New York lawmakers look to ban cops who resign, are fired for misconduct, from being rehired elsewhere

Democrats are spiteful haters, always looking to cancel or destroy the lives of anyone who disagrees with their totalitarian opinions. Here in Pa. we laugh at this kind of proclamation. NY has no more say here than Biden telling us that if we're obedient little sheep we might be able to have a family get together on the 4th of July. Democrats are overbearing assholes. Everyone needs to vote straight Republican in the midterms if we ever hope to restore this country to greatness. We're sliding fast

Interesting that you mention Pennsylvania. When I read this news I thought that it was a good thing since it would help prevent what happened in Pennsylvania.

A thug cop resigned from one department and was hired by a small town department. His brutality followed. This time the lawsuits bankrupted the town and caused them to have to shut down the entire police department.

How safe do you think the residents are without a single cop to call? How well served are your fellow Pennsylvanians with a boarded up police station?

So why not get some of your hoodies together and go plunder the place? The crime rate didn't skyrocket, and is nowhere near New York's or Chicago's of Baltimore's,

I expect this to be a contentious topic but one that should occur nonetheless
Lawmakers in New York introduced joint legislation Saturday that would ban police officers who are forced to resign or are fired over disciplinary issues from being rehired in another jurisdiction in the state.

"Accountability is a must," state Sen. Brian Benjamin, a Democrat who is proposing the bill, told CBS News.

Police officers must be held to a higher standard because of their "power and the privilege to enforce the law," he said.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who introduced a collaborative bill at the local level, said, "wandering officers" were "twice as likely to commit physical and sexual misconduct," the New York Daily News reported...

Some states won't license doctors who have lost their license in other states. Florida is an exception.

Lawmakers in New York introduced joint legislation Saturday that would ban police officers who are forced to resign or are fired over disciplinary issues from being rehired in another jurisdiction in the state.

"Accountability is a must," state Sen. Brian Benjamin, a Democrat who is proposing the bill, told CBS News.

Police officers must be held to a higher standard because of their "power and the privilege to enforce the law," he said.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who introduced a collaborative bill at the local level, said, "wandering officers" were "twice as likely to commit physical and sexual misconduct," the New York Daily News reported...

Sounds sort of stupid. Just because a gentleman was unsuccessful as a police officer in Limestone or Watertown, doesn't mean that they won't be able to turn it around in New York City, which is a very different jurisdiction.

Further, the NYPD wouldn't be FORCED to hire him, they would just be ALLOWED to do so if they and the officer think it would be a good match.

What law could the New York legislature pass that would have any relevance in the other 49 states?
They could force police to wear tattoos like the Nazis made the Jews wear so they could be easily identified and returned to their original owner.

But if their owner does not want them back, maybe tell them to go take a "shower"

This seems to be such a simple step its surprising that this measure is not already in place. So basically a cop sacked for misconduct in New York can join the police force in New Jersey. A recipe for disaster.
Yes! I like what the other guy said about tattoos to mark them for life as well. Police officers are like Nazis. Let them remember that for the rest of their lives.

there's really not a problem of police brutality/etc--so the issue is moot

Sounds sort of stupid. Just because a gentleman was unsuccessful as a police officer in Limestone or Watertown, doesn't mean that they won't be able to turn it around in New York City, which is a very different jurisdiction.

Further, the NYPD wouldn't be FORCED to hire him, they would just be ALLOWED to do so if they and the officer think it would be a good match.

Corruption, fraud, brutality in the police officer's record are serious issues in any jurisiction.

hahhahahahahahh
...the NYC council OBVIOUSLY is stupid ..crime rates UP--not down
just like in many cities run by Dems and Blacks---boom baby---shot you down before you even got in the air

40%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good thing STL got rid of those statues
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Democrats are spiteful haters, always looking to cancel or destroy the lives of anyone who disagrees with their totalitarian opinions. Here in Pa. we laugh at this kind of proclamation. NY has no more say here than Biden telling us that if we're obedient little sheep we might be able to have a family get together on the 4th of July. Democrats are overbearing assholes. Everyone needs to vote straight Republican in the midterms if we ever hope to restore this country to greatness. We're sliding fast

It helps if you read the article.

They aren't expecting Pennsylvania to do anything.
My mistake. But I don't see how any small or medium size upstate town would want to obey this bullshit law either. It's like legislative blackballing or cancelling. It's an infringement on personal freedom. This law is probably unconstitutional. This type of attitude by NY legislators is far from what our founders intended and is probably the reason they created the electoral college to check City insanity.
Why would any area want to employ a dirty cop ? Apart from anything else it would surely invalidate their insurance cover.

Corruption, fraud, brutality in the police officer's record are serious issues in any jurisiction.

I'm sure that they are.

But these are officers whose alleged misbehavior didn't rise to the level of a crime, and it could have just been a misunderstanding or a bad match at the previous employer. If someone doesn't work out at Target, it doesn't mean they are washed up forever in big box retail and should never be allowed to work at Walmart.

Like I was saying, give the departments an opportunity as well as the officer to explain themselves.

My mistake. But I don't see how any small or medium size upstate town would want to obey this bullshit law either. It's like legislative blackballing or cancelling. It's an infringement on personal freedom. This law is probably unconstitutional. This type of attitude by NY legislators is far from what our founders intended and is probably the reason they created the electoral college to check City insanity.
Why would any area want to employ a dirty cop ? Apart from anything else it would surely invalidate their insurance cover.

They wouldn't. But just because someone is forced to leave one department doesn't make them "corrupt".

They wouldn't. But just because someone is forced to leave one department doesn't make them "corrupt".
I agree. However corrupt is just a part of it. They could be lazy, cowardly, disruptive, racist or any other form of bad behaviour.

I don't like any mention of a state or federal board evaluating whether a cop is hirable. There are too many crooked and agenda driven people in government. I don't think being fired or forced to resign for someone's idea of misconduct should be a life sentence. A case in point would be the cop who shot the girl in Columbus. Certain people think this guy should be fired. Other people think he saved another girls life with his quick action. With this law, if he were fired even though so many people think he was right, he would be blackballed for life. His future could be in the hands of some idiot like Tlaib or Omar. Another alarm goes off when you have criminals like Sharpton involved. Sharpton never did anything for the benefit of anyone but himself. He's a professional trouble maker who raises money by promoting hatred. If they want to promote anything, they should create a national database, if it doesn't exist already, for every cops performance. That way any town will be aware of what they are hiring. People or towns should be able to decide which flaws, if any, they are willing to accept. Just think If this proposed law would be used in the NFL. How many players would be banned forever? Antonio Brown is happy no radical rule like that exists in the NFL. Nope. I see this law as unfair bullshit.

I don't like any mention of a state or federal board evaluating whether a cop is hirable. There are too many crooked and agenda driven people in government. I don't think being fired or forced to resign for someone's idea of misconduct should be a life sentence. A case in point would be the cop who shot the girl in Columbus. Certain people think this guy should be fired. Other people think he saved another girls life with his quick action. With this law, if he were fired even though so many people think he was right, he would be blackballed for life. His future could be in the hands of some idiot like Tlaib or Omar. Another alarm goes off when you have criminals like Sharpton involved. Sharpton never did anything for the benefit of anyone but himself. He's a professional trouble maker who raises money by promoting hatred. If they want to promote anything, they should create a national database for every cops performance. That way any town will be aware of what they are hiring. People or towns should be able to decide which flaws, if any, they are willing to accept. Just think If this proposed law would be used in the NFL. How many players would be banned forever? Antonio Brown is happy no radical rule like that exists in the NFL. Nope. I see this law as unfair bullshit.

Why not? State Boards made up of peers censure doctors and nurses or take their licenses altogether.

I agree. However corrupt is just a part of it. They could be lazy, cowardly, disruptive, racist or any other form of bad behaviour.

Or they could be none of that, and just didn't get along well with the local politicians or crime families because of a personality dispute.

Like I said, no other department would be forced to hire anyone.

Further, this law would make it a lot more difficult to get people to resign if there is a "bad fit" if they realize they would be blackballed statewide and would be screwed permanently.

Interesting that you mention Pennsylvania. When I read this news I thought that it was a good thing since it would help prevent what happened in Pennsylvania.

A thug cop resigned from one department and was hired by a small town department. His brutality followed. This time the lawsuits bankrupted the town and caused them to have to shut down the entire police department.

How safe do you think the residents are without a single cop to call? How well served are your fellow Pennsylvanians with a boarded up police station?

The problem is you race baiters have no real credibility any more, and getting fired from a police force in a left wing city is actually a badge of honor in most places now, despite you commies' best incompetent efforts at spin.

Wow. That’s amazing. I had no idea Conservatives enjoyed paying higher taxes. As was the point of the video you probably didn’t bother watching. Insurance for the city went from $2,000 a month to $10,000 a month. They couldn’t afford it. The only way to keep their police force would have been to what? Double taxes? Triple taxes?

That’s awesome though. I’m glad to hear Conservatives are big supporters for higher taxes. And this will be very good for the lawyers in town. I mean they are all going to be able to afford new Porsche’s. With Federal Lawsuits being filed by the dozens for your badge of honor cops they and their Porsche dealers thank you.

I don't like any mention of a state or federal board evaluating whether a cop is hirable. There are too many crooked and agenda driven people in government. I don't think being fired or forced to resign for someone's idea of misconduct should be a life sentence. A case in point would be the cop who shot the girl in Columbus. Certain people think this guy should be fired. Other people think he saved another girls life with his quick action. With this law, if he were fired even though so many people think he was right, he would be blackballed for life. His future could be in the hands of some idiot like Tlaib or Omar. Another alarm goes off when you have criminals like Sharpton involved. Sharpton never did anything for the benefit of anyone but himself. He's a professional trouble maker who raises money by promoting hatred. If they want to promote anything, they should create a national database for every cops performance. That way any town will be aware of what they are hiring. People or towns should be able to decide which flaws, if any, they are willing to accept. Just think If this proposed law would be used in the NFL. How many players would be banned forever? Antonio Brown is happy no radical rule like that exists in the NFL. Nope. I see this law as unfair bullshit.

Why not? State Boards made up of peers censure doctors and nurses or take their licenses altogether.

Lawyers review other lawyers and take their license to practice law. It happens to any and every other licensed professional. Except Cops. Then it is totally unconstitutional.

You have to understand. To radical RW types anything they don’t like is unconstitutional. If you quote the text that actually explains it then you are lying.

Picture Jim Jones and the Bible.

So why not get some of your hoodies together and go plunder the place? The crime rate didn't skyrocket, and is nowhere near New York's or Chicago's of Baltimore's,

Im busy identifying RW radicals. This way we can round them all up and insure they are put in camps. For re-education of course.

If a cop in NYC retaliated against some street thug who threw a pail of water on him and got fired by DiBlasio for not turning the other cheek, should that disqualify him from ever becoming a cop anywhere else in NY? When you give politicians that kind of power, they will abuse it.

I think the bigger worry for average citizens is increasing numbers of cops retiring and the difficulty of recruiting replacements

then there is the issue of cops forced to work on the streets who are retired on active duty

they go to work each day

but do as little as possible and are not going to risk their career over a domestic disturbance involving black people

so when the call comes in they might take it or they might not

Forum List

Back