Nevada to join National Popular Vote compact

The Nevada Senate approved Tuesday a National Popular Vote bill on a party-line vote, sending the legislation aimed at upending the Electoral College to the governor.

Assembly Bill 186, which passed the Senateon a 12-8 vote, would bring Nevada into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, an agreement between participating states to cast their electoral votes for the winner of the popular vote.

If signed as expected by Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak, Nevada would become the 16th jurisdiction to join the compact, along with 14 states and the District of Columbia. The compact would take effect after states totaling 270 electoral votes, and with Nevada, the total would reach 195.

Nevada Senate passes National Popular Vote bill on party-line vote

That’s 2 new states in less than 2 months. The NPV keeps chugging along.
How is it that the left sets it’s hair on fire claiming voter suppression when it comes to voter ID laws...but praises a law that will ignore what it’s state constituents vote for in favor of what the rest of the country voted for. Let’s say it’s trump v Biden, Nevada votes Biden but the nation votes trump...ALL THE EC VOTES GO TO TRUMP???? Does that seem right to you? How the fuck is that not voter suppression?
I claim the popular vote should decide, and so I have to be okay with that being the outcome.
No you clearly don’t care about the popular vote in Nevada, let’s say this was a race for the governorship in Texas. In a bid to try and sway the election in favor of their party the mayor of Dallas says all our votes will be afforded to whatever candidate the rest of the state votes for in the end. You effectively take away the voting power of the constituents of Dallas, and give that power to the the rural/suburban areas. This is exactly the same thing as this bat shit legislation.

This clearly shows that y’all could give 2 shits about “voter suppression”. You care about winning by whatever means. You’re acting like the EC is evil for forcing candidates to not just be the most popular, but be the most popular in ALL of the regions. You call foul on EC for taking and watering down people’s votes...and then go ahead and pass legislation to completely ignore the will of an entire state. You can officially stop hiding behind good intentions now
Your scenario is stupid. The Texas governor is elected by popular vote. Not by some system Crawford invented to make some votes worth more than others. 1 person, 1 vote.

I'm going to say this one more time. Each state certifies their vote tallies. So, Nevada would count all those votes up, add their own to it and then they would be able to give the winner of the popular vote their ec votes. Whoa...magic and shit.
Each state certifies their vote tallies to whom? They are not required to share those tallies with anyone else.

But. who. certifies. the. national. vote.

There is no such thing as a national vote, and even if the compact passes enough States to have the EV's, there won't be an actual, certified, national vote either.

The States are required to send the electors of the winner of the national vote, that doesn't exist.
And, non-participating states are not required to share the election results with other states, so now we have a bunch of electors who can do whatever the fuck they want because no state will give up the election results.

So, now we are back to the original intent of the EC? Sounds like a GREAT plan.

:laughing0301:

There is still not overall organization that would certify the final tally. Even ignoring States not being required to report the vote totals to a certifying agency that doesn't exist.

No, you didn't. You seemed to have misunderstood several parts of it though.

you ignore that my issue is with certification. Who certifies it so the compact is enforced?

Each...state...certifies...their...vote...tallies.

There is no such thing as a national vote, and even if the compact passes enough States to have the EV's, there won't be an actual, certified, national vote either.

The States are required to send the electors of the winner of the national vote, that doesn't exist.

I'm going to say this one more time. Each state certifies their vote tallies. So, Nevada would count all those votes up, add their own to it and then they would be able to give the winner of the popular vote their ec votes. Whoa...magic and shit.

that's not certification of the entire vote. All it would take is one State in the Compact to have an issue and the whole thing would collapse.

That can happen anyway. I'm sure we wouldn't find out who the winner is on the same night as the election, but it's not a race to get the results so I'm fine with that.

Another yutz who doesn't know what a strawman argument is. I answered your tax question, basically taxes aren't voted on by the people so you're point doesn't make sense at all, even if you did realize your orignal statement is kind of dumb and you followed up with more dumb.
That's why I asked. If not strawman, which is it?

So, you're saying that people don't base their votes for a particular candidate on whether that candidate promises a tax cut? What point are you trying to make?

Each state certifies their vote tallies to whom? They are not required to share those tallies with anyone else.

They would share, they signed up for it and they share it anyway today.

you ignore that my issue is with certification. Who certifies it so the compact is enforced?

that's not certification of the entire vote. All it would take is one State in the Compact to have an issue and the whole thing would collapse.

That can happen anyway. I'm sure we wouldn't find out who the winner is on the same night as the election, but it's not a race to get the results so I'm fine with that.

But if those votes from the one State impact the popular vote winner, the whole compact becomes a question.

When does the compact get executed, when is the drop dead date, what happens if a State doesn't like the end result of the compact and tried to withdraw from it?

Another yutz who doesn't know what a strawman argument is. I answered your tax question, basically taxes aren't voted on by the people so you're point doesn't make sense at all, even if you did realize your orignal statement is kind of dumb and you followed up with more dumb.
That's why I asked. If not strawman, which is it?

So, you're saying that people don't base their votes for a particular candidate on whether that candidate promises a tax cut? What point are you trying to make?

I didn't bring up the tax thing, you'll have to ask that person.

What about the States that didn't sign up? Their votes count towards the national vote.

What would stop them from trying to prevent the compact from being enforced by withholding their vote totals?

Democrats look more idiotic than ever before and that is saying something.

What if half the states refuse to share?

Will the pact members just make up a result based on guestimates?

No way in hell that backfires, right?

Thus, it is essentially a pact to vote for a particular party, regardless of the popular vote outcome.

But if those votes from the one State impact the popular vote winner, the whole compact becomes a question.

When does the compact get executed, when is the drop dead date, what happens if a State doesn't like the end result of the compact and tried to withdraw from it?

I guess they'll need more time, those same states certify their numbers today and while on occasion there can be a delay, it gets done. There isn't much of a change here.

When does the compact get executed? Well, if you read anything about it the compact doesn't kick in unless there a minimum of 270 electoral votes in it. So if one state backs out and they are less than the 270 then they all revert to the electoral college. If a state backs out but those that remain are still over 270 then it doesn't matter.

See? logic!

What about the States that didn't sign up? Their votes count towards the national vote.

What would stop them from trying to prevent the compact from being enforced by withholding their vote totals?

If states outside of the compact withhold their votes? I guess those votes won't be counted then, probably not a good idea for that state, don't ya' think? Sounds like they would be creating a monumental mistake by doing such.

I guess they'll need more time, those same states certify their numbers today and while on occasion there can be a delay, it gets done. There isn't much of a change here.
They can certify without giving numbers to anyone. How will the popular vote be determined if states refuse to share numbers?

When does the compact get executed? Well, if you read anything about it the compact doesn't kick in unless there a minimum of 270 electoral votes in it. So if one state backs out and they are less than the 270 then they all revert to the electoral college. If a state backs out but those that remain are still over 270 then it doesn't matter.
But, even with 270 on it, that still does not determine the popular vote.

What if half the states refuse to share?

Will the pact members just make up a result based on guestimates?

No way in hell that backfires, right?

Thus, it is essentially a pact to vote for a particular party, regardless of the popular vote outcome.

As perviously stated the compact requires states that equal at least 270 electoral votes, if they don't have that they revert to the electoral college. If states outside of the compact hold back their votes then that would be that states problem and they would most likely have some explaining to do for their own residents.

This is really childish stuff.

If states outside of the compact withhold their votes? I guess those votes won't be counted then, probably not a good idea for that state, don't ya' think? Sounds like they would be creating a monumental mistake by doing such.
Or, that gives states incentives to ignore the votes of their own citizens and do whatever the fuck they want, like a de facto GOP or Dem vote, regardless of the outcome within that state.

See? logic!

Yes, because a large State leaving because it didn't get the result it wanted won't cause mayhem.

And it doesn't matter if the compact says you cant leave within 6 months of an election or in that period before the President is elected by the electors, There is NO enforcement of this because it is outside the Constitution.

They can certify without giving numbers to anyone. How will the popular vote be determined if states refuse to share numbers?

But, even with 270 on it, that still does not determine the popular vote.

I want you to sit back and think about the 270 and why it matters that the compact have at least that many electors. Can you do that for me?

That would eliminate an accurate national vote, which still wouldn't exist as a certified number.

Forum List

Back