the flashlight chipped her window.

The footage shows she eventually told the trooper she was an attorney and that she did not have to answer questions. Stazzone then ordered her out of the vehicle.

As the two troopers cuffed her and walked her toward a troop car, Musarra asked them, "Are you detaining me because I refused to speak?"

"Yeah," Stazzone replied, according to the video. "Yeah, obstruction," Gosa added.

Yeah, another out of court settlement. These idiots arrested an Attorney for exercising her 5th Amendment Right and refusing to speak with them...

WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

While you are looking for that, do you know why you're being pulled over tonight?

What possible answer is someone supposed to give?

I don't know, was it because I was going 120 mph?
Was it because I ran that red light on second street?
Was it because I robbed that liquor store on Main Street?

Forum List

Back