New York lawmakers look to ban cops who resign, are fired for misconduct, from being rehired elsewhere

Actually, the police don't have a strong union at all. Liberals have been trying to abolish police unions for decades, putting them at the mercy of politicians.

In fact, police officers are the only workers who should be left union-less according to the left.

They are even trying to get rid of qualified immunity for police officers. The left hates police officers and always did.

So you think they would welcome a potential lawsuit if this ticking time bomb goes off in their town?

In our state a police officer shot and killed a teen who was trying to kill another teen and quite possibly saved her life. Now if they fire him for saving a girls life, should he never be allowed to work on a police force again?

I expect this to be a contentious topic but one that should occur nonetheless
Lawmakers in New York introduced joint legislation Saturday that would ban police officers who are forced to resign or are fired over disciplinary issues from being rehired in another jurisdiction in the state.

"Accountability is a must," state Sen. Brian Benjamin, a Democrat who is proposing the bill, told CBS News.

Police officers must be held to a higher standard because of their "power and the privilege to enforce the law," he said.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who introduced a collaborative bill at the local level, said, "wandering officers" were "twice as likely to commit physical and sexual misconduct," the New York Daily News reported...

I think it's a very good idea.

A cop who has been fired over disciplinary issues should never be a cop again.

The facts are clear. They will just move to another place without changing their behavior.

People like that need to find a different line of work than being a cop.

Lawmakers in New York introduced joint legislation Saturday that would ban police officers who are forced to resign or are fired over disciplinary issues from being rehired in another jurisdiction in the state.

"Accountability is a must," state Sen. Brian Benjamin, a Democrat who is proposing the bill, told CBS News.

Police officers must be held to a higher standard because of their "power and the privilege to enforce the law," he said.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who introduced a collaborative bill at the local level, said, "wandering officers" were "twice as likely to commit physical and sexual misconduct," the New York Daily News reported...

The facts are clear. They will just move to another place without changing their behavior.

Its a bit like the church shuffling paedo priests around.

It's only a valid law in the state. Other states and jurisdictions are actively recruiting in woke states like New York and California.

Police credentials do not transfer across state lines. While you can go get hired elsewhere it would mean going through an academy all over again. I imagine there are more than a few officers that could not longer meet the physical requirements of a police academy.

They do not have to go to the police academy all over again. Where do you get that from?

The son of a friend of mine wanted to be a cop, and was having a hard time because it was such an in demand job. So he went to the police academy and paid for it himself to try to get a jump on the other applicants. It worked. He finally got a job and didn't have to go to the academy all over again.

I'm not interested in your fairy tales.

IMO it will be without any laws for the most part. Police forces aren't going to want to take on the liability of someone who has been fired elsewhere like in the past.

Any officer that screws up elsewhere and gets hired somewhere else and screws up is going to bring a lot of people down with him now.

What about the Chicago police officer that shot and killed that kid with a gun? If he gets fired, should he not be allowed to ever an officer anywhere else?

No.

"another jurisdiction in the state".

From the OP.

The bill would prohibit police departments in New York state from hiring officers who were fired or resigned while under investigation for disciplinary action or while facing pending legal charges and would apply to out-of-state officers as well, CBS reported.

New York can decide to not hire officers fired in other states. My reply was addressing saying that New York was making this apply to anywhere other than NY. I expect you know that though.

So you think they would welcome a potential lawsuit if this ticking time bomb goes off in their town?

In our state a police officer shot and killed a teen who was trying to kill another teen and quite possibly saved her life. Now if they fire him for saving a girls life, should he never be allowed to work on a police force again?
Are they firing him?

Why do cultural fascists call opponents commies?

They are anything but, and the fascists are the ones that want a tyranny here.

Simple answer: Go to the US Communist Party website and read their agenda. You will see few differences between theirs and the Democrat agenda. Also, look at their articles on past presidential contenders. See who they hated and see who they supported.
That's merely your assertion. Prove it, which you won't because you can't.

Democrats are spiteful haters, always looking to cancel or destroy the lives of anyone who disagrees with their totalitarian opinions. Here in Pa. we laugh at this kind of proclamation. NY has no more say here than Biden telling us that if we're obedient little sheep we might be able to have a family get together on the 4th of July. Democrats are overbearing assholes. Everyone needs to vote straight Republican in the midterms if we ever hope to restore this country to greatness. We're sliding fast

It helps if you read the article.

They aren't expecting Pennsylvania to do anything.
My mistake. But I don't see how any small or medium size upstate town would want to obey this bullshit law either. It's like legislative blackballing or cancelling. It's an infringement on personal freedom. This law is probably unconstitutional. This type of attitude by NY legislators is far from what our founders intended and is probably the reason they created the electoral college to check City insanity.
Why would any area want to employ a dirty cop ? Apart from anything else it would surely invalidate their insurance cover.

They wouldn't. But just because someone is forced to leave one department doesn't make them "corrupt".
I agree. However corrupt is just a part of it. They could be lazy, cowardly, disruptive, racist or any other form of bad behaviour.
Diversity, political correctness and quotas was supposed to dramatically improve all these things. You will figure it out someday.

You almost gotta laugh that lefties whine that convicted felons who are released from prison are unable to get a job while they would deny former Police Officers a chance to make a living because they were accused of "misconduct". Don't the NYC libs have enough on their plate without turning on former Police Officers?

Why do cultural fascists call opponents commies?

They are anything but, and the fascists are the ones that want a tyranny here.

Simple answer: Go to the US Communist Party website and read their agenda. You will see few differences between theirs and the Democrat agenda. Also, look at their articles on past presidential contenders. See who they hated and see who they supported.
That's merely your assertion. Prove it, which you won't because you can't.

The Communist Party USA endorsed Sleepy Joe- and Hillary and Obama before him.

They see no difference between themselves and the liberal D's.

Its a bit like the church shuffling paedo priests around.

It's very much like that.

In my opinion, some people shouldn't be working in law enforcement as police officers for a myriad of reasons, but any time you try to tell someone that they can't pursue their "dream job" then you're going to get push back on a lot of different fronts.

Some police officers are in it for the wrong reasons, they are afraid of some of the people they have to deal with as an officer, some are apparently afraid to get physical with a subject/suspect (belligerent drunks or uncooperative/resisting subjects for example) and default to shooting as a resolution to whatever problem they're having, because they "feared for their life" in situations that weren't actually life threatening. Seems like some of them have forgotten that this is what they signed up for when they became a police officer or they believed that the risk of them having to deal with that kind of physical confrontation was unlikely.

The only other time I've seen recently where action was taken to prevent officers who had been fired from one agency from being hired by other agency within the same state was in North Carolina when a couple of Wilmington officers were caught on their patrol vehicle's monitoring system using derogatory language and racial slurs when referring to some of the black citizens they serve.

What I really think is that if we could trust the individuals and agencies to properly screen and evaluate applicants on an individual basis then there wouldn't be a need for this legislation, but far too many instances are coming to light where an officer has a history of problematic and/or dangerous behavior that is excused away if they really want or need to hire them.

Democrats are spiteful haters, always looking to cancel or destroy the lives of anyone who disagrees with their totalitarian opinions. Here in Pa. we laugh at this kind of proclamation. NY has no more say here than Biden telling us that if we're obedient little sheep we might be able to have a family get together on the 4th of July. Democrats are overbearing assholes. Everyone needs to vote straight Republican in the midterms if we ever hope to restore this country to greatness. We're sliding fast
What the hell do the Democrats have to do with bad cops?

Forum List

Back