New drug being developed ... 'could help humans live until they are 150'

Drugs that could combat ageing and help people to live to 150-years-old may be available within five years, following landmark research.

The new drugs are synthetic versions of resveratrol which is found in red wine and is believed to have an anti-ageing effect as it boosts activity of a protein called SIRT1.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline has been testing the medications on patients suffering with medical conditions including cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

The work proves that a single anti-ageing enzyme in the body can be targeted, with the potential to prevent age-related diseases and extend lifespans.

Read more: New drug being developed using compound found in red wine 'could help humans live until they are 150' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This would be a disaster in our current society.

We already cannot afford to take care of our aged.

Not if everyone retires at age 65. However, if they remain healthy, there's no reason people can't work until much later.

They've been playing with resveratol for some time now, grapejuice is supposedly good for you too.

The drug companies like to play around with basic structures of a known medicinal compound, add a methyl group here on the molecule, an amino group there, a hydroxyl in another spot and if it works, fine, then patent it and "Lets see, whats the latest new wonder drug selling for (accompanied by the marketing departments and the accounting departments all wetting their forefingers in unison and placing them above their heads in the air, collectively, as if checking to see which direction the wind is blowing)? "We'll sell it for a hundred dollars more. That sounds fair enough!"

Eli Lilly discovered the antibiotic chemical Cephalexin, which they then patented and gave the trade name Keflex to, coming out of the sewage outlet of a Greek city into the Aegean Sea in the period after WWII ended when all the drug companies were involved in massive, Herculean efforts to discover new penicillin like compounds. In 1974 a bottle of 100, 500mg capsules, brand name, went for a lousy twenty bucks.
In 1982, after the introduction of Cipro, which entered the market at a price of $200 for a bottle of fifty, Lilly raised the price of their product to match that of the Miles antibiotic. The last price I can remember for a bottle of Keflex 500, before Lilly stopped marketing it, was around the 500 dollar mark. Nobody was buying it anyway, because it was available generically.

New products usually follow a normal market progression: When they're first introduced its "This stuff is wonderful. I want to put all my patients on it!"
After a couple of months its "The stuff has got some drawbacks, you have to use it with care."
After a year its usually "I wouldn't give this stuff to a dog!"

Yeah, you'll live to 150, as long as you don't get run over in the Walmart parking lot while you're wandering around trying to find your car.

Great conversation topic though. Lets say life expectancy hit 150. Lets say this pill was the medical equivalent of say..the wheel, or fire, or flight. Or other human turning points over history.

How would we adjust for resources? The amount of housing, food, water, jobs, etc, we'd need if people lived to 150!!!? We'd have to either begin a population control program, or build underwater cities, or something. We'd run out of food and water and gas and shelter and jobs.

Yeah, they've been saying we're going to run out of resources for centuries. They've been wrong again and again.

There will still be diseases. There will still be violence and accidents. I doubt wars will stop.

We will have signifnicantly more people working able to work longer periods. You act as if jobs are finite. They aren't. Anyone can work. And jobs will be alot easier to find if we have some sane government policies that arent making it more difficult to work.

People will find creative solutions to interesting problems.

Thats a good point, and another great conversation. As a sociology major in the early 90's, I remember the population explosion crisis many in that field were talking about. 20 years later, we're still fat and living open and free. But we have gotten more crowded, and resources like oil and food and healthcare have gotten more expensive.

As for war, I tend to agree with the Ancient Aliens guys on TV. Eventually, as a species evolves, their weapons evolve to a point where there are only two possibilities: Total annihalation because weapons are so powerful, or, no war. I think we are getting to a point where, maybe in 200-300 years, there wont be anymore true war. Just crime. We'll probably have more of a global government, and military power will be 90% a policing role rather than a continent vs continent war like role. Our weapons are so powerful now we'll naturally evolve to less war (or total extinction).

But as for the resources argument...we only have so much land. Just do the math, eventually you run out of room. They have already begun talking about building "up" and not out, with skyscrapers dedicated to farming, basically a narrow building that thins as it goes up, with flat exposed steps that crops can grow on. We have plenty of open land, but, thats farm land. And the push to grow enough food is already leading to the addition of chemicals like growth horomones to corn and cows, which are bad for humans and leads to the need for medication to counter the side effects.

So yeah, right now it's not a big deal. But if we start living to 150 and beyond...and we do that for 200-300 years, and we continue on the birth rate we are on now, we WILL run out of room and food.

But, that said, I hope and truly think human destiny will lead to living on other planets. The moon. Mars. Where ever that may lead, I think Earth is going to be home base, but, say, 5,000 years from now, if humans still exist, we wont only be on the Earth. Crazy thoughts, but I'd love to see what Earth and humanity looks like in the year 7013.

This just in: saliva causes cancer. But only if you swallow it in small amounts over a long period of time.

Um...a friend wanted me to ask if the active ingredients in the various forms of boner pills currently on the market will be up to the task of helping significantly older guys get up for the big game?

Um...a friend wanted me to ask if the active ingredients in the various forms of boner pills currently on the market will be up to the task of helping significantly older guys get up for the big game?

My... *ahem*... "friend" was wondering the same thing.... :eusa_shhh:

Drugs that could combat ageing and help people to live to 150-years-old may be available within five years, following landmark research.

The new drugs are synthetic versions of resveratrol which is found in red wine and is believed to have an anti-ageing effect as it boosts activity of a protein called SIRT1.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline has been testing the medications on patients suffering with medical conditions including cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

The work proves that a single anti-ageing enzyme in the body can be targeted, with the potential to prevent age-related diseases and extend lifespans.

Read more: New drug being developed using compound found in red wine 'could help humans live until they are 150' | Mail Online

If one goalpost gets changed, its only logical to change the other. Take the pill, renounce S.S. payments or some such thing.

Yeah....just leave it....

What's the worse that could happen?

:eusa_whistle:

Not if everyone retires at age 65. However, if they remain healthy, there's no reason people can't work until much later.

Yeah that's a good point, I suppose

However, the burden of people on this earth, if people live to 150 is going to have to be solved, first, if people typically live long enough to meet their great, great, GREAT grandchildren.

:eek:

They sell reservatol supplements at every sports supplement store in America now. And red wine...well, a glass a day is great for the health.

Yet another "magic pill" that Big Pharma is gonna market to morons, charge outrageous prices for, jack up insurance companies to pay for it.

Big Pharma is the biggest scam in America. We are overdrugging ourselves. 95% of all pills are shit that could easily be aquired through proper diet and a modest fitness program. But, they convince us we need a pill for every annoyance in life.

This will be yet another. "No no no, dont stop eating cheeseburgers, pizza, beer, smoking....just take this pill to treat all the side effects of a shitty lifestyle."

What a scam.

these drugs are 100 times stronger than resveratrol, so the effects of supplements are hardly comparable. You could take supplements until your stomach was bulging and still not get the same effect as one pill of one these new drugs.

I don't see what's wrong with a drug that let's you continue eating cheeseburgers, pizza and beer. I like cheeseburgers.

There's a strain of Calvinism among liberals that says we're all supposed to suffer. I don't buy into that. If medical science can allow us to live the way we want to and remain healthy, then I'm all for it.

Who knows, maybe they've really found the fountain of youth. But I doubt it.

No, I became a nutrition and fitness fanatic many years ago. I began training in brazilian jiu-jitsu, and that community is fanatical about clean nutrition. Over the years, I realized that eating a daily super salad with stuff like spinach, wheat grass, beets, carrots, broccoli, aqai berries, blueberries, olive oil dressing......along with healty meals in the rest of the day, no soda, no alcohol, no smoking, daily exercise, and daily training....would release the built up physical and mental stress the body holds, as well as keep the body and mind fit and sharp.

I just dont buy into an industry that ends up with soccer moms giving their 13 year old son a regiment of pills for rare conditions like "moodiness", or "anger", or "depression", or........well puberty.

Its amazing how many people in suburbs (aka, have health insurance) are being pushed towards more and more pills for anything and everything.

And the root cause of it is shitty nutrition: Processed meat in burgers, high glycemic index foods like bread, excessive fat and cholesterol from cheese, SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR in everything we eat. It's pure poison we put into our bodies, then, we try to cure the side effects by putting more poisons into our body (yes, medication is POISON. Anything that can kill you with a high enough dose is poison, a toxin. Our bodies weren't meant to be a test tube to simply try balancing the toxins of bad food with the toxins of bad medicine).

Hell, just.....

MINIMIZE STRESS!!!!!!

celebrate.jpg

It's STRESS that kills ya'!!!!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-kFlVcg-cU]Marijuana smoking grandparents - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back