NFL season might go 18 games

Then they should reduce the number of playoff teams.
Actually I think they should eliminate the playoff bye. No team should only play 3 games to win a championship

Teams will now be paying out the ass for at least two top tier QBs and other key player positions.

Ticket prices to the moon!

The average Washington Commanders ticket at their home field is already $112.00.

Parking (get this) is between $120 and $489!

Then they should reduce the number of playoff teams.

Not very likely. The more games they play, the more money they make.

Unless and until the NFL becomes way less popular, expect more not fewer games in the future.

And everything gains and loses popularity in the long haul. Boxing used to be a lot bigger and so was professional wrestling. But now you have MMA and other distractions for the teeming masses.

Maybe gay football, aka soccer, will take popularity from the NFL? That sport has taken over in large parts of the world.

With the greater risk of injury, they'll have even more incentive to turn it into a game of patty-cake.
3 Preseason Games 18 Regular Season Games 60 Man Roster after last cutdown 20 man Practice Squad ( I’m ok with this updating into 21st Century of the Game )

I don't know if people consider it a drawback, but it could extend the Super Bowl to mid-February.

Fuck yeah, the more the merrier

Too much of a good thing ain't good sometimes.

I'm fine with it as long as it gets to 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games. I really don't need any more than 18, and I know it's just a money grab... but then again, has any league not money-grabbed by extending their seasons?

Baseball went from 154 games in the late 1800's to 162 in 1961
Basketball went from 60 games in the 1940's and gradually built up to the classic 82 in 1967

There's a limit before you water a league down.. and baseball/basketball clearly watered themselves down way too much. I hope football doesn't do the same.

Too much of a good thing ain't good sometimes.

I'm fine with it as long as it gets to 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games. I really don't need any more than 18, and I know it's just a money grab... but then again, has any league not money-grabbed by extending their seasons?

Baseball went from 154 games in the late 1800's to 162 in 1961
Basketball went from 60 games in the 1940's and gradually built up to the classic 82 in 1967

There's a limit before you water a league down.. and baseball/basketball clearly watered themselves down way too much. I hope football doesn't do the same.
Personally I think they should shorten preseason to one game and do an 18 game season. It gives fans more meaningful football

Last edited:
Personally I think they should shorten preseason to one game and do an 18 game season. It give fans more meaningful football
Agreed... preseason games are a joke. Get your warmups with your team in mini-camps.

Agreed... preseason games are a joke. Get your warmups with your team in mini-camps.
Pre Season Games are in some cases Epic ( Jim Plunkett’s Last Game ) ( Lyle Alzado’s last Game in his comeback at 42 years old ) ( Joe Namath’s last game with the Rams ...

Pre Season Games are in some cases Epic ( Jim Plunkett’s Last Game ) ( Lyle Alzado’s last Game in his comeback at 42 years old ) ( Joe Namath’s last game with the Rams ...
These days preseason games are nothing.

They are like a fart in church.

The majority of veterans (those who take their career seriously at least) are already keeping themselves in shape during the off-season. I agree that mini-camp should be sufficient to get timing and rhythm down.

Now two bye weeks per team, Yeah?

More weeks with different numbers of games played so you never know who leading the DIV or out of playoff chases or Division winners until very late in the season. Don’t like the chaos. Baseball reconciles easier.

OK, I get it now....Streaming revenue....Watch Amazon and others get more games.

I predict that within five years it will be like the 70s again.....You will get to see two games on Sunday and one on Monday Night.....Maybe.

Forum List

Back