Naming Your Child “Jesus”...

From Mexico down....millions of children are named Jesus.

Actually it's not very common in Brazil IIRC. Fatter o mact I've seen a ton of Brazilian names and have yet to see one named Jesus.

ok

not in Brazil.... they speak Portuguese over there....and all that

but
in Latin America south of Mexico and Mexico included....

Jesus is a very popular name

Vastator, Pogo is 100% correct.

Naming babies Jesus is a spanish tradition that spanish America inherited.

You can hardly find a Jesus in Portugal, Brazil, Angola and Mozambique.

Isaiah is a different name-----similar root----but different name

Not really. The earlier Hebrew form was Yeshayahu. Yehoshua is a variation that arose a few hundred years later, and Yeshua later still. They mean God is salvation, or more specifically Yahwah is salvation. The earliest form is often translated in modern English as "Isaiah." They're all the same name for all substantive purposes.

Actually it's not very common in Brazil IIRC. Fatter o mact I've seen a ton of Brazilian names and have yet to see one named Jesus.

ok

but

The Portugese form is Josue. Maybe that's common in Brazil?

Getting back to its usage... I had the opportunity to run this by a Pentecostal last night. He seemed to believe it would be somewhat heretical to name ones child Jesus. He couldn't offer a scripture to support this stance; but rather suggested that it was more a matter of tradition. Hardly the conclusive answer I was looking for...

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
Americans don't want to name their child after a gay guy.

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.

I think it's more about how the name has evolved in different languages.

In the original Hebrew/Aramaic, the name was "Yeshua", which described both Jesus Christ and Joshua, Son of Nun. Both characters had the same name. But when the bible was translated into English, the writers decided that they had to distinguish the two characters. In one book of the New Testament in the King James version, they actually mistranslated it as Joshua when the writer meant Jesus.

Getting back to its usage... I had the opportunity to run this by a Pentecostal last night. He seemed to believe it would be somewhat heretical to name ones child Jesus. He couldn't offer a scripture to support this stance; but rather suggested that it was more a matter of tradition. Hardly the conclusive answer I was looking for...

Well that's your problem. You're looking for a Pentecostal to base their behavior on informed wisdom. They literally babble nonsensical noises and pretend that it's a magical language.

Well that's your problem. You're looking for a Pentecostal to base their behavior on informed wisdom. They literally babble nonsensical noises and pretend that it's a magical language.
How is it a "problem"? Let alone "my problem"? I was simply relating one individual, from one sects perception of the question posed in the OP...

How is it a "problem"? Let alone "my problem"? I was simply relating one individual, from one sects perception of the question posed in the OP...

Well, if you were hoping for a Pentecostal to give you a meaningful answer, then that is a problem. You may as well be asking a horse to translate Chinese.

Ummm but even the many characters making up the myth and image of Jesus were not named Jesus, so the point is mute.
Yeshu (the son of Mary the Harlot of 100bc), Yehuda (the Galilean Herod era Christ), Theudas(the river Jordan Pilate era christ), Benjamin (the Egyptian)were not named Jesus.
Jesusl500.jpg

Well, if you were hoping for a Pentecostal to give you a meaningful answer, then that is a problem. You may as well be asking a horse to translate Chinese.
It was convenient. And it was one of the sects of Christianity that don’t name their children Jesus. Therefore it was perfectly relevant.

It was convenient. And it was one of the sects of Christianity that don’t name their children Jesus. Therefore it was perfectly relevant.

So you're saying that Pentecostals don't use the name Joshua?

No. I didn’t say that. I said “Jesus”. In fact I havent typed the word “Joshua” in this thread even once, till just now... perhaps you had me confused with another poster...?

Joshua is a weeny name.

Joshua is a weeny name.
I thought Dick was a weeny name?

No. I didn’t say that. I said “Jesus”. In fact I havent typed the word “Joshua” in this thread even once, till just now... perhaps you had me confused with another poster...?

As I pointed out already, everything you are saying is based on a false premise. English-usage of the name "Jesus" is basically an artificial construct. It's not an English language name anymore than "Pedro" is an English language name. The individual to whom it refers was not named "Jesus." His name was Yeshua, or possibly Isho, the English form of which is Joshua or Isaiah. The Spanish name Jesús is the Spanish form of Yeshua, and there are languages whose form of the name (whether natively using the Roman alphabet, or converted into it) is also very similar in appearance. Others are not as obviously similar at first glance.

There are plenty of English speaking Christians who name their children after the person Americans often call "Jesus." They simply use the English language forms of his name. Your question is based on ignorance, imagining something to exist that doesn't actually exist. Posing the question to your Pentecostal friend did nothing other than to ask another ignorant person to explain something they know nothing about. Now, a lack of knowledge is nothing to be chastised for, in and of itself. We all have things we're ignorant about. But at this point you seem to be refusing to incorporate the information that addresses your question. That moves you into willful ignorance.

You are stubbornly trying to reach a conclusion somewhere in the ballpark of saying that the name of "Jesus" was so revered across history that its usage was ceased and reserved. But it's an entirely false narrative you've cooked up in your mind.

Last edited:

ok

but

The Portugese form is Josue. Maybe that's common in Brazil?

Never seen it anywhere. It seems to be strictly a Spanish-language thing. The closest name I can think of would be José, but that's "Joseph".

skye - taking strictly the continent of South America, arguably more people in that continent speak Portuguese than speak Spanish. Roughly half and half going by population.

Forum List

Back