Naming Your Child “Jesus”...

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
Americans don't want to name their child after a gay guy.

Then explain Bruce Springstein.
Who's that? :dunno:

I screeching voice that, if you lived around Philadelphia in the 1970s you were forced to listen to on the radio daily.

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.

I screeching voice that, if you lived around Philadelphia in the 1970s you were forced to listen to on the radio daily.
You were listening to the Jewish Bruce Springsteen?

The father and the mother are common names in all latin countries... but the son is definitely a spanish tradition.

So you're saying that Yossef (possibly Yosep) and Maryam (Mariam) are common in all Latin countries? Or did you mean that Jose and Maria are common in Spanish language countries, while Jose/Joseph and Marie are common in French countries, with Iosif and Maria being common in Romanian speaking countries, etc?

Joseph is common in English of course, and its form José in Spanish and Portuguese with variant pronunciations, but it's not very common in France. Another cultural preference, I'd wager because it doesn't sound very sonorously cognate in French.

You were listening to the Jewish Bruce Springsteen?

I just went ahead and spelled his name right for him. It's linguistic; has nothing to do with religions.

We could do a whole 'nother sub-thread on why some people insist on pronouncing stein as if it were spelled "stien", when that pronunciation is impossible in its parent language.

Harvey Weinstein for a prime example --- starts out correctly as "wine" and suddenly in mid-word the same spelling suddenly turns itself inside out. Yet, take the W off and it's back to vowel harmony. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Seems to be a Puritan and/or Germanic idea that it should be specifically avoided. :dunno:

But if that were true, we would not use the names Joshua or Isaiah. Though it may be worth noting that Joshua was mostly confined to Jewish communities until a few hundred years ago. But not exclusively. And even then, it would likely have become the source of condemnation by Christians if there was some positive taboo. While we might explain that away by suggesting Germanic Christians have simply been universally ignorant, that is an extreme hypothesis. I think, at best, we might be able to suggest there could be a relatively new taboo among some portions of American Anglophone Christians. But even still, the nature of taboo necessitates that it be widely known by a society in general. Which would mean that we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

So that brings us back to the premise being altogether flawed in the first place.

The thing people do not get either they miss it on purpose or through ignorance is that the letter J has only really been around since the 16 th century when it was added to the alphabet. Thus there was no “ jESUS “ but there was ESUS the god of the Gauls who was triune in nature and was worshipped by placing a body of a man in a tree and ritually piercing him so the blood would flow to the ground.. Many of the Christian places of worship, holidays etc etc were superimposed on or copied from the Gaulish religion of ESUS thus add a J to the front and walla you have now superimposed your deities name over or in front of the real deity and hidden it in plain sight with none the wiser... This is the tried and true method of covering up in plain site using words instead of Swords..... I would suspect that the reason The name Jesus is so popular in the Spanish areas is because originally the Gauls came from this area and they have continued to carry this name with them wherever they go or live forgetting it was originally ESUS.....

Isaiah is a different name-----similar root----but different name

Not really. The earlier Hebrew form was Yeshayahu. Yehoshua is a variation that arose a few hundred years later, and Yeshua later still. They mean God is salvation, or more specifically Yahwah is salvation. The earliest form is often translated in modern English as "Isaiah." They're all the same name for all substantive purposes.

not exactly. That Yehoshua is a relatively modernizing form of the somewhat older---Hebrew yeshayahu is news to me. Yeshua and YESHU are aramaic derivatives of yehoshua----which is rendered in english----Joshua. I don't know when Yeshayahu shows up FIRST as a kind of origine If you want to render "yahu" as Yahwah----fine with me but I do not
see any real reason to call derivatives of the same roots----the SAME NAMES. Lots of Hebrew/Aramaic names have similar roots

Seems to be a Puritan and/or Germanic idea that it should be specifically avoided. :dunno:

But if that were true, we would not use the names Joshua or Isaiah. Though it may be worth noting that Joshua was mostly confined to Jewish communities until a few hundred years ago. But not exclusively. And even then, it would likely have become the source of condemnation by Christians if there was some positive taboo. While we might explain that away by suggesting Germanic Christians have simply been universally ignorant, that is an extreme hypothesis. I think, at best, we might be able to suggest there could be a relatively new taboo among some portions of American Anglophone Christians. But even still, the nature of taboo necessitates that it be widely known by a society in general. Which would mean that we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

So that brings us back to the premise being altogether flawed in the first place.

But Joshua and Isaiah are not "Jesus". And it takes a leap of thought to move past the simple sound of "Joshua" to its derivation, which is a whole 'nother side of the brain. That's too abstract. You're trying to apply logic to a taboo, which is by definition illogical.

So the taboo is not on the etymology, but on the utterance. And it is very much widely known in the Anglosphere, else we would not be having this discussion. If we were all Brazilians writing in Portuguese it simply wouldn't be a curiosity given no taboo in the culture and simply a preference that Spanish has and Portuguese doesn't.

See my notes on Jesús Alou above, which was the first time many of us saw the name Jesus applied to a living person, and how those Anglophones confronted with the name did handstands to avoid Anglicizing his name when they had no issue Anglicizing other Spanish names.

The father and the mother are common names in all latin countries... but the son is definitely a spanish tradition.

So you're saying that Yossef (possibly Yosep) and Maryam (Mariam) are common in all Latin countries? Or did you mean that Jose and Maria are common in Spanish language countries, while Jose/Joseph and Marie are common in French countries, with Iosif and Maria being common in Romanian speaking countries, etc?

Joseph is common in English of course, and its form José in Spanish and Portuguese with variant pronunciations, but it's not very common in France. Another cultural preference, I'd wager because it doesn't sound very sonorously cognate in French.

Yes, I realize that. But my point is that we cannot say that a certain name is popular (or conversely, uncommon) in a certain population, unless we are going to look to the form of that name that exists for that population. Is Yosep a popular name in Spain? Not in that form, but that language's form is indeed popular. The same logic applies to whether Yeshua/Isho is used by by modern day Christians. We must look for the forms that belong to the relevant languages. In Spanish it's Jesús. In English, it's Joshua or Isaiah.

The thing people do not get either they miss it on purpose or through ignorance is that the letter J has only really been around since the 16 th century when it was added to the alphabet. Thus there was no “ jESUS “ but there was ESUS the god of the Gauls who was triune in nature and was worshipped by placing a body of a man in a tree and ritually piercing him so the blood would flow to the ground.. Many of the Christian places of worship, holidays etc etc were superimposed on or copied from the Gaulish religion of ESUS thus add a J to the front and walla you have now superimposed your deities name over or in front of the real deity and hidden it in plain sight with none the wiser... This is the tried and true method of covering up in plain site using words instead of Swords..... I would suspect that the reason The name Jesus is so popular in the Spanish areas is because originally the Gauls came from this area and they have continued to carry this name with them wherever they go or live forgetting it was originally ESUS.....

You know, you presented good, salient informative points here.

Then you used the word "walla". And there went that. :wtf:

Yes, I realize that. But my point is that we cannot say that a certain name is popular (or conversely, uncommon) in a certain population, unless we are going to look to the form of that name that exists for that population. Is Yosep a popular name in Spain? Not in that form, but that language's form is indeed popular. The same logic applies to whether Yeshua/Isho is used by by modern day Christians. We must look for the forms that belong to the relevant languages. In Spanish it's Jesús. In English, it's Joshua or Isaiah.

You're resisting the fact that for the right hemisphere of the brain -- the one that hears and emotes --- Jesus, Joshua and Isaiah are three different names unrelated to each other. And that hemisphere is where taboos live. They have to, because if they lived in the left they'd be shot down by Logic.

English very definitely distinguishes between Jesus and Joshua. The fact that they have a common derivation is irrelevant to that.

Last edited:
I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus.

Really? You're counting races and religions?

jes-s-navas-football-players-soccer--photo-1
<< Jesús Navas González -- Spanish professional footballer for English club Manchester City

jes-s-franco-writers-photo-1
<< Jesús "Jess" Franco was a Spanish film director, writer, composer, cinematographer and actor.

jesus-montero-baseball-players-photo-1
<< Jesús Montero; catcher and first baseman for the Seattle Mariners

jes-s-ochoa-people-in-film-photo-1
<< Jesús Ochoa, Mexican actor.

jesus-gonzales-u1
<< Jesús González, Mexican-American professional boxer in the Super Middleweight division

So, all Hispanic...

You don't process information well, Slugo.

(Yes, that means you're fucking stupid.)

Not really. The earlier Hebrew form was Yeshayahu. Yehoshua is a variation that arose a few hundred years later, and Yeshua later still. They mean God is salvation, or more specifically Yahwah is salvation. The earliest form is often translated in modern English as "Isaiah." They're all the same name for all substantive purposes.

not exactly. That Yehoshua is a relatively modernizing form of the somewhat older---Hebrew yeshayahu is news to me. Yeshua and YESHU are aramaic derivatives of yehoshua----which is rendered in english----Joshua. I don't know when Yeshayahu shows up FIRST as a kind of origine If you want to render "yahu" as Yahwah----fine with me but I do not
see any real reason to call derivatives of the same roots----the SAME NAMES. Lots of Hebrew/Aramaic names have similar roots

I think if I heard somebody say "Yeshayahu" the proper response would be "gesundheit".

I think if I heard somebody say "Yeshayahu" the proper response would be "gesundheit".

"gesundheit" is a modern form of RAPHAEL

Yes, many Hebrew names have similar roots. The origins of Joseph also include a root for Yahweh. But the complete name has a distinct meaning (God adds to my bounty, or something like that--I don't quite recall).

But Yeshayahu and Yehoshua both have exactly two portions: Yahweh and salvation. They both mean the exact same thing. While it's possible to speculate that Yehoshua arose independently and out of thin air, and that it's a coincidence that Yeshayahu fell out of use by the time Yehoshua sprung up from allegedly nowhere, that would seem to be a far fetched hypothesis. We end up laboring just to avoid the otherwise obvious relationship between the two.

If there was something about either name that imparted some kind of distinctive meaning I would agree that the two were merely shared some common roots. But this is an instance where they share the exact same roots, with the only differences between the two names being temporal and dialectical.

None of us are perfect would you have preferred I used some other word... The thing is advertisers use silly gimmicks to make sure their messages are not forgotten. Have you not considered I may have used a similar method and tonight you might be enjoying yourself having a beer and walla it is gone and you will smile and order another one remembering how good the last one tasted...

None of us are perfect would you have preferred I used some other word... The thing is advertisers use silly gimmicks to make sure their messages are not forgotten. Have you not considered I may have used a similar method and tonight you might be enjoying yourself having a beer and walla it is gone and you will smile and order another one remembering how good the last one tasted...

The word you're looking for is voilà, meaning literally "see there" or "see that" (voir là).

"Walla" is not a word. It's half of the name of a city in Washington which I guarantee you was not named "see there see there". It's ignorant. You just drove in a truckload of salient points and then let the air out of its tires. Where "advertising" and/or "beer" enter the picture, I have no idea.

The word you're looking for is voilà, meaning literally "see there" or "see that" (voir là).

"Walla" is not a word. It's half of the name of a city in Washington which I guarantee you was not named "see there see there". It's ignorant. You just drove in a truckload of salient points and then let the air out of its tires. Where "advertising" and/or "beer" enter the picture, I have no idea.
I beg to differ it has its meaning in Arabic for something like I promise or swear by gd... You are looking at a French interpretation viola which is interesting as JeSuis means I AM in French which is close to JESUS which is claimed as the I AM less the one vowel....See this is the problem different names have different connotations or meanings in different tounges or dialects...I remember years ago when Bob Dole was running for president and people of Persian nationality were worried he would win because his name meant in Persian part of the male anatomy... Thus he would be president P...s in their tongue ... This is why people get confused about the name Jesus because certainly their is no basis for it in Hebrew and yet they are looking for a connecting and are grasping for straws and all they have to do is look in the right direction where it is hidden in plain site for all to see...

Yes, many Hebrew names have similar roots. The origins of Joseph also include a root for Yahweh. But the complete name has a distinct meaning (God adds to my bounty, or something like that--I don't quite recall).

But Yeshayahu and Yehoshua both have exactly two portions: Yahweh and salvation. They both mean the exact same thing. While it's possible to speculate that Yehoshua arose independently and out of thin air, and that it's a coincidence that Yeshayahu fell out of use by the time Yehoshua sprung up from allegedly nowhere, that would seem to be a far fetched hypothesis. We end up laboring just to avoid the otherwise obvious relationship between the two.

If there was something about either name that imparted some kind of distinctive meaning I would agree that the two were merely shared some common roots. But this is an instance where they share the exact same roots, with the only differences between the two names being temporal and dialectical.

yeah? so??? how are these coincidental factoids supposed to be
SIGNIFICANT OF ANYTHING?

Forum List

Back