NC New Welfare Drug Test Law: 1/3rd Tested Positive from Sample.

Should Welfare Applicants be Required to Take a Drug Test?

• Total voters
Of several thousand people who were screened, 89 people took the test and 21 of them tested positive.

Who's the math genius here?
The number should be ZERO....THAT is the point of drug testing. Illegal drugs are illegal.
One does not get to take the taxpayers money and break the law.

One does not get to take logical flying leaps to get to that conclusion either.

They all did free dope? Doubt it!...lol

Cough up receipts that conftirm that 100% Of their welfare check was spent according to the rules. Of there's a difference, that amount will be subtracted from next month's check.

Don't like it? Get off welfare and stop wasting my money.

"I doubt it" is not an argument.
You lose.

Prove it. Let's see a link supporting your argument. Drugs aren't free.

I haven't made the claim of a money chain. *YOU* have. So YOU prove it.

You claimed the drugs weren't purchased. The ball's in your court.

I say cut'em off.

I think he means "purchased by the person who fail the drug test" as in a buddy may have shared the dope with the test subject.
In other words, somebody else could have bought the drugs and shared it with the test subject.

There are several ways to obtain drugs, buying is just one way.

I know what he meant and I don't care how they got the dope.

For the umpteenth time, anyone who doesn't like it can get off welfare.

How many studies would you need in order to drop this bullshit? This has been done......and evaluated....many times. The fact is that there is no benefit to requiring drug testing before approving public assistance. It's a scam.
why are you so sympathetic towards those who use illegal drugs and take our money?
What's in it for you?

I find it strange how both liberals and conservatives can express distrust in government, yet justify government intrusion at the drop of a hat!

There is something odd about drug testing welfare recipients. Especially in the case of dropping them from any assistance if they fail the test.

I wonder if the government will try this with all tax payers. All the government has to do is make an argument you have or about to receive something from the fed and wants to ensure you will not use it for drugs

That's my money. Don't like getting drug tested? Get off welfare and buy dope with your own money.
Careful

The government can make this argument with any of 'its' funds it doles out. Like tax refunds and Social Security.

They've already made that argument with Obamacare.

How many studies would you need in order to drop this bullshit? This has been done......and evaluated....many times. The fact is that there is no benefit to requiring drug testing before approving public assistance. It's a scam.
why are you so sympathetic towards those who use illegal drugs and take our money?
What's in it for you?

Hey, why are you so frothing at the mouth about wanting The State to control personal behavior? What's in it for you?

This motivation seems to all go back to the puritanistic bigotry that jumped up to make cannabis illegal after humans had used it for ten thousand years.

Of several thousand people who were screened, 89 people took the test and 21 of them tested positive.

The number should be ZERO....THAT is the point of drug testing. Illegal drugs are illegal.

Yeah...They do.....What I posted makes perfect sense. You just don't like it.

What's in it for you?

Hey, why are you so frothing at the mouth about wanting The State to control personal behavior? What's in it for you?

This motivation seems to all go back to the puritanistic bigotry that jumped up to make cannabis illegal after humans had used it for ten thousand years.
What is in it for me is that culling people off the system that are using illegal drugs because they are in effect using our money to buy those drugs.
This is not the state controlling personal behavior. This is the state using existing statute to correct a broken system.
BTW, do not go anywhere near the notion of the state vs behavior. You as a liberal have no business going anywhere near that issue because most laws passed by liberals regulate behavior. so stow it.

Yeah...They do.....What I posted makes perfect sense. You just don't like it.

Hey, feel free to take the challenge, since nobody else has been able to do it --- literally nobody.

*HOW* does the presence of some substance, pick your poison, tell you that some amount of money changed hands to put it there?

What's in it for you?

What is in it for me is that culling people off the system that are using illegal drugs because they are in effect using our money to buy those drugs.
This is not the state controlling personal behavior. This is the state using existing statute to correct a broken system.
BTW, do not go anywhere near the notion of the state vs behavior. You as a liberal have no business going anywhere near that issue because most laws passed by liberals regulate behavior. so stow it.

I've already demonstrated that it has to be the State controlling behavior. That's the entire reason I as a Liberal oppose it. And always have.

--- which leaves you in an interesting position as the one supporting that kind of gummint overreach.

Other than pot, drugs will leave your system in 36 hours. You go to apply for welfare. They set up an appointment. You can't stay of the crap for 36 hours? You got a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what about the exception you just stated in your first three words? The OP article never did define what it means by the term "drugs".

Now it gets even murkier. You want the State to regulate personal behavior based on the presence of a substance which could have got there weeks ago, by any number of means that may or may not have included a cash transaction. And you think that's good law.

If you have consumed that much pot that remains in your system that long, you probably have issues.

Doing an illegal activity and expecting others to support you is pretty dishonest.

You are requesting help because you are in need of assistance and yet you have enough for illegal drugs? They are not cheap, they don't get them all for free. You are enabling the user. The state should help them get rehab and then work with them to get their life together.

If drugs didn't hurt anyone but the user, I'd have no issue.

Other than pot, drugs will leave your system in 36 hours. You go to apply for welfare. They set up an appointment. You can't stay of the crap for 36 hours? You got a problem.

So what about the exception you just stated in your first three words? The OP article never did define what it means by the term "drugs".

Now it gets even murkier. You want the State to regulate personal behavior based on the presence of a substance which could have got there weeks ago, by any number of means that may or may not have included a cash transaction. And you think that's good law.

If you have consumed that much pot that remains in your system that long, you probably have issues.

Doing an illegal activity and expecting others to support you is pretty dishonest.

You are requesting help because you are in need of assistance and yet you have enough for illegal drugs? They are not cheap, they don't get them all for free. You are enabling the user. The state should help them get rehab and then work with them to get their life together.

And once again you're confirming that this amounts to The State regulating private behavior.
You did that yesterday too.

You don't need to get "them all" for free. All you need to do is get the one that shows up for free. That destroys the entire premise. That's why it's bogus. You cannot conclude "substance exists, therefore it was purchased". It's impossible.

If you don't get that simple fact you must be on drugs.

And once again you're confirming that this amounts to The State regulating private behavior.
You did that yesterday too.

You don't need to get "them all" for free. All you need to do is get the one that shows up for free. That destroys the entire premise. That's why it's bogus. You cannot conclude "substance exists, therefore it was purchased". It's impossible.

If you don't get that simple fact you must be on drugs.

I don't care! If you want welfare, stay off drugs, you have a choice be legal or not.

This is not a victimless crime, get them help, get them to realize they need help.

Last edited:
What's in it for you?

A healthier nation. I'm sympathetic to anyone who needs help. Drug testing is not a wise use of public funds. It's been determined to be a waste of money. Unlike you, I believe all Americans to be worthy of a good life....and I believe that humans in general are industrious and will choose to do the right thing if given an actual choice. I don't need a class of people to be superior to....Im not an insecure little shit.

North Carolina begins drug tests for welfare applicants | Myinforms

"State officials presented early results Tuesday of a new law that requires drug tests for welfare applicants. Of several thousand people who were screened, 89 people took the test and 21 of them tested positive.The law requiring testing of any Work First recipient suspected of being a drug user was enacted in 2013 over Gov. Pat McCrory’s veto."
I'm 100% sure somebody else pointed this out, but I just wanted to restate this...OP is a complete idiot.

When has 33.3% ever been equal to 23.6%? He even went out of his way to state the numbers further highlighting his lack of basic mathematical skills. Did this guy even get past 5th grade?

I agree that nobody should get food stamps without drug testing.

(This message brought to you by VH's Substance Abuse Testing, Inc).

You know, I can see people in high stress jobs being drug tested, because they have to remain sharp while they are on the job.

People who are receiving welfare? No. I don't think they need to be tested. Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it.

Besides............of all the people I've ever known who received financial assistance, they were more interested in feeding themselves and keeping a roof over their head rather than taking drugs.

I like this part: "Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it."
The purpose of welfare is to help get people back on their feet. Not to simply subsidize them for sitting on their asses. Doing drugs isn't exactly helpful to the formers ends. 1/3rd of those tested in NC were found to have done drugs. We shouldn't invest in future of those who refuse to invest in their own future. You can't get a job if you fail a drug test. You shouldn't get welfare if you fail a drug test.

Shouldn't anyone who gets ANY form of government assistance be drug tested then?

Government subsidized loans, farm subsidies, etc etc.

You know, I can see people in high stress jobs being drug tested, because they have to remain sharp while they are on the job.

People who are receiving welfare? No. I don't think they need to be tested. Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it.

Besides............of all the people I've ever known who received financial assistance, they were more interested in feeding themselves and keeping a roof over their head rather than taking drugs.

I like this part: "Why? If they aren't working in a job that could be hazardous to the public, there is no need for it."
The purpose of welfare is to help get people back on their feet. Not to simply subsidize them for sitting on their asses. Doing drugs isn't exactly helpful to the formers ends. 1/3rd of those tested in NC were found to have done drugs. We shouldn't invest in future of those who refuse to invest in their own future. You can't get a job if you fail a drug test. You shouldn't get welfare if you fail a drug test.

Shouldn't anyone who gets ANY form of government assistance be drug tested then?

No. We're only picking on people using the government subsidies that we don't approve of.

I've already answered the question explaining how the ends of the program, indeed the behavior the government is trying to sanction, is enhanced by drug testing welfare recipients. The reasoning falls flat for almost every other program whereas government is sanctioning behavior.

Works for me.

Forum List

Back