NAACP endorses gay marriage

"The group of black clergy and civil rights leaders say it is time to turn the tide against the 'hijacking' of the civil rights movement," said Owens, the coalition's elder statesman and organizer, in an earlier interview with CP. Owens is also a veteran of the civil rights movement who marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A 50-year-old can only read about the struggles and protests of the civil rights era, but some of us who are older have the battle scars to prove it. And the rights we fought so hard to acquire did not include same-sex marriage."

This isn't the first time the NAACP has taken a public stance on issues regarding sexual orientation. Over the last couple of years it has spoken out in opposition to California's Proposition 8, the Defense of Marriage Act, which was signed by former President Bill Clinton, and most recently, the successful attempt in North Carolina to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

It is yet unclear how President Obama's support of same-sex marriage will impact the majority of the nation's black voters, but some Democratic pundits are concerned it could decrease turnout in such key states as Ohio and North Carolina.

"I don't know if it will be a 'make-or-break' issue or not," said Owens. "But this is not good for President Obama."

NAACP Endorses Same-Sex Marriage Amid Opposition by Black Pastors
Rights win over religion.

Which is which?...Kind of hard to tell with liberals...Liberalism is a religion to some

Hopefully there is a split in the NAACP; since it is now only a left puppet organization just like the National Organization for women is only a left puppet organization.

You are probably close to accurate- but a number of them won't vote for Obama either- they will just sit home as they have in years past. In essence that is a vote for Romney.

No, they won't. They will vote, not for Romney.

Based on chatter I think you are wrong. "Fast forward four years: While polls suggest America on the whole is moving toward support of same-sex marriage, ABC/Washington Post polling shows 55% of black voters are still against it. That compares to 43% of whites. And this opposition from blacks could hurt the president - particularly in the South. Just this week in North Carolina, blacks voted two-to-one in favor of the constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. North Carolina is a swing state where near-unanimous black support for Mr. Obama secured his 2008 victory. So what if even some black voters in a state like North Carolina choose to sit this election out due to the president's support of same-sex marriage? Groups on both sides of the issue like to compare gay marriage rights to the struggle for civil rights; but many blacks don't like that comparison. And black churches tend to see the issue in religious terms, with ministers playing a big role in the opposition to gay marriage."

You are on a disconnect between your hopes and political reality. Many may dislike Obama's positions on universal marriage, but unitedly they overwhelmingly reject Romney and the GOP.

You're a loon. Sixty five percent of blacks consider gay marriage a bs issue. That's the reality. Just cos you put your finger in your ears and yell nuh-uh; that aint changing.

Thing is. Not one Black will vote for Romney on the basis of this issue.

Not. One.

You are probably close to accurate- but a number of them won't vote for Obama either- they will just sit home as they have in years past. In essence that is a vote for Romney.

I think Romney tried to play the race card last week and that blew up in his face, that ain't going to happen.

Lot's of wishful thinking, really, behind Romney's campaign. Not the least of which is that you can fool enough people into thinking he's a human being.

Other than religous beliefs, why would any sane American give a shit if gays got married?
Seriously, why would any sane American give a shit about gay marriage?
If there ever was a NON ISSUE, it would be queer folk getting married.
Hilarious and so childish any mature adult would oppose such a NON ISSUE.
Grow up Americans. Folk are getting shot in wars over seas and your dumb asses are worried about queer folks getting married.
We have become a nation of VILLAGE IDIOTS.

What a well thought-out argument... :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRQD0tK8h0]Come on... Come on... - YouTube[/ame]

What is your argument Moe?
Please tell us you have more of an argument than a 2 second cartoon.

Trust me, a 2 secon cartoon is an improvement for Punkotard...

? If you are referring to laws that prevented blacks and whites of opposite sex from marrying- that was racial discrimination and it was corrected.

Ok, so you are on board in correcting another discrimination.
Good show!

Being against homosexual marriage is not discrimination- They already have the exact same rights that I do.

Again, it's like saying bans against interracial marriage aren't discrimination, because they have the right to marry their own race.

If you accept that Loving was a correct decision, you have no leg to stand on with Gay Marriage.

No, they won't. They will vote, not for Romney.

Based on chatter I think you are wrong.

"Fast forward four years: While polls suggest America on the whole is moving toward support of same-sex marriage, ABC/Washington Post polling shows 55% of black voters are still against it. That compares to 43% of whites.

And this opposition from blacks could hurt the president - particularly in the South.

Just this week in North Carolina, blacks voted two-to-one in favor of the constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

North Carolina is a swing state where near-unanimous black support for Mr. Obama secured his 2008 victory.

So what if even some black voters in a state like North Carolina choose to sit this election out due to the president's support of same-sex marriage?

Groups on both sides of the issue like to compare gay marriage rights to the struggle for civil rights; but many blacks don't like that comparison. And black churches tend to see the issue in religious terms, with ministers playing a big role in the opposition to gay marriage."

read more

Again, NC was a fluke in 2008. If Romney is basing his whole strategy on NC< he's already lost.

Hopefully there is a split in the NAACP; since it is now only a left puppet organization just like the National Organization for women is only a left puppet organization.

Why would you even care?

Why would I even care about black people? I guess when you're not trying to use them for votes, it's hard for a lib to understand.

Really. So give me a list of all the stuff you've personally done to help black people.

We'll wait.

Why would you even care?

Why would I even care about black people? I guess when you're not trying to use them for votes, it's hard for a lib to understand.

Really. So give me a list of all the stuff you've personally done to help black people.

We'll wait.

What kind of retarded challenge is that. I treat people equally. But if you must know, I've taught and volunteered in the inner cities.

We'll wait.

What kind of retarded challenge is that. I treat people equally. But if you must know, I've taught and volunteered in the inner cities.

Oooh, yeah, I guess that makes you special.

I know how that turned out in front of the 9th (liberal) circuit. A bad ruling is not equal to actual logic.

No, I'm referring to when the argument was tried in interracial marriage bans. Lawmakers argued that such bans we're not unconstitutional because the applied equally to men and women.

It is not the same thing. That was comparing apples to apples. Homosexual marriage compares apples to bananas.

No it's comparing discrimination to discrimination. Keeping gays and lesbians from legally marrying their consenting adult partner of choice is exactly the same as keeping heterosexuals from legally marrying their partner of choice.

You seem to be confusing religious marriage with legal, civil marriage. Those are truly two completely different fruits.

No, I'm referring to when the argument was tried in interracial marriage bans. Lawmakers argued that such bans we're not unconstitutional because the applied equally to men and women.

It is not the same thing. That was comparing apples to apples. Homosexual marriage compares apples to bananas.

No it's comparing discrimination to discrimination. Keeping gays and lesbians from legally marrying their consenting adult partner of choice is exactly the same as keeping heterosexuals from legally marrying their partner of choice.

You seem to be confusing religious marriage with legal, civil marriage. Those are truly two completely different fruits.

No, what you are discussing is a "special" new right. As the law stands now any person of consenting age can marry. Redefining what "marriage" is does not rise to the level of "discrimination" that proponents wish to create as fact, towards those who oppose such a move.

As a matter of religious belief, marriage is considered a rite- not a right. States do not even consider marriage a right, but legal standing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back