NBA star explains to women why they don't make as much playing basketball?

I would hope that the women athletes know why they are paid less than men. Women sports in general draws a much smaller audience than male sports, thus much less revenue. Less revenue = less pay. I don't see this changing because men have too much of an athletic advantage over women.

The only real exception in the major sports is probably tennis.

For the minors, it's probably skiing, figure skating, and beach volleyball.

Agree, except for the grunting, women’s tennis is more watchable than men’s.

Women’s gymnastics and figure skating is better than men’s.

Women’s beach volleyball vs men’s?
:boobies:
Oh dear, a gender ignorant Lefty.

This from the same party that wants male athletes to be able to become women and compete with women?

Have you lost your mind? Do you not know from what party you cling?
You demonstrate no knowledge of sports

Draymond has always had a big mouth. He should have just shut up. But he DOES have a point, and so does Megyn Rapino (see her Twitter responses)

DG's point is well taken. The WNBA doesn't come anywhere near the TV ratings (and pre-pandemic crowd sizes) that the men's game has. US women's soccer on the other hand has been outperforming the men's game for several years.

They deserve pay equity - WNBA? Not at this point, but as Megyn points out - For the most part, men control the marketing dollars and growth potential of the game. Obviously this is personal for her. She was engaged to WNBA star Sue Bird last October.

bird-rapinoe.jpg

Revenue outperforming or Performance outperforming?

I would hope that the women athletes know why they are paid less than men. Women sports in general draws a much smaller audience than male sports, thus much less revenue. Less revenue = less pay. I don't see this changing because men have too much of an athletic advantage over women.

Yep - Women's soccer, figure skating, gymnastics and beach volleyball always outperform men's.
There may be reasons for this :)

7fcedf231a0ad9612d9f9f02aec50657.jpg

Last edited:

Oh dear, a gender ignorant Lefty.

This from the same party that wants male athletes to be able to become women and compete with women?

Have you lost your mind? Do you not know from what party you cling?
You demonstrate no knowledge of sports

Hear Hear - Most Trumpublicans HATE sports.

Women Basketball players have the physical ability of a Junior High School boys team.

Not that they are not better, but they lack the upper body strength to shoot above their head. They launch shots from chest level.

It is just not an interesting sport to watch.

So perhaps women need to better use their "assets" to draw more revenue and earn better pay.
I don't know about this. One reason why we are to wear bras may be in order to protect them "assets" that you are speaking of here. If one isn't worn, the basketball won't be the only thing that will be bouncing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if you are a guy, would you be willing to remove your cup if playing without it only meant a better pay check? And yes I am well aware that the additional money would then be there should you need it due to an injury that would happen because of the cup not being there.

So perhaps women need to better use their "assets" to draw more revenue and earn better pay.
I don't know about this. One reason why we are to wear bras may be in order to protect them "assets" that you are speaking of here. If one isn't worn, the basketball won't be the only thing that will be bouncing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if you are a guy, would you be willing to remove your cup if playing without it only meant a better pay check? And yes I am well aware that the additional money would then be there should you need it due to an injury that would happen because of the cup not being there.
I didn't say they should remove their bras. And the post you quoted was made in jest. Of course, to be funny there needs to be an element of truth to it.

And for many sports, the guys don't wear cups.

They don’t make as much because they suck and people won’t pay to see them

Back in the day I played in a very competitive A league for city basketball. Just regular guys who played at the high school or college level. The top teams in that league would have blown any of the WNBA teams out of the gym. And no one in their right mind would have paid a quarter to watch us play.

Women Basketball players have the physical ability of a Junior High School boys team.

Not that they are not better, but they lack the upper body strength to shoot above their head. They launch shots from chest level.

It is just not an interesting sport to watch.

I don't normally watch it, but no middle school boys team could beat an WNBA team.
There are some AMAZING players, but they don't typically play above the rim, so no it's not as entertaining.

WNBA is and has always been struggling, attendance is minuscule at best, corporate sponsorships are negligible, yet in this era of equality and social justice the NBA/WNBA are capable of demonstrating a new level of hypocrisy and are given a pass. Go figure!

Forum List

Back