🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NH lawmaker opposes fourth graders’ bird bill with anti-abortion rant

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
New Hampshire lawmaker opposes fourth graders bird bill with antiabortion rant - Yahoo News

A class field trip to the state legislature to see how a bill becomes a law turned into a different kind of lesson for a group of New Hampshire fourth graders.

The students from Lincoln Akerman School in Hampton Falls, N.H., appeared before the state’s Environment and Agriculture Committee to propose a bill — H.B. 373 — that would have designated the red-tailed hawk as the New Hampshire state raptor. But somehow the debate turned to abortion and Planned Parenthood.

The bill came out of committee with a 10-8 “ought to pass” recommendation and headed to the House floor, where several legislators mocked it as a waste of time.

“We have little time to invest in this topic,” Rep. Christy Bartlett (D-Concord) said during her remarks opposing the bill. “The red-tailed hawk is a beautiful bird, but it’s ubiquitous. I’m not trying to be mean … but this is a prime example of being swayed against our better judgment. … We need your help to stay focused on issues of more importance this year.”

Rep. Warren Groen (R-Rochester) also opposed the bill by making a bizarre reference to abortion.

“As I was doing the research on this bill, I watched a couple of videos,” Groen said. “Its known for its extremely strong and sharp talons, with which it grasps its prey. It uses its razor-sharp beak to rip its victim to shreds, tearing it apart limb by limb. I guess the shame about making this a state bird is that it would serve as a much better mascot for Planned Parenthood.”

The bill ultimately failed to receive approval by a 160-133 vote.

Wow. What a fucking asshole. Is there something in the water in NH?

Forum List

Back