Naming Your Child “Jesus”...

How is it a "problem"? Let alone "my problem"? I was simply relating one individual, from one sects perception of the question posed in the OP...

Well, if you were hoping for a Pentecostal to give you a meaningful answer, then that is a problem. You may as well be asking a horse to translate Chinese.
It was convenient. And it was one of the sects of Christianity that don’t name their children Jesus. Therefore it was perfectly relevant.

So you're saying that Pentecostals don't use the name Joshua?
No. I didn’t say that. I said “Jesus”. In fact I havent typed the word “Joshua” in this thread even once, till just now... perhaps you had me confused with another poster...?

As I pointed out already, everything you are saying is based on a false premise. English-usage of the name "Jesus" is basically an artificial construct. It's not an English language name anymore than "Pedro" is an English language name. The individual to whom it refers was not named "Jesus." His name was Yeshua, or possibly Isho, the English form of which is Joshua or Isaiah. The Spanish name Jesús is the Spanish form of Yeshua, and there are languages whose form of the name (whether natively using the Roman alphabet, or converted into it) is also very similar in appearance. Others are not as obviously similar at first glance.

There are plenty of English speaking Christians who name their children after the person Americans often call "Jesus." They simply use the English language forms of his name. Your question is based on ignorance, imagining something to exist that doesn't actually exist. Posing the question to your Pentecostal friend did nothing other than to ask another ignorant person to explain something they know nothing about. Now, a lack of knowledge is nothing to be chastised for, in and of itself. We all have things we're ignorant about. But at this point you seem to be refusing to incorporate the information that addresses your question. That moves you into willful ignorance.
I see your quite personally invested in this. No need to get upset... it’s a straight forward question. There are no semantics. English speaking western Protestants, and nonhispanic Catholics do not seem to find naming their child “Jesus” appropriate even thought that is the name of their savior. Instead opting for other variations on the theme. And reserving”Jesus” specifically for their savior. Why?

How is it a "problem"? Let alone "my problem"? I was simply relating one individual, from one sects perception of the question posed in the OP...

Well, if you were hoping for a Pentecostal to give you a meaningful answer, then that is a problem. You may as well be asking a horse to translate Chinese.
It was convenient. And it was one of the sects of Christianity that don’t name their children Jesus. Therefore it was perfectly relevant.

So you're saying that Pentecostals don't use the name Joshua?
No. I didn’t say that. I said “Jesus”. In fact I havent typed the word “Joshua” in this thread even once, till just now... perhaps you had me confused with another poster...?

As I pointed out already, everything you are saying is based on a false premise. English-usage of the name "Jesus" is basically an artificial construct. It's not an English language name anymore than "Pedro" is an English language name. The individual to whom it refers was not named "Jesus." His name was Yeshua, or possibly Isho, the English form of which is Joshua or Isaiah. The Spanish name Jesús is the Spanish form of Yeshua, and there are languages whose form of the name (whether natively using the Roman alphabet, or converted into it) is also very similar in appearance. Others are not as obviously similar at first glance.

There are plenty of English speaking Christians who name their children after the person Americans often call "Jesus." They simply use the English language forms of his name. Your question is based on ignorance, imagining something to exist that doesn't actually exist. Posing the question to your Pentecostal friend did nothing other than to ask another ignorant person to explain something they know nothing about. Now, a lack of knowledge is nothing to be chastised for, in and of itself. We all have things we're ignorant about. But at this point you seem to be refusing to incorporate the information that addresses your question. That moves you into willful ignorance.

You are stubbornly trying to reach a conclusion somewhere in the ballpark of saying that the name of "Jesus" was so revered across history that its usage was ceased and reserved. But it's an entirely false narrative you've cooked up in your mind.
Your claim of my willful ignorance doesn’t explain why their savior isn’t then referred to as “Joshua” or any of the other names you claim equitable to “Jesus”. So the distinction remains. Rather unfortunate you had to post such a vitriolic, long winded post to demonstrate you inability to comprehend the question posed in the OP... But there it is...

Vastator
and nonhispanic Catholics do not seem to find naming their child “Jesus” appropriate
even thought that is the name of their savior.

Your information is in error.

You have an awful lot of "Jesuses" in Spain but not in Portugal, France, Italy and Romania.

As I said, it's a spanish/hispanic thing not a Latin thing

Getting back to its usage... I had the opportunity to run this by a Pentecostal last night. He seemed to believe it would be somewhat heretical to name ones child Jesus. He couldn't offer a scripture to support this stance; but rather suggested that it was more a matter of tradition. Hardly the conclusive answer I was looking for...

Well that's your problem. You're looking for a Pentecostal to base their behavior on informed wisdom. They literally babble nonsensical noises and pretend that it's a magical language.

Well you know why they do that.
It's to prevent anybody else with a rational mind from getting a logical point in edgewise. In effect a safe-space bubble made of babble, yea so they might be spared any threat of sense.

I've got one up the street who preaches from her porch, using the valley as a natural ampitheater. It's bizarro.

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
Americans don't want to name their child after a gay guy.

Then explain Bruce Springstein.

Never seen it anywhere. It seems to be strictly a Spanish-language thing. The closest name I can think of would be José, but that's "Joseph".

Well, there's this guy.

Josué Pesqueira - Wikipedia

The exception that proves the rule.

Interesting last name -- it very nearly means "fisherman".

Well, that is interesting.

I'm not saying that this shows it to be a popular name in Portuguese speaking places. But it does at least show us that the name is in use in Portuguese.

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
Many Arab Muslims also name their children after Jesus. Isa is Arabic for Jesus.

[I see your quite personally invested in this. No need to get upset... it’s a straight forward question. There are no semantics. English speaking western Protestants, and nonhispanic Catholics do not seem to find naming their child “Jesus” appropriate even thought that is the name of their savior. Instead opting for other variations on the theme. And reserving”Jesus” specifically for their savior. Why?

Willfully ignorant it is. You now may be referred to as a fucking idiot, and other insulting terms, you damned moron.

The father and the mother are common names in all latin countries... but the son is definitely a spanish tradition.

What's so damn important about spanish/hispanic people naming their children Jesus, anyway?

This is a microscopic issue that deserves microscopic attention... at best...

Ummm but even the many characters making up the myth and image of Jesus were not named Jesus, so the point is mute.
Yeshu (the son of Mary the Harlot of 100bc), Yehuda (the Galilean Herod era Christ), Theudas(the river Jordan Pilate era christ), Benjamin (the Egyptian)were not named Jesus.
View attachment 201952

I remember Jesús Alou not from the Astros but his earlier career, and what I remember apropos to this thread is that baseball announcers and commentators suddenly went to great lengths to perfect their Spanish pronunciation, taking care to make "Hay-zeus" sound nothing like "Jesus". His brother, who played at the same time, they just called him "Matty" although his given name was Mateo. If another Spanish-culture player ("Latin" is too vague) was named Antonio he became "Tony"; if one was named José he usually stayed José but there was no attempt to purify the vowels. But once Jesús Alou came along it was suddenly all about perfect Spanish diction.

I got the distinct impression that everybody was bending over backward to avoid any semblance of the sound of "Jesus". As if to say, "it's OK, we're not really saying 'Jesus' and besides it's his name, what are we gonna do?". And if Jesús Alou's name came up on the TV screen it was imperative that the announcer would say his name, "Hey Zeus", to discourage the TV audience from jumping up and screaming that they're putting the name of Jesus on TV. :ack-1:

In Catholic school one was commanded to bow one's head upon the utterance of the name Jesus, even if one was not the utterer. It seems to be some kind of Puritan and/or Germanic booga-booga thing that simply doesn't exist in the Spanish world.

Last edited:
[I see your quite personally invested in this. No need to get upset... it’s a straight forward question. There are no semantics. English speaking western Protestants, and nonhispanic Catholics do not seem to find naming their child “Jesus” appropriate even thought that is the name of their savior. Instead opting for other variations on the theme. And reserving”Jesus” specifically for their savior. Why?

Willfully ignorant it is. You now may be referred to as a fucking idiot, and other insulting terms, you damned moron.
That was deep.

What's so damn important about spanish/hispanic people naming their children Jesus, anyway?

It’s just a question.

The father and the mother are common names in all latin countries... but the son is definitely a spanish tradition.

So you're saying that Yossef (possibly Yosep) and Maryam (Mariam) are common in all Latin countries? Or did you mean that Jose and Maria are common in Spanish language countries, while Jose/Joseph and Marie are common in French countries, with Iosif and Maria being common in Romanian speaking countries, etc?

It’s just a question.

It's a perfectly valid question too as a cultural examination. I don't get the hostility here.

To my mind it's less a question of why Spanish culture uses Jesus commonly as a name and more a question of why Anglo culture treats it like a taboo. As mentioned upthread it's also done in, say, Lusophonic culture but it just isn't as popular. I don't think the Lusophonic or Francophone world has any particular taboo. Seems to be a Puritan and/or Germanic idea that it should be specifically avoided. :dunno:

It’s just a question.

It's a perfectly valid question too as a cultural examination. I don't get the hostility here.

To my mind it's less a question of why Spanish culture uses Jesus commonly as a name and more a question of why Anglo culture treats it like a taboo. As mentioned upthread it's also done in, say, Lusophonic culture but it just isn't as popular. I don't think the Lusophonic or Francophone world has any particular taboo. Seems to be a Puritan and/or Germanic thing. :dunno:
I don’t get either. But there it is. Trolling? Carry over anger from other threads? Who knows? But then... Who cares, really?
Back to the subject at hand...

Americans don't want to name their child after a gay guy.

Then explain Bruce Springstein.
Who's that? :dunno:

Spics, beaners and other taco makers look up to whitey's god, and they want their son to be gay like Jesus.

Forum List

Back