North Carolina drug testing welfare applicants

They should also test the members of the North Carolina legislature as well. Just b/c you wear a suit or a dress doesn't make living off the taxpayers dime any more noble.

To me that is nothing more than a gotcha moment. People working in the legislature are "working." They are not receiving government benefits designed (theoretically) to get them on their feet and back to being productive members of society. A legislative rep toking up on a camping weekend isn't costing me anything.

To me drug use such as pot isn't my concern, unless I'm paying for your benefits, AND you are not producing anything of value. THEN it's my concern because if you have time $$ for drugs, you should have time and $$ to improve yourself instead, and get on your own feet. THEN you can use drugs on your own dime, not min.

North Carolina has a debt of $55 billion and counting. It doesn't seem like they are doing too much work other then spending money they do not have. I still remain wary of this program, if the numbers prove me wrong than I will support drug testing program. We'll see...

They should also test the members of the North Carolina legislature as well. Just b/c you wear a suit or a dress doesn't make living off the taxpayers dime any more noble.

To me that is nothing more than a gotcha moment. People working in the legislature are "working." They are not receiving government benefits designed (theoretically) to get them on their feet and back to being productive members of society. A legislative rep toking up on a camping weekend isn't costing me anything.

To me drug use such as pot isn't my concern, unless I'm paying for your benefits, AND you are not producing anything of value. THEN it's my concern because if you have time $$ for drugs, you should have time and $$ to improve yourself instead, and get on your own feet. THEN you can use drugs on your own dime, not min.

North Carolina has a debt of $55 billion and counting. It doesn't seem like they are doing too much work other then spending money they do not have. I still remain wary of this program, if the numbers prove me wrong than I will support drug testing program. We'll see...

That's a problem shared by most states, and the issue isn't drugs, I don't see a difference between a stoned government spending money it doesn't have and a sober government spending money it doesn't have.

Ya know, the more I read about this, the more I am wavering. This applies only to NC's Work First program and the benefits mostly remain intact do the to the fact that children are involved. What the hell is the point then? I am starting to lean towards redundant and wasteful.

LOL Every government program is wasteful. Besides this is a "great economy" according to the Obamabots, get a job.

I wouldn't go that far but I feel you. lol. I don't put much stock the inane prattle of any political and partisan robots.

Ya know, the more I read about this, the more I am wavering. This applies only to NC's Work First program and the benefits mostly remain intact do the to the fact that children are involved. What the hell is the point then? I am starting to lean towards redundant and wasteful.

LOL Every government program is wasteful. Besides this is a "great economy" according to the Obamabots, get a job.

I wouldn't go that far but I feel you. lol. I don't put much stock the inane prattle of any political and partisan robots.

Currently Obamie's "great economy" is going south...to hell in a hand basket. The markets are going to be a blood bath today

I agree

We should be sure our legislators are not using illegal drugs

That's a problem shared by most states, and the issue isn't drugs, I don't see a difference between a stoned government spending money it doesn't have and a sober government spending money it doesn't have.

I agree. It is just a tad bit hypocritical to be chiding welfare recipients about the prudent use of taxpayer dollars all the while they spend money that the state doesn't have. Meh.

Currently Obamie's "great economy" is going south...to hell in a hand basket. The markets are going to be a blood bath today

The world markets are going to hell in a handbasket

Meanwhile, we have the strongest currency on the planet and an unemployment rate that just dropped to 4.9%

I agree. It is just a tad bit hypocritical to be chiding welfare recipients about the prudent use of taxpayer dollars all the while they spend money that the state doesn't have. Meh.

Almost like drug users spending money on drugs and not buying food.

I agree with you.

Basically it comes down to, does it cost more to drug test them, or does it cost more to give them benifits?

IN other states, they had statisticians run the numbers, and the return on investment was a zero sum gain. It wasn't worth their time. They just didn't have the money to run the program.

On top of that, their lawyers told them they could potentially be facing privacy law suits, so they dropped the pursuit of this line of legislation. Financially, this punitive law just wasn't economically feasible.

Generally, when the poor turn to drug or alcohol abuse, it is because their circumstances are so shitty, they are trying to escape their lot, if only for a few hours. So in the end, if the state has extra money to spend on those poor souls, it should go toward mental health care. Those types of folk will by far be more employable with a few sessions with a therapist or counselor, not by having a drug test. . . .

Or, at least that is what makes the most economic sense. It might not gives us a sense of righteous justice, but it will go further toward solving societies problems. . . .

Almost like drug users spending money on drugs and not buying food.

You'll get not argument from me on that point. I just find it ironic. That's all.

I am chuckling a little to myself that while I am complaining about people not getting any work done I am sitting in front of the computer not getting any work done. :lol:

Isnt it funny that the left cries about how the governments cant handle making something affordable like a simple drug test, yet at the same time those exact same people will try to convince you that this same government is going to be able to handle the entire healthcare industry much better than anyone else?

It may appear to be so, but unless said reps are getting food stamps or welfare as well, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Forum List

Back