Native American Veterans Push For Recognition

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
r-NATIVE-AMERICAN-VETERANS-large570.jpg

Members of the elite Navajo Code Talkers, the famed U.S. Marine unit who delivered unbreakable codes during World War II battles against the Japanese, look on before the start of the annual Veterans Day parade November 11, 2009 in New York City. Thirteen of the 50 or so remaining Code Talkers participated in today's parade for the first time. The nation's largest Veterans Day parade featuring 20,000 participants in New York is celebrating its 90th anniversary. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The Navajo Code Talkers are legendary. Then there was Cpl. Ira Hamilton Hayes, the Pima Indian who became a symbol of courage and patriotism when he and his fellow Marines raised the flag over Iwo Jima in 1945.

Before World War II and in the decades since, tens of thousands of American Indians have enlisted in the Armed Forces to serve their country at a rate much greater than any other ethnicity.

Yet, among all the monuments and statues along the National Mall in Washington, D.C., not one stands in recognition.

More: Native American Veterans Lobby For Memorial On National Mall - By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN

I'm very surprised there is no memorial/monument to their brave and honorable contributions. They deserve recognition!

Members of the elite Navajo Code Talkers, the famed U.S. Marine unit who delivered unbreakable codes during World War II battles against the Japanese, look on before the start of the annual Veterans Day parade November 11, 2009 in New York City. Thirteen of the 50 or so remaining Code Talkers participated in today's parade for the first time. The nation's largest Veterans Day parade featuring 20,000 participants in New York is celebrating its 90th anniversary. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The Navajo Code Talkers are legendary. Then there was Cpl. Ira Hamilton Hayes, the Pima Indian who became a symbol of courage and patriotism when he and his fellow Marines raised the flag over Iwo Jima in 1945.

Before World War II and in the decades since, tens of thousands of American Indians have enlisted in the Armed Forces to serve their country at a rate much greater than any other ethnicity.

Yet, among all the monuments and statues along the National Mall in Washington, D.C., not one stands in recognition.

More: Native American Veterans Lobby For Memorial On National Mall - By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN

I'm very surprised there is no monument to their brave contributions. They deserve recognition!

Oh pinto shit----there ain't a "special" one for swedes either but we ain't bitchin. Quit whining on a sacred day.

I'm very surprised there is no memorial/monument to their brave and honorable contributions. They deserve recognition!

Maybe this could be added onto the wwII Memorial?

Maybe this could be added onto the wwII Memorial?

Possibly, but these warriors deserve recognition.

Ethnicity, race and heritage NEVER entered my mind when remembering our vets.....until now, thanks to shitting bull.

Never miss an opportunity to play a race card huh

You dishonor my people by posting this diatribe, Lakhota. I am a Cherokee. My people served alongside the Navajo code talkers during World War II. Didn't know that did you? In fact the first recorded use of a "code talker" was a Cherokee in the 30th Infantry Division during the Second Battle of Somme in 1918. One of our people attained the rank of Rear Admiral in the Navy, named Joseph J. "Jocko" Clark. So while all the Navajo get the credit, we were the pioneers.

Don't say us Native Americans don't get our due recognition on this day, my ancestors served in that war. We get plenty of recognition.

Last edited:
Wow. I took his post as wanting to honor NA's because he didn't believe they were getting enough credit. To me, I think it nice of him. But maybe y'all know more than I do about motives around here. And no..I had no idea Cherokee were the first code talkers. And that is something I would have never known unless templar mentioned it...due to lahkota trying to show thanks to those he believed were not honored enough.

I will just tippy toe out now.

You dishonor my people by posting this diatribe, Lakhota. I am a Cherokee. My people served alongside the Navajo code talkers during World War II. Didn't know that did you? In fact the first recorded use of a "code talker" was a Cherokee in the 30th Infantry Division during the Second Battle of Somme in 1918. One of our people attained the rank of Rear Admiral in the Navy, named Joseph J. "Jocko" Clark. So while all the Navajo get the credit, we were the pioneers.

Don't say us Native Americans don't get our due recognition on this day, my ancestors served in that war. We get plenty of recognition.

Well, if you get so much recognition - shut the hell up and let those who don't have some.

Are the Cherokee, Comanche, Cheyenne, Osage and Sioux pushing for recognition? Navajo are!

Well, if you get so much recognition - shut the hell up and let those who don't have some.

Are the Cherokee, Comanche, Cheyenne, and Osage pushing for recognition? Navajo are!

Personally, no, we aren't. The Navajo don't need to push for recognition, they have plenty of it.

You say the Navajo don't get enough, heck the Navajo had a travesty of a movie made after them; you know the one with Nicolas Cage? "Windtalkers" I believe they called it. People are lying when we (all of us, all tribes not just mine) aren't properly recognized for our contributions to this nation's past. You are causing division with this post Lakhota (by the way the name is spelled wrong). You are intending to plant racial animosity when there isn't any. Leave us Native Americans out of it.

Pathetic Lakhota, pathetic. I would applaud you for this OP if I didn't think you weren't just trying to troll this board with it.

:eusa_hand:

They were all brothers in arms. The pale skinned men were warriors in their own right, just as ours were. Battle knows no divisions, and battle does not discriminate. I'm also surprised you didn't know of 2LT Billy Walkabout either? One of the more highly decorated Cherokees in the Vietnam war.

How exactly are the Navajo's not getting their dues? The very existence of Memorial Day is to recognize everyone who served and died in any war from 1776 until now. That includes Indians.

CODE TALKERS

Oklahoma Indians have the distinction of being the first American Indian code talkers in both World Wars. Two forms of American Indian Code Talking exist: Type One or intentionally encoded native languages, and Type Two or noncoded native languages. While the former served as a foreign and coded language form usually with organized training, the latter served only as a foreign language and in impromptu situations. Among Oklahoma Indians only the Choctaw in World War I and the Comanche in World War II are known to have served as Type One code talkers.

The first code talkers were a group of Choctaw in the 141st, 142d, and 143d Infantry Regiments of the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division in World War I. During the Meuse-Argonne campaign of 1918 in France, Germans broke Allied communication codes, monitored radio and telephone lines, and captured one of every four runners between companies. Needing a more secure means of communications, an American army officer overheard some Choctaw soldiers conversing in their native language.

More: CODE TALKERS

Are the Cherokee, Comanche, Cheyenne, and Osage pushing for recognition? Navajo are!

Personally, no, we aren't. The Navajo don't need to push for recognition, they have plenty of it.

You say the Navajo don't get enough, heck the Navajo had a travesty of a movie made after them; you know the one with Nicolas Cage? "Windtalkers" I believe they called it. People are lying when we (all of us, all tribes not just mine) aren't properly recognized for our contributions to this nation's past. You are causing division with this post Lakhota (by the way the name is spelled wrong). You are intending to plant racial animosity when there isn't any. Leave us Native Americans out of it.

Pathetic Lakhota, pathetic. I would applaud you for this OP if I didn't think you weren't just trying to troll this board with it.

:eusa_hand:

You really are a dumb shit.

Lakhóta/Dahkóta/Nahkóta (Sioux) Literature

CODE TALKERS

Oklahoma Indians have the distinction of being the first American Indian code talkers in both World Wars. Two forms of American Indian Code Talking exist: Type One or intentionally encoded native languages, and Type Two or noncoded native languages. While the former served as a foreign and coded language form usually with organized training, the latter served only as a foreign language and in impromptu situations. Among Oklahoma Indians only the Choctaw in World War I and the Comanche in World War II are known to have served as Type One code talkers.

The first code talkers were a group of Choctaw in the 141st, 142d, and 143d Infantry Regiments of the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division in World War I. During the Meuse-Argonne campaign of 1918 in France, Germans broke Allied communication codes, monitored radio and telephone lines, and captured one of every four runners between companies. Needing a more secure means of communications, an American army officer overheard some Choctaw soldiers conversing in their native language.

More: CODE TALKERS

The first known use of Native Americans in the American military to transmit messages under fire was a group of Cherokee troops utilized by the American 30th Infantry Division serving alongside the British during the Second Battle of the Somme. According to the Division Signal Officer, this took place in September 1918. Their unit was under British command at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker

Forum List

Back