name that tree

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Give us a pic of a tree whose name isn't in the url or attachment, and we'll see if we can name it.

IMG_5194-copy-771244.jpg

Try this one, which I call "the worst tree in the world", due to it being invasive and fast growing. Native to China, but it grows all over the US now.

0008442.jpg

Try this one, which I call "the worst tree in the world", due to it being invasive and fast growing. Native to China, but it grows all over the US now.

0008442.jpg

Looks to me like what we call sumac (though I don't know that what we call sumac really is sumac). I know whatever that thing is, I have a dozen around the fringes of my property. I have trouble telling them from pecans when they are smaller, but because people call them sumac, I do not touch them.

It is Ailanthus, or Tree-of-Heaven.

Ailanthus altissima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The leaves do look very similar to Smooth Sumac. Which, by the way, is harmless. Poison Sumac is a swamp plant, with leaflets that are shorter and rounded.

The easiest way to tell sumac from ailanthus is that ailanthus stinks. Crush a leaf, ailanthus has a powerful rotten peanut butter odor. And the ailanthus leaves have smooth edges, while sumac is lightly serrated. And sumac has the red berries in the fall. Sumac is a nice native plant, keep that. If it's ailanthus, kill it, kill it now.

Last edited:
It is Ailanthus, or Tree-of-Heaven.

Ailanthus altissima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The leaves do look very similar to Smooth Sumac. Which, by the way, is harmless. Poison Sumac is a swamp plant, with leaflets that are shorter and rounded.

The easiest way to tell sumac from ailanthus is that ailanthus stinks. Crush a leaf, ailanthus has a powerful rotten peanut butter odor. And the ailanthus leaves have smooth edges, while sumac is lightly serrated. And sumac has the red berries in the fall. Sumac is a nice native plant, keep that. If it's ailanthus, kill it, kill it now.

It is 12:30 at night. I might have to wait until daylight to keep from aggravating the neighbors. I hope civilization does not hang in the balance.

damn it....i suck at this....

please dont guess it fast....making me look even more suckie...but its an easy one...really...grafted....named for a man who entertained british troops

Forum List

Back